ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My VX220 Turbo

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E90 M3
Would like a good luck around the VX too Sam, I <3 them.

f**k this thread. I'm meant to be putting the clio up for sale soon to buy something cheap to rock around in so I can get a house, but I'm now looking at VX200's and Elise's. Thanks CS.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
Disconnect the speedo and use satnav instead.

I'd have to drive that every day. Look at it ffs!

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Would like a good luck around the VX too Sam, I <3 them.

By all means... I need to book a CS Sat ticket now I have a car sorted. The other marques area always has a potentially interesting line up!

f**k this thread. I'm meant to be putting the clio up for sale soon to buy something cheap to rock around in so I can get a house, but I'm now looking at VX200's and Elise's. Thanks CS.

Been there and know that feeling. In Feb I was planning on "downgrading" the 182 to a ph1. Then it was a 220 NA, then following a single passenger ride in a supercharged VX I new it had to be SC'd or Turbo. Terrible terrible logic on my part!

Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah :) That's partly why I wasn't overly fussed by the above average (for a VX) mileage.

It will be doing a short commute Monday to Friday and then 300 miles every weekend to visit my girlfriend (+hooning mileage).

I also start a new job in October with 80miles a day in total journey time, so I'm hoping it'll be up to the challenge. If not then I might have to derv it up in something else, however I needed to get this out of my system and ticked off the list.

You are officially now a man. None of this comfy car for the commute b****cks. Hard core miles. Hero.

Will do Sam, just got in so I'll take it to work and text you.

As for teaser.....

3946133-9.jpg

You're a hero too. You're slightly better as you also have a good name.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
Well I've said to everyone I know that I've always wanted an Exige, so this isn't a spur of the moment thing.

When my Clio broke, I would have loved to have bought an Exige, but even a NA one was too much back then.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I've said to everyone I know that I've always wanted an Exige, so this isn't a spur of the moment thing.
When my Clio broke, I would have loved to have bought an Exige, but even a NA one was too much back then.

likewise as i said to you at the wedding,
Exige or no lotus, i almost started looking at VX's the other day... whilst contemplating breaking the clio again...

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You are officially now a man. None of this comfy car for the commute b****cks. Hard core miles. Hero.

You're a hero too. You're slightly better as you also have a good name.

Might change my name just for Revel's (*What kind of a name is that! **Don't infraction me for slating your name please) online approval.

Same just picked it up, sad to see it go. But I literally cannot wait until next Friday. That flight home from Taiwan will be torture!

Dan, car is epic. There is no other way to put it. 450 miles this weekend since picking it up at 10am on Saturday and my back is feeling the strain lol!

Some things I've noticed:

Sticky tyres are sticky!
The vents are full of crap, need to get some tights over them.
Getting in and out is an art form that makes lanky people look stupid *aka me!
99% of the population have no idea what it is, makes me feel like a bit of an ASW!
5% of those people like to come up and ask what it is/stop for a chat.
I've been through 2 tanks already. Small tank FTL!
The hard top isn't too bad to get off and I parked it outside in the downpours last night, it doesn't leak!!!
Kayla doesn't mind it. In fact, she had a spin down her parent's track and enjoyed the drive.
The close pedals are perfect for heel and toe.
The bangs are addictive, as is boost :)

It goes round corners like nothing I've driven on the road before and you are 100% correct in saying that I'd have "started to learn it" within the first 50 miles. Without sounding too cheesy you really do feel like the car is part of you when pushing on. You just sort of, think it round the bends and then point and go when you come out the other side.

That said, this is simply the tip of the iceberg, I think I'm gonna book myself in for a driving limits training day and find out the limits of the car and more importantly myself. At the mo, I feel the biggest liability is the false sense of security I am experiencing with the very capable chassis.

P.S. I have acquired a Blink 182 CD, 2 pence and an unknown gauge. The space under the seats has many a hidden wonder apparently.

/essay and very very happy CS member.

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Llandow is a shout but I'm officially cleared out this month $$$

Reassess next month/may hang on for a cheeky last minute one.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
Glad you're likening it Sam. I did tell you they're a lot easier to drive than they look.

I should have warned you when you when you picked the car up, DON'T have anything loose in your pockets, like keys/coins. They will fall out and end up under the seat never to be seen again lol!

Glad the car's gone to another careful owner. Look forward to seeing you about Cheltenham soon!

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
Just FYI too

That silver thing in the driver sill is a clock. (as there's no click in the car). Not sure if it still works.

The other silver thing with a wire is a sound controller for the sub in the back.
I don't think there's any other things lurking about, unless they're under the seat lol!

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just FYI too

That silver thing in the driver sill is a clock. (as there's no click in the car). Not sure if it still works.

The other silver thing with a wire is a sound controller for the sub in the back.
I don't think there's any other things lurking about, unless they're under the seat lol!

Cheers for that. 1st commute managed this morning (only 3 miles). Couple of waves from school children lol!! Guessed one was the sub but had no idea on the other. Gonna invest in a scangauge to clear the EML and check for the fault number you referred to.

Know's it!

It really brings out the hooligan in me. Loving the burbles on overrun as well. Tunnels are addictive... Pppssshhhhh BANG!

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
Has the EML come on already? I think I'll be investing in one too, really useful bit of kit.

Yeh the burbles are awesome, even better with the roof off.

Is the weather back there even VX roof off weather?!

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Roof was off last night. No chance my Dad was getting in with the roof on lol!

EML managed to stay off for about 400 miles and then clicked on whilst going around the M25 yesterday. But no worries, you warned me what it was and mentioned the fault code so I'll either plug it in to the GF's laptop or invest in a scangaugeII on pay day. Handy to have in the car to monitor other variables like inlet temp, mpg and engine load as well. Looks like I'll be seeing about 250miles to a tank so not too bad.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
250 is pretty good. I think I did scrape 300 once, but I was driving like a granny for every mile.
I really like the fact that these sorts of cars can be so "cheap" to run, when you compare them with cars of similar performance like M3s etc. (and you'll even leave an M3 behind on a twisty road too!

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Suzuki Jimny
Dan, did you do a comparison of insurance prices against a NA and turbo VX220 at any point?
The turbo is coming out at £40 cheaper for me!

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Evo 5 RS
That's the thing, the NA ones will do almost 40mpg and aren't slow by any stretch, but after a few weeks I know i'd be wanting the turbo lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
lol and saying about getting in and out Wick,
dan was giving me lessons about how to do so at a wedding of a fellow CS'er

hmmm, reading this makes me consider scrapping the 172 build and purchasing

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  R26
Have a look at the classifieds on VX220.org.uk Neil.

I bet you can pick up a NA one for a decent price, and as you like to get your hands dirty, supercharge it yourself.
That would be a neat little project IMO.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Insurance for the Tubby comes in at a smidge under £900 for me with Admiral. All stage 2 mods declared along with the wheels, I'm 23 with 5 years no claims and 6 years driving experience. 12k miles per year. Good value when I was paying £750 for the clio. Matt, it was the same for me. The NA was only £30 different to insure, but after a test drive, in my opinion it just didn't pack the punch to match the looks... Very capable, but didn't quite feel as special.

^ Supercharger would be a great project. I almost bought one until I checked the insurance for the thing! £1600!! No ta! Performance is wonderful though. I've been out in a stage 2 SC'd VX running at just over 240bhp so pretty much identical to my Turbo, however linear power delivery does not begin to describe it, sublime machine, and that whine :eek:

If you can't be bothered Joe and Lee on the VX forum offer the service £2500 +mapping for stage1 SC or Stage 2 for £3200 +mapping. That's for parts and fitting but excluding a wider bore exhaust iirc. Seriously good price, when you add up the part prices and then factor in how much time it would take to fit.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Have a look at the classifieds on VX220.org.uk Neil.
I bet you can pick up a NA one for a decent price, and as you like to get your hands dirty, supercharge it yourself.
That would be a neat little project IMO.

mate don't even tempt me (you know i will look on there later...lol)

Insurance for the Tubby comes in at a smidge under £900 for me with Admiral. All stage 2 mods declared along with the wheels, I'm 23 with 5 years no claims and 6 years driving experience. 12k miles per year. Good value when I was paying £750 for the clio. Matt, it was the same for me. The NA was only £30 different to insure, but after a test drive, in my opinion it just didn't pack the punch to match the looks... Very capable, but didn't quite feel as special.

^ Supercharger would be a great project. I almost bought one until I checked the insurance for the thing! £1600!! No ta! Performance is wonderful though. I've been out in a stage 2 SC'd VX running at just over 240bhp so pretty much identical to my Turbo, however linear power delivery does not begin to describe it, sublime machine, and that whine :eek:

If you can't be bothered Joe and Lee on the VX forum offer the service £2500 +mapping for stage1 SC or Stage 2 for £3200 +mapping. That's for parts and fitting but excluding a wider bore exhaust iirc. Seriously good price, when you add up the part prices and then factor in how much time it would take to fit.

oh no, this is a slippery slope

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Suzuki Jimny
The NA was only £30 different to insure, but after a test drive, in my opinion it just didn't pack the punch to match the looks... Very capable, but didn't quite feel as special.

I had a test drive in a NA and found it awesome and very fast, but then again i've never been in a turbo one...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Superb buys guys! Both lovely machines. The Lotus is something else! I want a Type72 so badly!

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a test drive in a NA and found it awesome and very fast, but then again i've never been in a turbo one...

They carry speed very well. Also not "underpowered" so to speak, simply not as fast. I think if I had the NA I would probably crave more power fairly quickly.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Moonland is an epic colour! Spent the past 2 evenings giving it some love with the polishes and waxes. Truly is stunning.

I have noticed that one previously, it's also for sale on the VX forum. Do a reg check and it should bring up a bit of history... :)

Edit, you'd need to sign up to "stalk" profiles, but I can PM you the previous owner if you are interest lol?

Last edited: