ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first French car-172 cup

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
Hello,

Just became a paid up member last week as I knew I was definitely getting a clio

I picked this up Sunday evening from a chap near the Welsh/Midland border.

I got it for a fairly reasonable price after a near 400 mile round trip.

First impression was turn in was insane compared to my Mk4 GT TDi-not saying a lot and at 5k it gets all excited.
It is crap on the motorway apart from fuel consumption, loud, bumpy-I have been spoilt with the golf with comfort and erm...build quality haha

BUT

It put the biggest grin on my face for ages and that was enough for me to be sold. I actually want to drive to my parent in it just to go along my favourite country road. it's a bit lively and twitchy but I am sure I will get used to this

It is totally standard, had the belts in 2010 and gearbox and clutch last summer
The steering wheel has been leather trimmed and apart from the fact it's huge it is a really nice wheel.

I plan to do a few bits to it soon:

Top mounts as the drivers makes the odd noise in certain scenarios
Braided lines
De-cloud the headlights
Full service with good filters and oil
Dogbone mount

Then over time

K tec exhaust-stealth
182 manifold
De-cat
port matched inlets
a filter
re-map
Some new springs, maybe cooksport that seem to be a name I have seen on here
New standard cup shocks
Better engine mounts
Whiteline arb and poly bushes
Decent disks and pads

And enjoy some track days

It won't be a quick project as money is tight and I also have a project car.
This is just a fun daily as I'm going to catch the train so don't need a golf diesel anymore and my girlfriend is selling her car as she can't justify the cost.

There are some really nice touches on some of the project cars in this forum so I may be influenced by them.

Anyway heres a picture to start, same as every other cup to be honest not that that's a tragedy, I'll get some more later.

554498_444687455650092_322560063_n_zpsfafdaf4d.jpg

Scotty

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
I had my first proper look underneath it yesterday morning.
Sump has an oil leak, rocker cover is leaking as the manifold has a bit of oil on it and all the arb bushes are nackered which may explain how the car steers a little bit everywhere when going straight.

It is going in next Saturday for

Sump gasket,
Rocker cover leak
Spark plugs
2 x standard top mounts
Powerflex arb bushes
upper gearbox mount
Tie rod ends and one ball joint then get it tracked up as the steering wheel isn't quite straight
oil change with renault 5w40 oil

Then I will do braided lines a front shocks next month.

That should certainly get the steering a bit better and hopefully allow me to be more confident with it.

I noticed it has Eibach rear springs too. I wonder if they are on the front and may be part of the reason why the car is a bit bouncy, it doesn't feel overly planted.

Pics to follow next week.

Scotty

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
Sump gasket and Powerflex bushes and top gearbox mount have arrived.
Just ordered dog bone Powerflex and ARPs and looks like I'm getting a ktec stealth system Friday.

Things are moving gradually :)

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
Things have been a bit slow of late, but a few updates now as I get ready for the trackday.....

Tonight I did the oil change with Renault oil the elf stuff and new spark plugs.

A fortnite ago it received new Renault rear discs, pads and bearings

Last weekend, the dogbone mount, engine mount(powerflex and vibratec) outer arb bushes that go at the end and the upper gearbox mount (shakes a bit but makes it feel more fun)

This Saturday top mounts to fit and tomorrow I am ordering from G172:

HC discs, Feredo DS2500 pads, braided lines and good fluid

The sump leak is minor and makes very little if any difference to the oil level and the rocker cover leak was the vvt actuator, new seal has been fitted.

The only 2 issues are intermittent starting which I believe is loose wire to the starter solenoid as sometimes it starts on the button.

Also the previous genious to change the gearbox cross threaded the top bolt that holds the large aluminium gearbox mount(battery tray) to the inner wing N/s and this snapped on removal the other night. I cannot drill it out so hope the 3 bolts are enough until I get someone more compentant with more tools to get this bolt out

Pictures to follow at the weekend

Scotty

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
Bit of an update so far on this

The brakes are all on and fitted courtesy of my friend at his garage. They came next day from George......he will definitely be getting all my future orders without doubt and friends too.

I will be doing a coolant flush, gearbox oil change and the seal in the rocker cover on Thursday if my mate cannot complete them by Wednesday evening as i am driving it to work Thursday as a test run to check it over and bed the brakes in.

The centre anti roll bar bushes should be complete Weds, new top mounts in so that I can get the tracking sorted at last.

Yokohama S drives are on order from Demon Tweaks for Wednesday fitment and I am hoping my mate can get the de cat fitted but it's not the end of the world if not.

There is no change on the starting issue as I haven't been bothered to trace the wire, I will sort that at christmas to be honest.

I'll do the sump gasket and Arps over the christmas break too I expect if I'm not restoring my other car and then it's going up for sale as I really need it to help towards a flat......however if it doesn't sell for fair money then I'll just have to keep it as to be honest. Any car I get will have faults and at least this one should have had a few of the obvious things that wear on cars replaced - justification to my girlfriend at least as it is mot'd and insured until August and has just been serviced with all new brakes and 4 new tyres.......

I'll probably remove the rear seats for Friday and strip as much rubbish as I can out of the car as well as trying to be a bit strict with the food this week.

Pictures to follow on Wednesday evening and the track day too

Scotty

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
The car behaved itself and was an awesome laugh.

Hopefully will manage a few upgrades after xmas before another track day.

i'll add a few more photos when I find them....

DSC_0109_zps9a2d1eec.jpg

The clio and my mates Golf 8v

me1_zpseae7b70b.jpg

2016 Audi RS3
Two great cars there - my first car was a 1991 8v in Oak Green metallic and I followed that with a 172 Cup.

Good luck with the ARB bushes that can be a fun job ;)

The car behaved itself and was an awesome laugh.

Hopefully will manage a few upgrades after xmas before another track day.

i'll add a few more photos when I find them....

DSC_0109_zps9a2d1eec.jpg

The clio and my mates Golf 8v

me1_zpseae7b70b.jpg

Looks good Scotty

Will have to arrange a proper south meet soon with us lot that are around the sussex/kent area. None of these north of the thames 'south' meets ;)

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
R516vt........I did the outers but the inners pissed me off soo much I wanted to torch the car..... I couldn't get the brackets back on so drove it to my mates garage and got him to bail me out

Looks good Scotty

Will have to arrange a proper south meet soon with us lot that are around the sussex/kent area. None of these north of the thames 'south' meets ;)

Cheers matey,

This seems like a pretty mature community much like 1 or 2 other forums I am on. Maybe we could have a look at setting up something early 2014 and get a few people along to the next track day that Brands will have too??

I'm trying to stop myself buying PMS top mounts, strut brace and new shocks on whats left of my last credit card :mad:.

I need a new driver's seat too. The standard one is rubbish for mid distance journeys and I had to slouch with my helmet on.....There's a Recaro bucket seat on ebay that looks mighty tempting but is in Greece which makes me a touch wary of its legitimacy.

That and my exhaust booming and vibrating badly will give me a few things to keep me busy (I hope to get a second hand Ktec when funds allow)

172 rag
scotty86d Yes Greeks we are famous for being scumbags :S and crooks
If you want put the ebay link and I can have a look but keep in mind I am Greek.

Last edited: