ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mystery vapour problem

Saab 9-3
Firstly, apologies if I'm posting out of turn - I'm a Clio newbie, having spent the non-rainy portion of the weekend under my girlfriend's Mk1 Facelift 1.9 D. Yeah, not exactly a Williams, so the 'sport' bit might not be applicable.

Given that every time it starts up, great white billows come from the exhaust pipe, and the radiator levels are low (I'd topped it up for her a couple of weeks back), when I came to service it on Saturday, I expected seriously emulsified oil, and was psyching myself up for a cylinder head gasket change.

In fact, the oil was absolutely filthy, but definitely very black.

Any ideas? I'd rather not have the CH off if not entirely necessary! She's visiting again next weekend, so it'd be great if I could be prepared!

Thanks all.

James

CB600FS
Little bit of smoke on a old diesel is acceptable mate.

Test all 4 glow plugs with a test light or a bit of wire on the battery. Its worth checking the air filter and diesel filter (change them if you can) sounds like it just needs to get warm, then take it for a good run.