ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My GF's 172 is slow as f**k :(

VaVa
I disagree. I know that VTS's aren't far behind 172's. And there would certainly be no 'toasting' going on.

Ph2 172's are about 156 bhp/tonne (that's if they chuck out full power - which very few do!).... A lot of VTS's chuck out 130 odd bhp standard which make them about 140 bhp/tonne.... so a difference of 16 bhp/ton - Added to the peppy gearing in the Saxo... never going to be much in it.

2014 Focus Titanium
Can we just get one thing straight! My GF was not driving the car I nicked it and she doesn't even know this went on!

Tbh, I've had a play with other 172s in my VTS and they have certainly pulled a few cars lengths, but hers just won't it will pull 1 car length maximum from 30-100.

My saxo has 130bhp/tonne, and ph2 172s are meant to be around the 160bhp/tonne, so there's something wrong somewhere!

I think I might have to purchase an ITG filter and change the oil and fuel filter and just hope for the best tbh. Oh well!

BMW Z4 3.0i
As it's due a service why don't you just get it serviced? They'll change all that stuff as part of it.

Street Triple R
Cant believe there is such a discussion about this, there is virtually nothing in it between the 172/VTS/GTI, the 172 would certainly not toast the vts/gti , no way, maybe slightly slightly better once you got up to higher speeds but there is such little difference in them.

The only area the 172 wins hands down is torque, but on a straight thrash, there would be nothing in it.

Ive owned a cup, a mk1 172, a standard VTS and a lightly modded VTS, if anything the modded VTS was the quickest out of the lot

I think because the saxo has such a bad image, people dont actually give it credit for how good it actually is performance/handling wise (everything else, build quiality/safety etc is not good lol)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
what are the standard figures for a 106 gti/saxo vts?

i've heard of people wanting a cheaper run about and going from a 172/182 to a gti/vts and enjoying it more.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Re: My GF's 172 is slow as f**k :(

VVT kicks in at summat crazy low like 1.4k Rpm. It's not VTEC ffs.

Also the kick at 4.5-5k is something to do with the power curve of the engine, between max torque and max bhp the car pulls its best.

Was gonna say the same thing.. its just the car coming 'on cam'. But you should deffinatly feel the change in the engine when it does come on cam.

google image

let the other driver drive the vts and you the 172? then get your own opinion

BMW Z4 3.0i
Please read this thread properly from start to finish before making suggestions! thank you! :)

Black Gold with cup packs
Ok how about 182/172/gti/VTS i didnt think there was much difference between the 172/182 either?

2014 Focus Titanium
Standard figures for a VTS 0-100 are 20.5secs, and for a 172 its about 18.5 iirc, so there should be some visible difference between the two, but there was literally nothing which struck me as very odd! I've had a play with a standard 182 and you could certainly see it was pulling on me in every gear.

Right I'm gonna get some fully synth decent oil, get it booked in for a service and see what goes, hopefully this will cure it. If not I won't be a happy chappy!

Cheers people really appreciate the help.

Elise/VX220/R26

Cant believe there is such a discussion about this, there is virtually nothing in it between the 172/VTS/GTI, the 172 would certainly not toast the vts/gti , no way, maybe slightly slightly better once you got up to higher speeds but there is such little difference in them.

The only area the 172 wins hands down is torque, but on a straight thrash, there would be nothing in it.

Ive owned a cup, a mk1 172, a standard VTS and a lightly modded VTS, if anything the modded VTS was the quickest out of the lot

I think because the saxo has such a bad image, people dont actually give it credit for how good it actually is performance/handling wise (everything else, build quiality/safety etc is not good lol)

hes right. I had a few do's with VTSs when I had a 172, theres very little in it they are basically very similar performance cars. The VTS saxo I have at the moment feels about the same as my 172 all be it with a bit less poke on the motorway but thats down to the gearing. A 172 is never gonna go VTS slaying

VaVa

Can we just get one thing straight! My GF was not driving the car I nicked it and she doesn't even know this went on!

Tbh, I've had a play with other 172s in my VTS and they have certainly pulled a few cars lengths, but hers just won't it will pull 1 car length maximum from 30-100.

My saxo has 130bhp/tonne, and ph2 172s are meant to be around the 160bhp/tonne, so there's something wrong somewhere!

I think I might have to purchase an ITG filter and change the oil and fuel filter and just hope for the best tbh. Oh well!

Dude. Listen to me. If you want get all anal about what a car should be putting out, the Ph2 Clio 172 weighs ~ 1110kg and is 172 PS. 172 PS is approx 170 BHP.

This gives it a pwr/weight ration of 156.6 BHP/Tonne. And that is if the 172 is kicking out full power, which to be honest, they very rarely do.

I personally think you're worrying about nothing.

as Andy (makavelli) said speak to Fred or Andrew at Yozzasport - Andrew showed me some pics of a 172 engine they had been working on and as Andy said it was in a right state and only giving out approx 130-140bhp - by the time they finished it was perfect and back up to good power.

RB182cup&golf gti

Standard figures for a VTS 0-100 are 20.5secs, and for a 172 its about 18.5 iirc, so there should be some visible difference between the two, but there was literally nothing which struck me as very odd! I've had a play with a standard 182 and you could certainly see it was pulling on me in every gear.

those times are pretty close so sounds about right to me. if the clio was fooked then it wouldnt be ahead at all. a good service should sort it out (i've owned both and below 100 there'll be little in it)

2014 Focus Titanium

Dude. Listen to me. If you want get all anal about what a car should be putting out, the Ph2 Clio 172 weighs ~ 1110kg and is 172 PS. 172 PS is approx 170 BHP.

This gives it a pwr/weight ration of 156.6 BHP/Tonne. And that is if the 172 is kicking out full power, which to be honest, they very rarely do.

I personally think you're worrying about nothing.

sorry bud i was under the impression the clio was 1030kg which would give a bhp/tonne of about 163. Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but this is what I'm like, if i buy something i expect it to do what it says on the tin :D

2014 Focus Titanium

as Andy (makavelli) said speak to Fred or Andrew at Yozzasport - Andrew showed me some pics of a 172 engine they had been working on and as Andy said it was in a right state and only giving out approx 130-140bhp - by the time they finished it was perfect and back up to good power.

that's quite encouraging, so it means that 170 is reachable, just needs effort to get it there! So what do you mean by "working on"? The engine bay is pretty clean so its been taken care of by the looks, and it has 44k on so I wouldn't have thought many bits need replacing?

Saxo Vts

I have a Vts and i'm considering selling up for a 182 with both cup packs, reading this thread has made me wonder about the difference in speed, is it really so negligible??

VaVa
All things being equal (all cars putting out claimed power etc) the 182 will be a bit quicker at higher speeds. But it really isn't much.

Where the major differences are is specification, build (yes there are things worse than Clios and Saxos are definitely one of them!!) and safety.

Performance wise, there's a gap, but it's not as big as you might think!

All things being equal (all cars putting out claimed power etc) the 182 will be a bit quicker at higher speeds. But it really isn't much.

Where the major differences are is specification, build (yes there are things worse than Clios and Saxos are definitely one of them!!) and safety.

Performance wise, there's a gap, but it's not as big as you might think!

Spot on.

People on this forum seem to refuse to want to believe that a VTS/GTi could keep up with a 1*2.

Theres f**k all difference upto 115ish. Tested several times, vs diff cars but no faster as I ran out of road. GTi has run out of puff by then tho and thats when the gap will appear.

But like Laingo says, its not all about speed, the Sports are better cars and faster, just not by loads like you all seem to think.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i will agree with all this too.

out on the real roads there is no real major difference between these cars tbh.

this is the problem, people get so hung up about a 0.1 here or a 0.2 there, but relasitically it makes no difference if matey boy puts his foot down half a second before you for example.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

I'm not sure about this VVT business..I've have my car over 5k plenty of times and never noticed it.

I didn't think they had VVT

the vvt is just a solenoid its nothing to do with the 5k kick the f4r runs quite a lairy cam profile out of the factory and 5k+ is where the cam is most eficient,has the car always been owned by a woman,if the car has been tootled since new it will be slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsclio172

that's quite encouraging, so it means that 170 is reachable, just needs effort to get it there! So what do you mean by "working on"? The engine bay is pretty clean so its been taken care of by the looks, and it has 44k on so I wouldn't have thought many bits need replacing?
the problem they showed me had been there since the car was built! a few of the valves were stuck or something - cant quite remember sorry

dk

911 GTS Cab

I get a noticable kick at about 5.5-6k revs

Sounds like mine's fooked as well

Oh well...nevermind
is your 172 one of the ones with ESP or an earlier one without.

the reason i ask is that when esp is one it holds back the engine at lower speeds to make sure the take off doesn't ahve any wheel spin and thus when you hit 5k (this kick is the cams coming on, not VVT as that starts form something like 2k revs) the cams come on and you get a kick and it accelerates even faster.

When I have the esp off in my 182 I can barely notice the cams come on and there is hardly any kick at 5k as the power is fully available from the off and its a more linear progression of the engine rather than being held back slightly by esp and then going all out.

Hope that makes sense, and if you have the 172 without esp it could explain why you don't feel it as much.

thats the only thing i can think of anyway.

dk

911 GTS Cab
and I have owned a 106Gti and a 182 and the 182 will easily do a gti or vts, sorry but it will, i had a go with a mk1 172 when i had the 106 and it was easily faster at all speeds, the 106 will feel faster than it is because its more raw.

The book time on the 106gti was something ridiculous like 8.3 seconds to 60 but we all know it was quicker than that but it wasn't 6.3 seconds quick like the 182.

Fast cars yes but not in the same league as a 182, i've done many of them in the 182, never had an ounce of trouble, guess none of them were modded, but then that would be cheating against a standard 182 anyway.

2014 Focus Titanium

and I have owned a 106Gti and a 182 and the 182 will easily do a gti or vts, sorry but it will, i had a go with a mk1 172 when i had the 106 and it was easily faster at all speeds, the 106 will feel faster than it is because its more raw.

The book time on the 106gti was something ridiculous like 8.3 seconds to 60 but we all know it was quicker than that but it wasn't 6.3 seconds quick like the 182.

Fast cars yes but not in the same league as a 182, i've done many of them in the 182, never had an ounce of trouble, guess none of them were modded, but then that would be cheating against a standard 182 anyway.

i agree with this completely. I've had a play with 2 182s in my VTS and the difference was very visible.

Like has been said though, on twisty b-roads there would be nowt in it :D

timsclio172 - how did they find out about the sticking valves? did it cost much to fix? i've heard about this before so i think this might be the problem, do you think my local garage could sort it? they're very good mechanics but I don't know if its a renault jobbie!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i agree with this completely. I've had a play with 2 182s in my VTS and the difference was very visible.

Like has been said though, on twisty b-roads there would be nowt in it :D

timsclio172 - how did they find out about the sticking valves? did it cost much to fix? i've heard about this before so i think this might be the problem, do you think my local garage could sort it? they're very good mechanics but I don't know if its a renault jobbie!

if its the same car i'm thinking of it was a broken cam follower

2014 Focus Titanium
b****cks that sounds expensive. :( i have a bit of mechanical knowledge, is it possible to take off the head and have a look myself?