ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Not Silver Ph1 172 Project Thread

Storm Grey 200
I got mine of brown bear, who got it from irish geeeeeezer iirc. I have an old one if you want it? (free)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
REALLY?

It is something I could do with yes indeed!! Then I need to see about getting it trimmed!!!

I'm about to buy a car that has an aftermarket wheel and its not really my thang.

/hugs and kisses. x

Storm Grey 200
Well its the one in the pic before the new one, Probably a pic in a various FS thread aswell. PM me an address and I will post it out

getting a ph1 172?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ohhhhhhhh yes.... Can't wait. Have been delayed in getting it twice now, but one week today, it will be mine!!!

I'll have a project thread up too, althought I dunno if I'm as skilled as you! LOL!

PM'ing you address now :)

Storm Grey 200
Finally got the sump off today, after the last bolt was an absolute bellend. Also found my top engine mount is totally shot, so uprated or standard....

Storm Grey 200
Just ordered a uprated top engine mount, should get here tomorrow. Then back on with the sump. wooohoooo.

Also got some lovely RS mats :)

Storm Grey 200
I went for these, as I'm trying to steer away from the blue interior... Although i am strangely attached to it.

web.jpg

Storm Grey 200
oops, sorry. Yeah for a mk2. The fit is awesome! Way way way better than my last mats (which were genuine). I will get some pics up when I wash it in the week

Storm Grey 200
Got them from ebay, I'm not sure if you can still get them from the dealers....

Test drive was ok. Its still making a knocking noise. I shall have a wiggle of the engine tomorrow..

Titanium 182
You can get the mats from the dealers they're about £40-50 :)

Nice car !
(Nothing wrong with silver ones though :rasp:)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mats (tick)
Steering wheel (tick)
Rear bumper (tick)
Cup spoiler
Ph2 sidestrips and bullets (half tick)

Is it wrong I'm nearly done choosing my mods for a car I havent even got yet?

Cheers for all the info and help mate, and Aluco, damn right there's nothing wrong with silver ones!

Look forward to some pics of mats etc.

Storm Grey 200
The poor car hadn't any attention for ages!

I fell out of love with it due to oil and coolant leaks. So with the help of my dad, I changed the sump gasket and the radiator and fitted a ktr upper engine mount. Car drives great and I love it again :eek:

First up the interior, out with the old....

web.jpg

and in with the new :approve:

web.jpg

P1010761.jpg

P1010755.jpg

P1010759.jpg

They fit really well and tidy up the interior. :)

Next up, the outside.

Foam on.

Oh no, my pressure washer is dead :dapprove:

P1010753.jpg

web.jpg

P1010752.jpg

Well the show must go on, so no snow foam. But once I cleaned it I got a brand new washer replacement so its alll good.

Time for some clean pics

P1010762.jpg

Loving the new (old) cup spoiler http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=488551

P1010768.jpg

P1010763.jpg

P1010764.jpg

web.jpg

P1010765.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Storm Grey 200
After seeing that orange peel removal thread, I decided it was about time I did something with the cup spoiler I had painted about 5 months ago.

After getting it painted, I put it on the car. After just one day it had gone very orange peely and had been damaged by bird poo. I then got a full refund from the bodyshop and they gave me some BS about how they can't paint the spoiler because the plastic is too porus. Anyway, I got my money and we went our separate ways.

The spoiler had been kicking about in the shed since then and has so been damaged, a few chips and a scratch on the top.

For this I used 1500 wet and dry. And a bunch of clothes. Followed by a DA6 with a Menzerna Polishes and some pads.

I am crap at capturing on camera but hopefully you can see how bad the orange peel is. It was so bad I couldn't have the spoiler on the car.

web.jpg

web.jpg

So off I started....

P1010696.jpg

One of the scratches was very deep, I managed to get most of the long part out but I didn't want to risk it to much.

P1010700.jpg

This is where a bird has done its business on it, its etched very badly.

P1010708.jpg

After a bit of work its virtually all gone :)

web.jpg

web.jpg

Midway

P1010701.jpg

The edges were very tricky as I didn't want go through them...

P1010706.jpg

That big chip isnt budging, I will probably fill it paint and then flat it down, but for now this will do.

web.jpg

The top edge is pretty much done, so now its time for some polish!

P1010710.jpg

P1010709.jpg

P1010711.jpg

P1010712.jpg

And that was just with a few passes of Menz Intensive, its not taken the sanding marks out, but its getting there.

Well I finished it off today, to say I'm pleased is a gross understatement. I thought it was beyond repair.

Anyway here we go...

After giving it a pass or 3 with intensive polish it just wasn't taking off the sanding marks. So I bought out the big guns. Menz powergloss and a sonus restore pad. It still took a fair few passes but it was shifting.

P1010727.jpg

P1010730.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I applied this all over the top side of the spoiler, I then followed up with a Menz IP

web.jpg

And then followed up with Menz Final Finish on a finishing pad, it was getting REALLY shiney now :D

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

With the top done it was time to crack on with the end with the light.

This was pretty buggered, it had paint sinking and orange peel. Not to mention all the scratches and chips.

P1010733.jpg

web.jpg

P1010738.jpg

It was really tricky to get all the sinking out so I settled for as much as a could, I would hate for it to break into the colour coat at this stage.

Anyway this polished up really well and you barely notice on the car.

P1010736.jpg

P1010737.jpg

This was then polished more with IP...

P1010740.jpg

P1010739.jpg

I broke the break light :( Oh well

P1010749.jpg

All done, time for some wax.

P1010750.jpg

web.jpg

P1010741.jpg

P1010742.jpg

Really pleased and I would recommend this to anyone. You can really improve a very shoddy piece.

A word of advice, use finer grades because it was hard to shift the 1500 marks with a DA. (I didn't have any different papers)

Storm Grey 200
very easy tbh. bumper off, cross member, unbolt the rad, unplug the fan, undo the hoses. Reverse.