ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Not Silver Ph1 172 Project Thread

Storm Grey 200
It all started one boring afternoon in weston-super-mare, when i saw this lovely black ph1 172 for sale on the forum.

It was a great price, so the following day I went and had a look. It all seemed good to go, so i bought it.

Image000%231.jpg

P1000892.jpg

P1000894.jpg

My previous car, the original black wizard, will be up for sale shortly, after i have had all the bits i want off it :evil:
DSCF6243.jpg

DSCF6272.jpg

There are a few things wrong with the car, and it needs a bit of TLC, but most is cosmetic.

First up I took it over to GDI for a major service. Well impressed with their workshop, and very friendly people :star:

Today i started prepping the side strips from the old car, as the match was a bit crap (shoite halfords paint ftl).
web.jpg

I then started to rub down and paint the interior door grab bits, they were bloody minging tbh.
P1000903.jpg

The centre airvents were broken/missing, so i got a pair from Cliospares for a fraction of what the dealer wanted. To fit these I had to take the entire dash out, pain in the arse.

P1000899.jpg

P1000900.jpg

Now that the dash is finally out, i have to remove the plastic welding so i can actually change the vent section. As its all out, i will also remove the silver bit from around the head unit, and respray it.

P1000902.jpg

Once this is done back goes the dash and its all happy again. Hopefully

Future plans for it are:

Transfer my speedlines
Sportlines or coilies
Carbon Splitter
and a few other bits and bobs...

Its currently got a powerflow stealth system:dead:, which will be removed and replaced with a prospeed exhaust :cool:

Its also god Brembo HC Discs and DS2500 with braided lines :approve:

Plenty of updates in the coming weeks.

Nick

Storm Grey 200
Re: My Not Silver Ph1 Thread

For some reason it didnt show the nice pics of the new car at the top so here they are...

web.jpg

P1000893.jpg

Storm Grey 200

The previous car is a 1.2.

And yep, those wheels are going to get swapped asap, current wheels are gashtastic.

audi a6 3.0tdi

Very nice!!! black ones are growing on me quite quickly now :) keep up the good work with it.

53 Clio's & counting
nice one chap, will be over soon and have a closer look, still ok for me to steal a pair of wheels?

Storm Grey 200
Today i put the lower dash back it, after painting the centre silver bit, and replacing the airvents.
P1000909.jpg

Yes my hands, they look retarded.

P1000918.jpg

P1000917.jpg

P1000919.jpg

Also put the handles back in, and its all matching up now.

web.jpg

And i finished up the rear halves of the bump strips. Much better colour match and general good-ness
web.jpg

Also took out the irritating aftermarket immobiliser :)

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
can I ask what colour paint you used for the door grabs and the silver bit round the central vents please?

Storm Grey 200
Yup, Audio Aluminium Silver. Its not a exact match to the original silver, but i re-sprayed all the parts, so its fine.

Storm Grey 200
Eurgh, today the electric window regulator broke in the passenger side, New one on its way.

New Toad Alarm came today, looks, interesting to fit. ha.

Also got a cup spoiler on its way to make ph1 rear end perfection :)

Also the above post should say AUDI not Audio.

Storm Grey 200
Right well time for an update.

Fitted the new alarm, which is good.

Also swapped the turini's from my old car onto the new one.
P1000968.jpg

Deffo need some spacers in there, they are hiding in the arches a bit.

P1000969.jpg

I got a new steering wheel from Warren4 and Riz, thanks.

The old one was buggered and the new one totally transforms the interior!

web.jpg

web.jpg

Today i set about getting rid of the nasty gaps infront of the headlights, well reducing them anyway. Very happy with the results.

web.jpg

The gap before was literally 1cm bigger. Pic's dont show to well as the cars black.

Next up a set about repairing the crack in the cup spoiler i have got for the car

web.jpg

Now its totally fixed, you wouldnt know it was there. Just being painted atm.

After this i wetflatted my headlights to remove scratches, or rather create them :quiet:

web.jpg

Next up i whipped out the PC and took them back up to a brand new shine.

web.jpg

Very pleased with the result.

And last of the day was to give the calipers a coat of silver paint, just to tidy them up

web.jpg

Thats all for today :approve:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good roght up dude....

my headlights are a mess, you have given me inspiration on them....

could you give me a step by step on products and what you did please

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks great mate, how difficult was it to get the centre vents out? Someone mashed mine when they stole a stereo out of the car years ago, and i have another one sitting in the garage, but when i found out the whole dash had to come out i left it!!!

Was the old car on springs or coliles?

Ph1
Cracking thread mate.

Is the steering wheel a re-covered one or a genuine new one?

How did you reduce the gap in the bumper? Just adjusting the mounts ?

As above plus one. What did you use to do the headlights, grades of paper, polish etc etc ??

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Nice car mate, IIRC this is the one I wanted to buy but you must have just pipped me to it, was it on about 60k with timing belt due?

Storm Grey 200
Yeah its on 60-something. The timing belt had actually been done, but i got it done with tensioners etc for peace of mind.

As for the headlights. I first masked up around them and then flatted them with 800 grade, then 1200 grade until all defects were removed. I then polished them up with Intensive polish via kestral. And next time i detail the car i will polish them with final finish.

To do the centre air vents its best to take the lower dash out, remove the plastic welds. Drill out rivets. Then you can remove the whole section. And replace the vents. I got the vents as a pair in the unit. I think its almost impossible to remove them/put them in without breaking them otherwise.

The previous car was on eibach sportlines

Storm Grey 200
As for the bumper gaps i got an assistant to push it in, whilst i tightened the bolts under the arch. The gap is so much better now, even if the pics don't show it.

The wheel has been retrimmed, i think its one that Mikeyk18 has done on here.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers for the info mate, looks amazing what you done so far!

It sounds like a shed load of effort to sort out that centre piece!!! The one i got doesnt have the vents in either so it would mean taking mine out, which doesnt sound good. Maybe i'll give it a miss for a while.

Are you selling the sportlines?? Was it a 1.2?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
How? JUST HOW? The first time i've seen a set of 2nd hand sportlines for my car in forever, and they're sold before they are even in the for sale section, think i'm gonna have a breakdown...

Cheers anyway mate ;)

Storm Grey 200
Nightmare tbh, covered in gunky rubber stuff...

I had them in the sink with a metal scourer thing and some hot soapy water, got all the crap off, wet flatted, the sprayed like any other part. Does look nice now tho :)

Storm Grey 200
Just a little one for today. Got an air filter from ktec and some greenstuff pads for the rear.

The air filter looks like it hasnt been changed for a good few years...

P1010009.jpg

In goes the new one...

P1010007.jpg

I noticed a clip on the air box was missing, so i DIY'd one out of a bit of old hacksaw. Does the trick :approve:

P1010012.jpg

Green pads look cool :cool:

Before:
P1000994.jpg

After, with a splash of colour:
P1010014.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
you tart lol

Oh and the the handles come up lovely with just sand paper ;)

looking good, photo shoot coming on on your drive i think lol

Storm Grey 200
Well just thought i'd say what was happening...

basically im at uni, so not physical updates as such.

Got all the colour coded bits back from the body shop.

Got some H&Rs on the way

Also got some F1's for the track/when i want a change

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
is the filter you've put on an ITG item??? If so how if any difference have you noticed as I imagine mine needs a service (ph-quick) and I want to upgrade it to an ITG element

Storm Grey 200
Been a long time since the last update. I now have H&R coils and black OZ F1's....

This weekend I am changing the radiator and sump gasket due to on going leaks:mad:

And fitting new HC Disks and Ferodo pads

I decided to move it into the "shed" for this as f doing it out on the gravel in the cold...

Unfortunately couldn't get up the 2 inch step into the shed, fecking lowered cars. Makeshift ramp.

Fish%20eye.jpg

Snow%21%21.jpg

Car.jpg

Holm.jpg

Vlojfr.jpg

Oh Hai. I have never hit a bird as far as I remember :dead:

web.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do love this car, I want one of those re-con'd sterring wheels, fancy swapping for an omp dished wheel? ;) lol!

Do you know if the guy still does them?