ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My MX5!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Thought i would make a thread now even though i wont be doing much until after September :(,

Bought the car mid December and have been loving it so far, i'm itching to start modding it but unfortunately my insurance is with admiral who obviously aren't very mod friendly, so for now i'm just enjoying driving it. There is a couple of mechanical things to sort out like one of the sills needs looking at and the brakes need replacing so shall hopefully sort those out soon

Only a couple of pictures for now as there isn't anything particularly interesting to document! Hopefully later on this year i can provide some interesting updates.

8479540740_0dbcdfd29b_z.jpg

P1010443 by Euan94, on Flickr

8478449687_0546ccdd22_z.jpg

P1010442 by Euan94, on Flickr

8479541434_21329ed57a_z.jpg

P1010441 by Euan94, on Flickr

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
One of the only cars that rust faster than they accelerate.

Great cars to drive though.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I'm not buying another one. Fed up with chasing rot.

IIRC Mini's were rusty when they came out the factory! :p

Nice MX-5, seems to be the going trend atm. Unfortunately my hair makes me look like a hair dresser so I don't need any help from a MX-5.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Interesting, I've found that Admiral aren't too bad with mods in the past. Have you given them a ring?

yeah when i was looking around there was an mx5 with coilovers that i tried to get a quote on and they flat out refused to insure me on it. Might be due to it being a multicar policy but i'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Tis only a 1.6 but i'm only 18 so not too bad really

BMW 330d :)
I've just got a mk1 1.8is and im loving it. Doesnt really bother me about the lack of power. Its still quite quick and its fun to drive as you are sitting on the floor.

I must be the tallest mx5 owner on here and I can still drive it! (6ft6 lol)

Listerine & Poledo
Mk2's got almost no rustproofing, mk2.5 came with OEM oxidising of major chassis components from the factory.

I'll say something for mk1, they seem to last longer between panels!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
So a small update on this,

Had Pagid discs and pads fitted all round by Dan at 519 Automotive, a vast improvement on what was on there, when i picked it up Dan showed me the back of my front discs which were very rusty and clearly hadn't seen much of my pads for a while.

And just tonight I've fitted a square number plate to the front which really tidies it up i think
8620385682_3632ae78c4_z.jpg

Front Plate MX5 by Euan94, on Flickr
Sorry for the terrible pic!

I'm hoping to have coilovers for it next month but i'm struggling to decide on what to put on it.

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Don't get cheap ebay ones..

I'm trying to decide on what to get thinking either Meister-R's or Gaz Golds..

GT 86
You will come out of the house one morning and it will look like this. ;) But until then it will drive lovely.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Don't get cheap ebay ones..

I'm trying to decide on what to get thinking either Meister-R's or Gaz Golds..

I was very tempted with the ebay specials at only £200 but i think its probably better to go for something better. i like the look of the HSD as they seem to fit my needs well as i'm not looking at trackdays. Apart from the two you've mentioned do you know what other options there are?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Not really a lot else that are £600 or under tbh.. unless you buy second hand..

Yeah the HSD's seem pretty well rated as well..

Mine is mostly track though and haven't heard much feedback from them in that respect.

The eBay ones are bad if you get them low as in rock hard and will break your back oh and probably seized up within a few months!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Hmmm, i guess i shall have to have a think,

Agreed on the HSD's, they seem to be more for going low without losing ride quality.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If your not already get onto MX5nutz

Search is crap on there though so search via google :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah I am on there, thanks for the tip with the search, i tend to get angry with searching so just give up lol

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
ENKEI RPF1s?

They really suit that car, needs proper lows though, and a splitter for the front end to reduce the hairdresser look :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
With regards to wheels, I'm set on XXR 527's I'm afraid! I know they have been done to death but I absolutely love em!

Lows will hopefully be next month, and yeah I do need a splitter of some sort but its not as simple as just sticking on a garage vary one with a mk2 lol

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I've had the car nearly 6 months now and have finally started to move it away from its hairdresser roots. I had a Spax PSX fixed height kit fitted by Dan @ 519 this week which has lowered the car by around 30mm.

It's about as low as i can go without causing me hassle so although in a perfect world i would have liked to have gone lower, at this height i can just about get on my drive without scrapping and i don't have to worry about speed humps particularly.
The Spax have made the car a lot stiffer and it feels better in the corners although I'm yet to really go for it as i need my alignment doing so I'm cautious of ruining my tyres for the moment.
8709729189_44c99c1ee9_z.jpg

MX5 05/2013 2 by Euan94, on Flickr
8710851532_8e49d15fef_z.jpg

MX5 05/2013 by Euan94, on Flickr

Next on the list is a front lip of some kind, I'm tempted by trying out a VW caddy lip to try and recreate the trap lips people have on mk1's but I'm not sure yet. not really up for spending the £150 that oem lips are.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Got a bit bored today so sprayed the orange reflectors on the corners.

A quick coat of satin black has made them much less noticeable and I'm pretty pleased tbh.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367854616.568914.jpg

Not a great picture but hopefully shows it.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Last edited:

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
That looks lovely.

I can't seem to work the new Flickr either. I can't grab the BB codes :(

Cheers,

Thats the same problem I'm having, tried lots of other suggestions from all over the internet but nothings working for me

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It won't let me open the share photo pop up menu so I can't even get the HTML.