ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My efforts on the 197 today

Ok, as it was sunny, thought i would actually try and give the car a proper clean. Had the car 6 months and only really given it bucket and sponge washes.

So, out came the two buckets, the megs wash mitt and a big box of assorted AG goodies.

first up, check the car over:

IMG_407303JPG.gif

grubby roof lines

IMG_407202JPG.gif

doesnt look dirty but it is

IMG_407101JPG.gif

IMG_407404JPG.gif

grubby rear too

IMG_407606JPG.gif

IMG_407707JPG.gif

was pretty grubby, dust and dirt, bit of tar, really grubby wheels and a massive scratch and marks on the bonnet from where something hit my bonnet! also a couple of minor scratches on mirrors etc.

Sadly i dont have an outside tap, so no hose pipe for me!

On with a couple of buckets of warm water to start, no beading of water whatsoever lol.

IMG_407909JPG.gif

wet, but no beads

IMG_408010JPG.gif

again, no beads

IMG_408111JPG.gif

then onto AG shampoo and the megs wash mitt. love this mitt lol, you can really get into corners and no chance of dropping it.

IMG_408212JPG.gif

on with some shampoo

IMG_408313JPG.gif

scratch on the bonnet

IMG_408414JPG.gif

yeh, all scatches, to the left of coin, and below it (also worth noting coin stays on bonnet itself lol

Cleaned the car a couple of times like this, then out came the trolley jack. the aim was to remove wheels, give them a clean and put some poorboys sealent on them, while at the same time, clean inside wheel arches.

Sadly the trolley jack (after only just fitting under the car) would not lift the car high enough to actually get a front wheel off the ground! so that well and truly screwed that idea.

So wheels didnt get the best clean, but out came the AG clean wheels.

sprayed on liberally, and scrubbed with wheel cleaning brush, then rinsed with sponge. I love this stuff. eats through brake dust in seconds.

IMG_408515JPG.gif

grubby wheels

IMG_408616JPG.gif

extreme close up

IMG_408717JPG.gif

autoglymed and cleaned

IMG_408818JPG.gif

extreme close up, cleaned

Next up, couple of buckets of water over the car, then out with the megs clay bar kit.

IMG_408919JPG.gif

i love this pic lol

Never used a clay bar before, but thought the car would benefit from one. Lots and lots of quick detailer was sprayed on, clay well and truly kneeded and off i went. I could actually really feel the roof getting smoother as i worked gently at it.

I had a look at the clay and promptly soiled myself!! Yes that looks like the blue from my car!! Wiped the car down, and could not see any damage, still laquered etc but slightly worrying?! (anyone else had this?)

IMG_409020JPG.gif

poo!! thats my paint :S

decided to carry on regardless :S

clayed the car, rinsed and dried using a megs drying towel. lovely and easy job since i had stuck the towel in the washing machine and dried it the day before so it was as good as new.

Now to sort those scratches, worst was the mess on the bonnet. claying had done nothing. there were what looked like friction burns in the paint from whatever hit the car, and also a scratch about 2 inches wide, that looked like it had gone down to at least primer.

IMG_409121JPG.gif

still there after claying

IMG_409222JPG.gif

all gone! and i have to hold the coin in place, its that smooth now lol

Megs Scratch X came out, and i rubbed away for a while, and to my amazement, everything went! was great. no damage remaining at all.

Did the couple of other areas with equally good results

Next onto AG Super Resin polish. One panel at a time, applying with a megs polishing sponge, rubbing off with a microfibre.

Sadly thats as far as i got in the time i had (apart from some tyre shine, which was the AG one in a spray bottle which is far from impressive, didnt seem to do much at all).

I have some AG extra gloss protection to go on tomorrow night, and some dodo juice blue velvet for some point!!

Now for some after shots, all pics taken on Canon 400D btw

IMG_409323JPG.gif

IMG_409424JPG.gif

IMG_409525JPG.gif

IMG_409727JPG.gif

IMG_409828JPG.gif

IMG_410131JPG.gif

IMG_410232JPG.gif

IMG_410333JPG.gif

IMG_410434JPG.gif

IMG_410939JPG.gif

IMG_411040JPG.gif

looks awesome, would have had the same reaction looking at the clay i think!

fair amount of orange peel on it, was it like that from new?

yep, thats Renault for you lol! 197s are all like that, although the close ups dont help. its new waterbased paints i think :(

only shows up on the boot pic, the rest of them car looks stunning. didnt mean that to sound harsh by the way, was just surprised by it, dont think my 172 is like that so could well be new paints.

magpie, i see you used to be dawn, are you the one with the massive amount of detailing stuff?

can i ask what you think to the orange peel and the blue residue in the clay bar. general consensus is the blue could be overspray which i dont like the sound of.

do you think the boot looks excessively orange peely for a 197?