ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My ST v my Clio 200 - speedo video

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Various in-gear runs and a 20-80 sprint at the end. I'm surprised the Clio held up as well as it did...the torque of the ST makes me remember the 200 as being quite breathless...but it's never really that far behind...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio RS200 Cup
I can understand the clio not keeping up with all the videos being single gear pulls from low revs apart from the last. low down torque in a N/A car is nothing like it is In a turbod car,

RB 182 195bhp
I get the point your making, but surely in the real world you would be dropping a gear or two in both cars if you were going for it?
I'd be interested to see more comparisons of that nature.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Pointless vid IMO. The Clio didn't get taken over 5.5K in those in gear vids, and that's where it comes alive. IMO, the Clio would pull on the ST, if the focus is anything to go by also. What Bhp is the new focus?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Pointless vid IMO. The Clio didn't get taken over 5.5K in those in gear vids, and that's where it comes alive. IMO, the Clio would pull on the ST, if the focus is anything to go by also. What Bhp is the new focus?

Last video was pretty relevant? No?

Both look pretty even to me, a missed gear change in either would swing it. I'd imagine the torque makes the ST a better day to day car than a 200.

Renault Clio MK3
The last part of the video was a decent comparison, interesting to see that the Clio isn't too far behind tbh

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I'd imagine the ST is the better daily car yes. Easier power access etc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Last one is the true year as already mentioned

love how the clio is revving to 7k and the fiesta out of puff at 6 ;-)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Last video was pretty relevant? No?

Both look pretty even to me, a missed gear change in either would swing it. I'd imagine the torque makes the ST a better day to day car than a 200.

This is the point, this is what makes the ST a far better day to day car than the Clio. Urge is always available, no need to drop 2 gears before being able to get going. The only way to avoid that is by never letting the revs in the Clio drop beneath 5k...and LOL at doing that on your daily drive.

As said ultimate straight line acceleration through the gears is what you'd expect from two cars separated by 15PS and 50kgs I.e. Not much difference at all.

I bet this is plastered over Fiesta forums lol..

Its like doing the same with something Honda Type R range.. pointless.. the Clio enjoys to rev.. the Fiesta clearly doesnt, don't know a great deal about them but if its turbo'd then close this thread or chuck a blower on the clio and do a standing start run not low rev runs.

Stuff like this cheeses me off and the fact your on here trying to justify it on a Clio forum makes it worse.

Its about what you enjoy.. which clearly here most people will be Clio's.. if they want a fiesta they will join another forum..

Fiesta ST-2
It's an interesting comparison that I'm sure most hot hatch enthusiasts are interested in?

LOL at your point about wanting a fiesta and joining another forum... Have you seen the thread for new ST owners on here?

Last edited:
  RB 182 195bhp
I disagree, I think he is just showing a comparison of mid rang poke, when your going down a back road, you don't want to be at redline all the time day to day, you want to be able to use the mid range torque as demonstrated here.
As I said in my original post, I do think it would be interesting to see more top end comparisons, but maybe they aren't possible on the road?
I would also say to the people slating the st, I doubt you've been in one as if you had you'd realise it's a fantastic car and is by no means asthmatic at the top end like some have said and like most turbo cars are. I'd be willing to bet it will also handle just as well as a 200.
I'm not a fan boy of either, I just think people need to appreciate the fiesta for what it is, shows how the market has advanced a little in the last couple of years and moved the game on.

Range Rover Sport
I disagree.

Its showing a more powerful turbo car hitting certain speeds quicker than a less bhp car.

Surely 99% of the people on here already knew that?

I don't mind the ST and it looks to be an O.K car however I don't wish to own/lease/borrow one either, for me it lacks appeal.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Not exactly 100% accurate. T/C cutting in in the fiesta for example.

Also, did you say the point of this video is to show that the fiesta is a better daily? I dont really understand that if it is. I enjoy revs so id rather a 200 as a daily. If you enjoy boost then obviously it would be the fiesta.

Bit pointless imo

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I'm gonna put it out there too, technically...the St isn't standard either... :rasp:

Its like doing the same with something Honda Type R range.. pointless.. the Clio enjoys to rev.. the Fiesta clearly doesnt, don't know a great deal about them but if its turbo'd then close this thread or chuck a blower on the clio and do a standing start run not low rev runs.

Wouldn't really be fair to chuck a blower on the 2.0l clio considering the fiesta is only a 1.6 turbo :p

Polo + Micra
i think i'm going to have to do a little speedo vid to see how the polo compares to this new breed of 1.6T cars.

RB 182 195bhp
Appreciate the Fiesta you say...

My work car park is full of them, they bore me to death seeing them in various 'sporty' variants, my girlfriends mum has one ffs sake.

I'm out

Clio's aren't exactly the rarest of cars created are they?

RB 182 195bhp
I don't understand why people can't appreciate another car just because they don't own it?
If you prefer N/A and the revs that come with it, then fair enough your going to like the Clio, but surely you can appreciate that the ford is a good car in it's own right? Plus you have to remember all cars are going this way now, so it's something we are going to have to make the most of.
Are you going to tell me the Clio. 200 is better than a new bmw m3/m4 because they are turbo charged?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't understand why people can't appreciate another car just because they don't own it?
If you prefer N/A and the revs that come with it, then fair enough your going to like the Clio, but surely you can appreciate that the ford is a good car in it's own right? Plus you have to remember all cars are going this way now, so it's something we are going to have to make the most of.
Are you going to tell me the Clio. 200 is better than a new bmw m3/m4 because they are turbo charged?

If your getting at me with that post then no i wouldnt say a clio is better than an M3. They are in different classed. Possibly a N/A car in the same legue as an M3 or the likes.

The fiesta is a good wee car, i test drove one and was half planning buying one but it was a bit too expensive at the time. I was just saying i would rather have the revs than the boost. Hence why i sold my megane and got another 172.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
If your getting at me with that post then no i wouldnt say a clio is better than an M3. They are in different classed. Possibly a N/A car in the same legue as an M3 or the likes.

The fiesta is a good wee car, i test drove one and was half planning buying one but it was a bit too expensive at the time. I was just saying i would rather have the revs than the boost. Hence why i sold my megane and got another 172.

Its a age old debate, thats why i have a turbo and a n/a car. best of both worlds lol.

Range Rover Sport
I'm not overly found of the looks of the new M4 but I appreciate the specs etc.

If I did own one, I wouldn't go onto a 911 forum and post some useless video on how the M4 would be a 'better daily' than the 911. Or for that matter which brakes are better...

The Fiesta ST is an O.K car like I keep stating but I find the entire manner of the thread a little too 'baiting' and very little actual facts.

Just a tiny bit of butthurt in this thread I see.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Turbo lag" yet, whatever that is, think I'm too young to remember it.

Range Rover Sport
Just a tiny bit of butthurt in this thread I see.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Turbo lag" yet, whatever that is, think I'm too young to remember it.

You've never been in the wrong gear with a GT35 turbo then lol.

If I did own one, I wouldn't go onto a 911 forum and post some useless video on how the M4 would be a 'better daily' than the 911. Or for that matter which brakes are better...

To be fair Mark used to own a Clio 200 and from memory a 172 but I may be wrong.

He obviously still likes coming onto the forum as do I since I've moved on from having 6 Renaultsports and has posted a comparison video.

No harm in it.

RB 182 195bhp

That's a fair point. If your preference is the Clio, then it is, but some people earlier were saying the fiesta was rubbish and boring. Which it isn't, they are both very evenly matched, which ever is your preference is an opinion and that's fair enough.