ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My track172 Project

Ph2 Clio 172
Hey, not been around for long, to know a little about my previous cars see here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419126

OK, so I was clean for 5 months, 5 months I tell theee, without a track-toy, but I've fallen well and truely off the wagon :( It's an addiction that I'm not going to bother trying to cure anymore, just going to live with it!

I repainted my garage floor very quickly in preperation for some new tyres
neo0001.jpg

Now for pics of the car, see how many pics down it takes to realise whose it is/ was, this is how I pretty much picked it up

Interior has been semi-stripped, with the addition of a Cobra Evolution bucket seat...
neo0002.jpg

neo0003.jpg

Along with a pair of 3" 4 point Willans harnesses
neo0004.jpg

It has a OMP 320mm steering wheel, complete with no horn lol
neo0005.jpg

Still guessing?
neo0006.jpg

Uh ho! Yup, Rexe's old Ph1 RS Clio 172, paintwork is alreet

neo0007.jpg

neo0008.jpg

neo0009.jpg

So it's:

2001 RenaultSport Clio 172
2.0 16v
Max Powahhhh Induction kit, with CADs instead of fogs
Cobra Evolution seat
2x Willans 3" 4pt harnesses
YozzaSport Exhaust system with decat
Brembomax disks, with Ferrodo DS2500 pads
HIDs
Rosejointed Quickshift
Willams alloys
and also got a alloy bonnet, which is uber light thrown in aswell.

First impressions, I must say, are that I don't know why I didn't do one sooner, they pretty much perform from out of the box, very little been done to it, and I'm very chuffed.

On the shopping list that isn't allowed to be, so far, is a set of decent coilovers, and a diff :)

Your thoughts would be nice, however it probably looks just like everyone elses pretty much lol

:)

172 Race Car
Olly, welcome!

Loved your Nova bud, read the whole thread after you sent me the link on Youtube. Very impressed and I stole a few of your ideas for my car (AX wiper)

Looking forward to seeing what you can make of this car

Ph2 Clio 172
No way, so you're the Burp on my YouTube channel... wicked! haha

Already I'm after a set of decent coilovers, another Cobra Evolution bucket seat, or Suzuka... a plate diff too.

I do have some track-orientated questions about the chassis on the Clio's, is it best to ask here? or better to ask on a seperate thread you reckon?

Ph2 Clio 172
Burp, thanks for the link - another one added to my favourites that I'll begin to read ASAP :)...

OK, so the first few questions I have, is...

Due to all the windows being bonded in (rear quarters and rear screen) as opposed to just held in by rubbers (ala Nova), does this mean they offer some significant rigidity to the chassis itself, like the windscreen? (read between the lines, ie: I wanna remove them/ smash them and rivet polycarb in there, so then I can lose the elecs, and gut out the door innards, and fit sliders)

Are fibreglass panels easily accessible for the Ph1s? ie: bonnet & boot, albeit I already have an alloy bonnet that I'll sling on

Finally, I presume coilovers are all just a 'personal taste' thing, similar to what was used on the Novas? ie: everyone raves about a certain make, but unless you try others, you'll never know? for instance I ran Spax RSX on my Nova and loved them, wouldn't have changed them for anything (albeit completely custom spring rates), yet, ask nearly anyone on PNG, and they'll all rate GAZ all day long, and Spax would be right at the bottom of the list! Is there any major ones to avoid?

Following on, spring rates, I ran 350lb fronts, and 450lb rears, is this a similar setup to what would be used on a track orientated Clio? :cool:

Sorry for all what might seem like easy questions to you french veterans :D

Dan, thanks for the comments matey, hopefully it'll turn into something nice - whose Jay? :eek:

172 Race Car
Burp, thanks for the link - another one added to my favourites that I'll begin to read ASAP :)...

OK, so the first few questions I have, is...

Due to all the windows being bonded in (rear quarters and rear screen) as opposed to just held in by rubbers (ala Nova), does this mean they offer some significant rigidity to the chassis itself, like the windscreen? (read between the lines, ie: I wanna remove them/ smash them and rivet polycarb in there, so then I can lose the elecs, and gut out the door innards, and fit sliders)
Not sure if they add strength tbh. I doubt it seeing as Renault have put poly carbs in the R26R Megane.

Finally, I presume coilovers are all just a 'personal taste' thing, similar to what was used on the Novas? ie: everyone raves about a certain make, but unless you try others, you'll never know? for instance I ran Spax RSX on my Nova and loved them, wouldn't have changed them for anything (albeit completely custom spring rates), yet, ask nearly anyone on PNG, and they'll all rate GAZ all day long, and Spax would be right at the bottom of the list! Is there any major ones to avoid?

Following on, spring rates, I ran 350lb fronts, and 450lb rears, is this a similar setup to what would be used on a track orientated Clio? :cool:
If you search on here then H&R are very popular. They have fixed damping and imo are too stiff for the road and too soft for track use. I had them but wasnt that keen on the stock spring rates also. As you say alot of it is down to personal taste. Stock they were 400lbs front and a progressive rear, I ended up with 800lbs srpings on the rear to get the car to stop understeering (axle ratio of 2:1 means they were effectively giving a spring rate of 400lb)

Most of the coilover kits availabe keep the rear spring in the stock position (On the axle)

The AST's in running now convert to a coilover rear shock in the same way as the race cars used to run (very few kits do this and its apparently much better)

Springs are 450lb front and 400lb rear, I have some 450lb rear springs on order for a similar reason as with the h&r's (understeer) I like the rear of the car to be a little looser than it is now.

So going by my findings id say that the spring rates need to be similar front to rear, just my opinion on my car. The next person my disagree.

The beauty of having the ast's for m is the guy who supplies/builds them in the uk is based 5 mins away from my house so servicing/parts etc is easy. Plus he can build them to what ever spec you like (3 way adjustable if you have the £££)

Will be getting mine rebuilt and revalved this winter, more track focused, maybe with 600lb springs

whose Jay? :eek:
That would be me :)

Last edited:
  Ph2 Clio 172
Awesome, plenty of info for me to getting into there, thanks for your time in replying :)

Secondly, apologies for not know you're Jay... I'm still gonna call you Burp if ever we meet :D

Ok, so I can remove all the glass from the car, which is good news, I'll get a sheet of polycarb ordered so I can make some replacements up, 2mm FTW for ultimate lightness lol

I hear ya on the coilovers, and it sounds like we have similar driving style where we like the rear end to be a little lighter than most when turning in.

Not sure if you saw on my Nova, but on my rear suspension, because I didn't want to turret the rears, but I still wanted height and damper adjustability, I did this (links below), which enabled to keep the spring in the stock location (on the beam) and the shocker only in the arch, so I didn't have any clearence issues, might be worth me looking into doing something similar again maybe

here
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=879076&postcount=1019

here
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=879079&postcount=1021

and here
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=879080&postcount=1022

Ph2 Clio 172
Bought another Cobra Evolution seat and subframe, need to collect it from Swindon soon.

On the lookout still for some coilovers at the moment too :)

172 Race Car
Ah see what you mean now about the rear springs, did see it in your Nova thread but it was such a long read id forgot, Lol. Suppose it could be done to a Clio. Not seen it done on one before so you could be the first. Alot of people take out the adjusters to get the car as low as possible bu sometimes its still not low enough for them.

Mine is actually quite high compaired to some on here, lower isnt always better for handling

Ph2 Clio 172
You're certainly correct on that front! the main reason I left the adjusters in was for cornerweighting.

Loving yours btw, replied on your thread, took me nigh 2 hours, but well worth it :D

Ph2 Clio 172
Thanks for the comments/ interest chaps.

Opted for coilovers allround instead of doing what I did on the Nova on the rear, that way it's easier for me to change and mess around with spring rates, and lengths accordingly :)

Bought a stealth exhaust system today (2 silencers), along with a KTR silenced decat, which should keep the dBs to a more sensible rate for the tracks.

This also enables me to sell on my Yozzasport system & decat :)

Ph2 Clio 172
Just ordered some coilovers allound, opted for 450lb allround, with Jays help deciding - cheers bud :)

8" open length front and rear, 2.25" ID at front, 1.9" ID at rear

Should be here soon, along with new seat & exhaust system, then I can start progressing :)

Ph2 Clio 172
cheers f0xy, I've been constantly watching your project thread too!

I'm looking out for some solid top mounts, to complement the coilovers, I presume there is a huge difference between Comp-Brake, AST, Mark Fish and K-Tec ones...?

I think some require the strut tops to be drilled, and others fit without drilling...

I have the AST ones, which require no drilling, straight fitment...Ive not been in a car with any of the others, but I can say solid top mounts by far made a noticeable difference to the drive, and the 'feel' a lot more 'together' compared to standard top mounts....well worth the money!