ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My MK1 Clio Sport Conversion

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Thought I'd start my own thread regarding my converstion.

It all started about a year ago. I bought the car with a knackered gearbox and desided to rip it out and fit a Phase 1 172 Sport engine.

The guy that started the project for me (I'm not a mechnic but have some knowledge of engine's and how they work) did most of it and seems to have lost interest. So now me and a mate are having a go ourselves!!

The engine is in and all belts, hoses and shafts connected up. Its the wiring that is causing us the headf**k!! We have the yellow 3mm wire and white 3mm wire connect up (172 loom)which is allowing us to get the starter turning, but I am struggling to get the fuel pump running. I have found the feed on the 16v loom but cant find it on the 172 loom!! We managed to get the engine started the other nite by just connecting the fuel pump feed from the 16v loom to a random live!! But we need get it wired into the 172 relay I take it???

Also i am not getting any dash lights when I turn the key to the second click, but the engine still turns over when the key is turned all they way to the starter!?!?!?

I hope that you guys that have or are doing the conversion can shed some light on my issues.

Heres some pictures. Were working on the car at my mates work which is at a quarry, thats why the cars so dusty.

Cheers.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Hi bud

the fuel pump relay is the same relay that runs the coilpack

on the engine loom find the relay that has 2 white wires coming out of the same pin, one of those wires will go to the coilpack (use a multimeter to find which one) and the other goes to the fuel pump. wire that up and you should have a fully priming/working fuel pump :D

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Just thinking. What i'll do is get a picture of the wires we have connected at the moment to let you guys see whats done and what needs to be done.

Cheers.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Hi bud

the fuel pump relay is the same relay that runs the coilpack

on the engine loom find the relay that has 2 white wires coming out of the same pin, one of those wires will go to the coilpack (use a multimeter to find which one) and the other goes to the fuel pump. wire that up and you should have a fully priming/working fuel pump :D

Cheers for that mate. I'll not be going back to work on the car until tuesday so will have a go then. I'll take a few closeup photos of the wiring to get you comments.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Geesus69 do you have any ideas why i'm not getting dash lights when the key is turned to the 2nd click? It was working earlier in the year? I've checked all the fuses.

have you messed with the original interior loom at all?

all i can think it would be is a missing ign live?

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
have you messed with the original interior loom at all?

all i can think it would be is a missing ign live?

Thanks I'll have a look on tuesday. As I said i'll take some photos of the wiring, you might see somthing wrong from them.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh, nice one.... and another blue one! :D

I've got a few pointers I can give, will post up later tonight when i've got a moment :)

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
oh, nice one.... and another blue one! :D

I've got a few pointers I can give, will post up later tonight when i've got a moment :)

That would be top quality if you could give me a few pointers mate, we're starting to struggle as me or my mate are not mechanic's

Once we've got it all done correctly, everthings gona get ripped back out then the shells getting a full respray, have'nt desided on a colour yet thou!!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
For the fuel pump, you do need to connect it to the relay.

The 172 fuel pump relay has two white wires coming out of it (on the same spade connection). these going via the crash switch (so make so it's 'set') and one goes to the coil pack and the other to the fuel pump. You've found the valver feed, so it shouldn't be hard to connect up :D

in this pic, there are 3 relay spaces on the top row and 2 on the bottom:
DSCF1317.jpg

the fuel pump relay is the bottom left (not inserted in my picture)

these are the connections:
DSCF1315.jpg

as for the dash lights not coming on, check your ignition live within the car (yellow wires), there must be power getting there though if the car is turning over

to get it running, you need an ignition live hooked up to the 172 loom (from the valver loom), so you must have it working somewhere

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
i think you got that engine from me, im sure i sold my one to someone from scotland?

Yep it was you i bought it from mate. It was some drive all the way from scotland to your place midge, we did it in one go, never stopped to rest!! Its taken a while for us to get the car to this stage, but we'l get there!

your garage. Words fail me. Want

Its not my garage pal, its a warehouse at my mates work on a quarry, they keep alot of the heavy quarry machinery in there, we've just got a small conrner of it to work on the car. It also has a pit in it, its built for artic lorrys going over, so the cars very close to falling down it as you should see from the pictures.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
For the fuel pump, you do need to connect it to the relay.

The 172 fuel pump relay has two white wires coming out of it (on the same spade connection). these going via the crash switch (so make so it's 'set') and one goes to the coil pack and the other to the fuel pump. You've found the valver feed, so it shouldn't be hard to connect up :D

in this pic, there are 3 relay spaces on the top row and 2 on the bottom:
DSCF1317.jpg

the fuel pump relay is the bottom left (not inserted in my picture)

these are the connections:
DSCF1315.jpg

as for the dash lights not coming on, check your ignition live within the car (yellow wires), there must be power getting there though if the car is turning over

to get it running, you need an ignition live hooked up to the 172 loom (from the valver loom), so you must have it working somewhere

Thats quality mate, thanks. I think I understand you!! As I said above we'll not be going back to work on it until tuesday night, so will give what you've said ago then.

I'll write a post on wednesday to let you know how we got on, with some more pictures.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Matteh the only question i have is, where do I connect into the white wire that goes to the fuel pump relay? Do i just cut it from the loom or does it go to the 172 loom plug?

Cheers.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the white wireshould go from the relay to the crash switch and then to the feed for your fuel pump (and the other to the coilpack). I chopped the connector off the end of the 172 loom and mated a valver loom connector to it. I think the wire for the fuel pump is C1 (on a ph1), but you said you already have that?

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
the white wireshould go from the relay to the crash switch and then to the feed for your fuel pump (and the other to the coilpack). I chopped the connector off the end of the 172 loom and mated a valver loom connector to it. I think the wire for the fuel pump is C1 (on a ph1), but you said you already have that?

So your saying that the white wire goes to the 172 loom plug?

I've got the car side of the 172 loom too(female), so plan to wire the 16v feeds into that so its just a case of plugging it into the 172 loom plug(engine side) and bobs your uncle!!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sure

I did mine the other way round, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference at the end of the day

how did you sort the ECU?

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
sure

I did mine the other way round, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference at the end of the day

how did you sort the ECU?

I got the ECU decoded. If you mean how have i mounted it, then the awnser is i've not done it yet. I'm planning on getting hold of the 172 ECU case/holder so I can mount it to the car with the ECU inside.

Cheers again for your comments.
I'm going to work on the car tonight so will post back tomorrow and let you know how we get on. I'll try to remember to take some more photos.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Matteh, Been up at the car tonight. Am still struggling like!!

We found the two white wires coming ou tof the relay. We traced one back to the coil pack and then the other to the crash switch.

We counld'nt seem to trace the white wire from the crash switch back to the 172 loom plug? We managed to trace the pink wire that runs from the crash switch to the 172 loom plug thou, but when we connected it up to the phase 1 16v feed and turned the igntion on nothing happened!!

Is it the pink wire we were meant to trace back to the 172 loom plug?

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
must be

have you probed it with a multimeter? find out where the voltage is stopping...

when you turn the ignition to stage 2, you should get a 12V pulse to prime the pump. when you start the car, it should be a constant 12V

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
This is the crash switch with one white wiring going in from the relay and a pink coming out which goes to the 172 loom plug.

This photo (below) is of the 172 loom plug you can see the pink wire which comes from the crash switch.(Circled) But when I connect it up to the ph1 16v feed and put the ignition onto click 2 nothing happens.
The one thing I did'nt do was see if it was geting 12 volts when the key is turned to click 2. I'll give that a try unless you can think of anything else?

Thanks again for you help mate.

do you really want a crash switch? ;)

i personally like the idea of going out in a ball of flames :evil: :race:

do you really want a crash switch? ;)

i personally like the idea of going out in a ball of flames :evil: :race:

I take it I dont need to use the crash switch then mate?

i don't

but then i will be using it on track and dont want the crash switch to be triggered if i go over a big apex/kerb a bit too fast, also have a switch inside the car that cuts the fuel pump

up to you :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I have mine on and mines just as low as yours geesus and I've never had it cut in, even with the harsh kangarooing it does :(

i've had mine cut in twice on the pug, and thats on pretty much standard (soft) suspension :(

both times on rough roads giving it some stick (its only a 1.4 so not going warp speed either lol)

just dont want it to cut it when on track, i know some kerbs can be very harsh, and although i will do my best to avoid them its bound to happen sooner or later