ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My HID story (read/final)

Just lol at saying we only fit HIDs to "want people to think you're rich because you have white headlights"

No, I bought HIDs because I want a better light to see where I am going. Had nobody flash me and have drove behind people and they have said it does not dazzle them so I'm not "blinded by my own selfish desire to have them", I just prefer them to standard headlights as it is mostly dark country roads I have to drive down.

Manufacturers sometimes sell cars with projector style lenses without having the HID Xenon bulbs, meaning you don't need washers/auto-leveling stuff. Perhaps, evo's were sold with that setup...

Old shape lower spec Passats were sold like that - from memory.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Manufacturers sometimes sell cars with projector style lenses without having the HID Xenon bulbs, meaning you don't need washers/auto-leveling stuff. Perhaps, evo's were sold with that setup...

Old shape lower spec Passats were sold like that - from memory.

As were Ph1 172's and RSi's.

HID's without projectors won't improve your vision at night though.

Well...they did. Can see much further ahead that what I could with normal Halogens.

Although for all the haters out there, I do have proper projector style headlamps ordered and they are finding their way through the Royal Fail network

Didn't know I had given you a ride in my car before and after I fitted my HIDs for you to determine whether or not they were better or worse than before ^^

The leveling and headlamp washer thing is a legal requirement if they are fitted to a vehicle at build IIRC there's no law in force that requires a check of either being there to pass an MOT or be road legal although they should check you headlamp aim and beam pattern/cast. It's a bit like the old decat issue, nowhere does it state on an MOT that you have to physically have one fitted. They had to be fitted at the factory on all cars after 1992 but so long as you pass your emissions come MOT time you don't have to have a cat fitted.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The accord type R had hid bulbs but without projector lens?

Covered earlier fella. Reflectors can work with hids, if specifically designed for that purpose. Projectors work in a completely different way, and will control the beam to the same degree regardless of the intensity of bulb.

I think with things like the evo they are dealer fit, so don't require washers etc to be legal.

The leveling and headlamp washer thing is a legal requirement if they are fitted to a vehicle at build IIRC there's no law in force that requires a check of either being there to pass an MOT or be road legal although they should check you headlamp aim and beam pattern/cast. It's a bit like the old decat issue, nowhere does it state on an MOT that you have to physically have one fitted. They had to be fitted at the factory on all cars after 1992 but so long as you pass your emissions come MOT time you don't have to have a cat fitted.

How likely is it that your car would pass an emissions test without a Cat though?
I've got a decat, and after about 6 months of having it on, the engine light has never come on - which it probably should have? So it got me thinking there's a slim chance it Might be okay...

Pretty unlikely tbh. The newer the car the less likely due to the Euro emissions standard that relates to its year of manufacture. Older cars the emissions test is less limited to newer cars so some can squeak through without the cat on.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
lol, as i said in my previous post, all the time in the M!
I dont know why bi-xenons are brighter? But they're far brighter than the tt's xenons, rarely got flashed with those.

You need them adjusting then. M3 lights point down as standard. Someone has either wound off the fine adjuster or moved the wishbone sensor.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
HID's without projectors won't improve your vision at night though.

are you on smack?? stock s14 lights even with higher wattage bulbs were terrible, fitted hid's and it was a 100% improvement!

same with rx7, stock poppups, you would be honestly better off using a clipper lighter as a light source... stick hids in and you can see! both cars are reflector type lights.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
on my 14 and my rx7 it didnt and doesnt go everywhere... had the correct beam pattern... allows me to see further and better... 100% better than stock, weather its illegal or whatever its a massive improvement on stock, and tbh living in the middle of nowhere i would honestly rather see a s**t load better so i can avoid animals etc than not see better lol.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It doesn't have the correct beam pattern. Unless they were designed as hid reflectors (in which case thy wouldn't of had halogens fitted) it's impossible.

Golf GT TDI
2001-2005 lagunas dont have projectors & have xenons but with the face lift they changed to projector but as said earlier, xenons without projectors look pikey and imo dont work as well

almost all manufactures use projectors when a xenon option is available

a decent set of philips bulbs would be a better bet

clio 182 + cup packs
Hids are pointless in the wrong headlights just create a danger to other road users with the crap beam pattern

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
How likely is it that your car would pass an emissions test without a Cat though?
I've got a decat, and after about 6 months of having it on, the engine light has never come on - which it probably should have? So it got me thinking there's a slim chance it Might be okay...

Too the cat outa of my 172 as a test and it passed with de-cat.

One thing:

HID + Land Rover = F*** off

Im fitting some in our disco this weekend, lets see how many people get pissy...

Turbos.
Entertaining thread.

HID kits are for poor people (Cup owners). You don't look cool, you just make it glaringly (geddit!) obvious that i am richer than you. I am a car geek, and know well enough what cars have xenons and what ones are fakers. I shake my head, despairingly, despite knowing at 17 i would probably have done exactly the same thing.

Having said all this, my Smart has completely standard projector lights (i think like the previous model Punto) and i get flashed up from time to time. Once someone even brake tested me because they thought i was flashing them up!

Megane 225 Cup
Well fitted mine today

In my opinion they are to bright due to not having a cap built into the headlight as per on previous cars

So they will be sold on and some decent Bulbs bought!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Had them in mine for almost 2 years, never been flashed, never been pulled.

Although, I will also add that yes the light scatter is horrible, the DO blind on coming traffic, and a down right dangererous if there is any water on the road. I got them because I thought they look good. 2 years later with abit more maturity I know realise they don't. The fact they are still in there is down to my laziness and lack of replacement bulbs.

With regards to the M.O.T, mine has been through 2. The first it would have failed were I not good friends with the tester/garage, the second, which was done at a different garage that I know nobody who works their, passed no problem. It's just down to luck lads.

They are illegal in anything other than projector lenses with washes and auto levelling.

H*R bulbs, which are HID bulbs designed for reflector headlights, ARE road legal and you will pass and M.O.T with them. There are the bulbs that you see in Lagunas, Honda Civics etc...

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
There are an tonne of t***s in my local town driving round with these fitted to their cars. I would personally love to take a sledge hammer to their headlights as they blind other drivers on the road.

And they look utterly shite with the whole beam pattern all over the place.

BMW
There are an tonne of tw*ts in my local town driving round with these fitted to their cars. I would personally love to take a sledge hammer to their headlights as they blind other drivers on the road.

And they look utterly s**te with the whole beam pattern all over the place.

Calm down paddy.