ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first Clio - Possible issues so far HELP!??!!?!?

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to these forums so I've got no idea if this is the right place to ask questions about a non Clio Sport model.

2 days ago I brought my first clio

1.2 2002 Dynamique

The car had been owned by a mechanic and looked in mint condition, so after a test drive, a good luck around I handed over my £1300 and brought it.

My first few issues that i have noticed will be listed below and I was hoping for some fellow clio owners advice.

Firstly

The really annoying ticking coming from under the passenger footwell. I've done a little research about this and now understand that its the relay but what I cant find out if this is a Clio quirk or something about to go boom in true French fashion.

It only makes this ticking when I have my wipers on the slowest setting and when I wind up or down my drivers side window.

Secondly

When my wipers are on setting 1 occasionally they decided to think they are on the next setting for 30 seconds or so then go slow again.

Then last! The one that is bugging the S*** out of me is the fuel gauge.

I put £40 in her yesterday and since I've done 30 miles yet the fuel gauge has gone down nearly two notches :O REALLY?!?! Ok, I get the whole extra weight thing and it was a bad idea putting that much in her when I commute with 3 of us in the car but surely it shouldn't be that bad??

Does it have a mind of its own and move up and down? and should i pay more attention to my LCD screen that says how many miles left ect?

Advice would be greatly welcomed

Cheers all!

David

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Relay click is normal, not sure if it will have auto wipers.. My old 172 used to have a fit when there was a small amount of rain...

Fuel im not sure.. I think its just how you park/when the fuel settles tbh.. Mine does it alot

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to these forums so I've got no idea if this is the right place to ask questions about a non Clio Sport model.

2 days ago I brought my first clio

1.2 2002 Dynamique

The car had been owned by a mechanic and looked in mint condition, so after a test drive, a good luck around I handed over my £1300 and brought it.

My first few issues that i have noticed will be listed below and I was hoping for some fellow clio owners advice.

Firstly

The really annoying ticking coming from under the passenger footwell. I've done a little research about this and now understand that its the relay but what I cant find out if this is a Clio quirk or something about to go boom in true French fashion.

It only makes this ticking when I have my wipers on the slowest setting and when I wind up or down my drivers side window.

Secondly

When my wipers are on setting 1 occasionally they decided to think they are on the next setting for 30 seconds or so then go slow again.

Then last! The one that is bugging the S*** out of me is the fuel gauge.

I put £40 in her yesterday and since I've done 30 miles yet the fuel gauge has gone down nearly two notches :O REALLY?!?! Ok, I get the whole extra weight thing and it was a bad idea putting that much in her when I commute with 3 of us in the car but surely it shouldn't be that bad??

Does it have a mind of its own and move up and down? and should i pay more attention to my LCD screen that says how many miles left ect?

Advice would be greatly welcomed

Cheers all!

David

The relays do click when things are working its the power going through and them changing over !

It sounds like you have automatic wipers (check the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror to see a little sensor in the screen !! )

And the fuel depends on how you drive how many miles you doing to how much fuel ?

172 Cup
The french fuel gauges are funny things, I could do a run back and forth to work, use some fuel and then only to wake up the next morning and it would have risen over night. The fuel light is a random one too, the needle will sit on red for days only to have the fuel light come on maybe a day or so after. Weird things!

1.2 clio
As above mate relay is normal they all click. Fuel gauge they all seem to say they have less then what really is in the tank. Just kind of live with it. Keep flicking though the trip computer see what mpg your doing ect.

Clio
The fuel gauge does have a mind of its own, I was on the red line yesterday with no fuel light, so put it £5 to keep me going did about a mile then the fuel light came on!?!

Cheers for the advice guys, I kind think the the fuel gauge does have a mind of its own.

Today I've done about 25 miles and its not moved an inch.

I cant image having automatic wipers in such an old model :/ i thought that was more more newer cars ect?

1.2 clio
I think the auto wipers have like a see though pad on the windscreen centre bottom I believe. Don't hold me to that though.

My 2003 1.2 Dynamique had Auto wipers.

Put your wipers to the first setting, then pour some water over your windscreen and see if they come on automatically ;)

The sensor is behind your rear view mirror.

If it's got auto wipers then it will have auto lights aswell but you might need to turn them on. (Ignition on, lights on and off twice I think then you'll hear a beep)

My 2003 1.2 Dynamique had Auto wipers.

Put your wipers to the first setting, then pour some water over your windscreen and see if they come on automatically ;)

The sensor is behind your rear view mirror.

If it's got auto wipers then it will have auto lights aswell but you might need to turn them on. (Ignition on, lights on and off twice I think then you'll hear a beep)

Tried this out this morning with a big jug of water and nothing happened.

Also tried the double on off thing for the lights and nothing happened then either.

Im guessing i dont have this feature.