ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My FINAL Oil Thread

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Brun

I just ordered Silkolene Pro Race oil 5W 40 as my car has almost done 1500 miles and thus is due for a change. Hope it is as good as you say. Is it Semi of fully Synthetic? Ordered it from their website, if I had known they were in Rochdale I would have picked some up at the weekend as I was staying in a hotel there.

Hope the fact it is pink does not affect the performance of the oil.

Thanks for the advice. :)

greeper, it is Fully Synthetic and that is the exact stuff that I am going to be using too, I am sure BRUN is working on commission ! He must think this oil is good, he would not want loads of guys looking for him with crocked 172s ! ha ha !
;)

I have done 2000 miles in mine and am going to change it on the weekend, you changing the filter too ???

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea its fully synth, i wish i was on commission, i just like spreading the word about products ive used that ive liked a lot

i did a lot of research into oils, lookin at lots of things on the net, i know lots of useless information :D

Well I am going by what you have said BRUN so I will let you know what I think, dont suppose I will notice my difference ?

Piece of mind it is anyway so that is what matters, want to make sure it is using some tidy stuff and there is enough oil in there.

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea, you wanna make sure its got good stuff in

have you ordered it yet ?

if i was you i would give the car a good thrashing before doing the change, it gets it all hot and makes sure most of it comes out

also at the RR day all the thrashed cars seemed to be giving a lot more power out than the others

Not yet no, going to order it when I get home, forgot my card to pay for it. Do they give discount for Cliosport ? ha ha !

I am going to change it on the weekend, my dad is going to help me. I run my car in for 650 miles and have thrashed it since, there were some cars that did the same and still came out with more power so I dont think it makes much difference.

Skoda Fabia vRS

no discount, though im sure if a few of you guys start to order it i might be able to sort somethin out, im pretty good at stuff like that

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Daipac

Yeh, I am using a Renault oil filter, putting it up on some hydrolic ramps at the weekend to do it, good luck doing yours. My dad is also going to assist (do it for me hopefully). He is a trained Mechanic I am a useless pillock (apparently) when it comes to cars, though my knowledge has increased no end being on this forum every day.

I was also nice to my car for the first 625miles and have been thrashing it ever since, considering the cars I am managing to beat/keep up with, I dont think my car is far off the 172bhp. :D

I am going to get an oil filter from Renault, they should have them in stock shouldnt they ?

I have not got any ramps, should still be able to do the change without any problems shouldnt I ?

Skoda Fabia vRS

hehe cheers Man Chun, what that guy is talkin about with the Motul, the Silkolene has a high ester content also, so its not going to lose its grade or pressure

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Daipac

I have assisted with a number of oil changes without ramps, it just makes life easier with them, plus less blood from scrapes etc. If you have the right tools, and some luck it should be a smooth change if not just stay patient and use a lot of force.:D

greeper, should not be a problem I should imagine, my dad will be doing most of the work so he will be the one spilling blood ! He has done it on loads of other cars before so there should not be too many problems (I hope).

Hi Dai,

So hows Holy? getting on then? Im also changing my oil this weekend. Im going to a fully synth 5w40. Halfords sell own brand at this rating and also the 5w30 (Which by the way is primarily for Ztec engines because they need the oil to stay thicker at high temps)

Any Chance you can send over CBs instructions with Pics? Id be very interested in seeing how you get your hand on the filter, its hard to see it let alone touch it!!

Cheers

oooo Brun what do you think of RS Castrol 10w60?. I know nothing about this oil. If Silkoene is better I might go for that on my next oil change :).

Cheers,

Chun.

Skoda Fabia vRS

firstly dont change your oil on ramps !!!........your car has to be flat so it can drain properly

secondly, a 5W30 will be thinner at high temps than a 5W40

lastly, i dont think Castrol make the RS 10W-60 anymore for the consumer market, though i think its available through BMW dealers, i was going to try it myself as i like the idea of a 60 as my car has done a lot of mileage, i wouldnt be stickin a 60 in a 172 for AGES yet

Brun its for my new Astra Coupe Turbo. A guy from Demon Tweeks recomended this oil for the car. Someone has to explain the 60 part of the rating to me . The demon tweeks guy seemed to know his stuff and said he thought this was the best oil for the car.

Cheers,

Chun.

Skoda Fabia vRS

it might be yea, but i very much doubt you can get hold of it, ive tried to aswell and i havent seen it, the Castrol UK website is also down at the moment

if i was you, id use Silkolene Pro S 10W-50, if you email Silkolene then they will suggest what is best, and i would put my money on that

im not really a lover of Castrol after trying the Magnatec

BRUN I have 6 litres :D. Theres about 5 of that sitting in my Astra Coupe :D. Demon Tweeks still sell it. Ill change to Silkolene next if you recommend them so much ;).

Cheers,

Chun.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well i bet there on there last stock mate or there gettin it as a special deal or summat, cos i aint seen any around for ages mate

BRUN, I ordered the Pro S 5w40 from APP yesterday, should have it 2moro to change on the weekend, will let you know what I think of it and if I notice any difference in the noise, etc.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

BRUN

The rams I am using are hydrolic and are designed so that when the car is raised 6ft in the air it will be perfectly flat so shouldnt have any problems, hopefully.

350z & 16v Maxi

I used Mobil 1 0w40 all the time on my valver, in my opinion it is one of the best oils on the market. However i feel it is a bit thin for my 16v and might change it next time. What i want is ELF oil as that is what the older renault engines were designed to run on but i cant find it anywhere. If anyone knows of a source for it then please let me know. If i cant find that i will probably go for the Silkolene next time or at least a 5w40.

350z & 16v Maxi

Meant to say, when I first started using Mobil I definitely noticed a big difference in the ease at which the engine drove.

Brun might be the last of it :), but its doesnt realy matter now that I will most likely get Silkoene next :). Not that I would notice the difference, how much is Silkoene 10w50 ?.

Cheers,

Chun.

Skoda Fabia vRS

its about £35 for 5L

and Colin, i have Total fully synthetic 10W-50, which will be the same as Elf stuff as its the same company

i have 7L of it if your interested