ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first bit of proper motoring journalism...

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
That's a cracking first piece. While I can't claim to write works of art for the paper I write for (sober writing for sober middle-aged folks), I'd only advise that you consider your structure a little more. Don't get me wrong, you followed it through logically and it's nice and easy to follow :) but your conclusion kind of came out of nowhere. All you mention in the article is that the Aston is faster, so if you hold that as the Maser's main rival it's good to keep referring back to it and comparing the two. If you're gonna have a verdict, make sure you give a good explanation why.

But I hope you're proud of yourself - I was when I got my first piece published (even if it was on a Dodge Caliber...lol)

Nice one, keep it up.

'02 MG TF160
Cheers for the comments all, it means a lot that people like it!

I got into it through my membership to http://www.ecurie25.co.uk

I've been a member for a couple of years, and whenever i took a car out i stuck a little 500 word post up on the Pistonheads forum about it.

I got a fair bit of praise for them, and then out of the blue the PH editor emailed me asking if I fancied doing a proper 1000 word road test when i next took out a car.

I booked the Maser, and the rest you can see!

I'm doing the Bentley Conti GT Convertible report in January, then the Aston DBS in February....

I'm looking forward to the summer though, as i've booked the Ferrari 430 Scuderia to go to Le Mans in....:cool:

'02 MG TF160
Yep that's right - basically £10k per year.

Some people get the idea, some don't.

Hey Christopher, i'm up in Lymm at the mo visiting the folks for xmas, i'll keep an eye out for the FPM, i'm in my girlfriends poxy 1.2 Dynamique - where's all the power gone?!?!?!?!

'02 MG TF160
I thought it was a good read, but a bit on the long side.

Cheers, to be honest i originally had it at about 700 words, but they requested between 1000 and 1200, so i padded it out a bit.

I guess its a skill of a journalist to keep the reader interested so that they don't realise its so long. All stuff i need to learn....

Good first effort, but a few comments (all just my opinion).
-One spelling mistake (conjours - conjures). If you didn't pick this up, then PH should have done.
-Are you American or English? You use 'maneuvering' and 'centerpiece', both of which are the American spellings.
-In the article you admit the Maserati and Aston V8 are in different classes, but you persist with the comparisons. The V8 Vantage is not pitched as a Grand Tourer which is precisely what the Maserati is. If you were to drive from here to the South of France, the Maserati would without any hesitation be my choice. It is fantastically comfortable, easy to drive and relaxing over those sorts of distances. The V8 Vantage is not aiming to be a GT, but is aiming to be a sports car. A comparison between the V8 Vantage and the R8 would be more appropriate.
-As someone else has pointed out, the article does seem to have been overly padded. You have commented that PH require 1000-1200 words. I think you could have used the extra words to cover items such as the interior. In the article you go no further than saying the seats are 'well sculpted'. There is no mention as to how comfy they are to be sat in, how supportive they are etc. Also, the stereo does not seem to get too much of a mention. The built in 3GB of storage and the option to rip CDs automatically onto this are genuinely useful features (standard fit I believe), but don't warrant a mention. Covering a few more subjects in the article would have been a better use of your word allocation and would have given less of the impression that the article has been padded to fill a word allocation.

I think it's a good first effort, and I look forward to reading further articles to see how your style develops, and what your opinion is on some of the cars you will be driving in the future.