ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

Mk1 F4R
Bought myself a naples red mk1 clio 1.8 16v on monday 31 August 09. There are some bad points to the car and some good ones but for the age of the car its in ok condition.

Good points..
Williams wheels
Williams spoiler
Big brake conversion, so ive been told
Black leather trim
Immobiliser

Bad points..
Few dints
some little patches of rust
valve stem seals are going
wheels are fading

Realy just needs a good tidy up and then ill add my touch to it
Me and f0xy are changing the head over the weekend

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
Burrrilliant, another one. There are going to be loads of us next year!

Rough list of plans for it?

Mk1 F4R
Burrrilliant, another one. There are going to be loads of us next year!

Rough list of plans for it?

Ill do my best to make it sound like burrrr just for you lol

Get rid of the fiesta first before i start messing with this one or my dad will start going mad at me.

The list for the car before marham
Put new head on this weeked
strip car out
put buckets in
general tidy up
new oil,oil filter,new gaskets,coolant
new coolant bottle as the old one looks like there is T in it

Future plans
172 wide track (starting to buy the parts now)
172 engine (maybe)
cage
spray inside car
and im sure there are some more things to do aslo along the way

Were are there going to be loads of us with mk1 on cs

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
If you look in the second pic the car is on full lock as MARK ONE said and then the pic of the engine bay was taken at the same time. The firts pic was take 10 mins before i started to take some grills out of the front and move the car around

aye liking that laddie! height looks good too, think im gonna cheap out on springs for now before i can afford coilies.

i like the colour coded vent thing, thought it would look abit too smooth but i like, better than my bright orange one anyways lol

will probs see it sometime this week if your out and about in it

Homo spec mazda
Love this adam, glad this finally happened, Will you be bringing it to the ZSOC meets too?

Mk1 F4R
aye liking that laddie! height looks good too, think im gonna cheap out on springs for now before i can afford coilies.

i like the colour coded vent thing, thought it would look abit too smooth but i like, better than my bright orange one anyways lol

will probs see it sometime this week if your out and about in it

Thanks mate and yes we should all meet up in the week
you can buy my spring when i get coilies hopefully soon ;)

Love this adam, glad this finally happened, Will you be bringing it to the ZSOC meets too?

Told you i was getting one if you didnt remember
Yes ill be taking it to some zsoc meets just to show them up lol:lolup:

Mk1 F4R
This is what has been happening the last few days, been sorting the new head out to put on the car today. Thanks to f0xy once again
Started by cleaning up the head, rocker cover,cam belt cover and the plates that hold the cams after drying them we started to paint it all up in a silver hammered hammerite.
This is wot they look like now

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

Going to go and put the cams in and seal it all up then i can bring it home and put it in the car
More pics late

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Very nice looking car Jamie :approve: Like you mentioned after a tidy up it will be awesome! Keep us posted!

*Subscribed*

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Never seen one in that red, looks really nice, and suits the wheels in that colour too, too low for my liking mind.

Mk1 F4R
Well wot a 3 days working on the car its been, somethings went smoothley and other things whent wrong

The stem seals needed replacing as it was smoking from the back luckily f0xy had a head that was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago

Started off early saturday mornning by taking the bonnet off, didnt realise how much thay weigh.
Wot a state the engine bay was in dust, muck and cobwebs everywhere
PIC_0148.jpg

PIC_0149.jpg

The next thing i did was to disconnect the battery and taking out the front lights along withe the slam panel

PIC_0151.jpg

I then rolled the car out of the garage slightly to to remove the radiator and the old coolant that was full of crap (looked like T)

PIC_0152.jpg

PIC_0153.jpg

This was the state of the old coolant bottle

PIC_0154.jpg

it looked like it had done its time so decided to get another one off f0xy
looks so much better with this one on

IMG_6899.jpg

Pushed the car back into the garage, wot a struggle that was uphill lol
Started to disconnect the water hoses, wires and pipes off the engine and remove that horrible coolant bottle and also the air box

PIC_0157.jpg

out cam the spark plug cover and off came the dizzy cap

PIC_0158.jpg

at about 4 me and f0xy went to the factory to build the new head up
more to come ...

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
At the factory we needed to put the cams into the head and then put the cam carriers on top with the cam seals 40mm , once this was done we put it into the back of the car and took it back to my house

PIC_0161.jpg

PIC_0162.jpg

PIC_0164.jpg

got back to mine quite late on about 8 ish and started to take the old head off, once f0xy was with me helping thing started to go a bit quiker

Head came off quite easy when you know wot you are doing, cambelt, injectors, pulleys that sort of thing

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

One of f0xy scraping the old gasket off

IMG_6863.jpg

whilst we had the head off we noticed a marking/scoring in one of the
cylinders, didnt seem too bad

IMG_6869.jpg

The new gasket was fitted and the new head was put on, second time lucky as we left a pin in the bottom of the head and these things arnt the lightest of things to hold for along time
It was bolted down and the pulleys put on, then the rocker cover put back on.
I then let f0xy work his magic with the timing

IMG_6893.jpg

PIC_0168.jpg

PIC_0166.jpg

Everything was now back in wires, pipes, manifold bolted back on and the radiator was put back in.
These were also swapped while the head was out crank sensor, idle control valve, throttle position sensor and coil
All the engine bay has been cleaned and srp'd and looks a lot better now

PIC_0170.jpg

Everything was then put back on the car and it started up firSt time.
Turned it off after 20 mins then tried to start it again and this is when the problems started it would start then cut straight out again. This is when we started checking everything possible that f0xy knew of and it took us till 10pm on monday to figure out what it was and there was two little plastic granules in the vacume holes on the inlet,pesonally i think it was a guy at f0xys dads work being an idiot like usual messing with things but who knows, anyway we got a soldering iron and burned through them and the car works fine

We also changed alot of the wiring and is now miles better
This is the old wiring we soldered it all up

PIC_0180.jpg

The car was then given a good was and srp'd and come up really well

PIC_0179.jpg

Last edited:
  williams 2,seat leon
sure ive got a grill in naples red, sat in the garage somewhere. let me know if its any use

Mk1 F4R
Yesterday went on a 50mile round trip to pick up 2 new items, the first one was a williams steering rack from coops and then from coops parents house nr warrington it was on to winstons house to pick up a 4-2-1 supersprint manifold and its wraped too.
Decided to do the 172 wide track

Williams steering rack for the 172 wide track
PIC_0184.jpg

PIC_0185.jpg

supersprint manifold 4-2-1
PIC_0187.jpg

PIC_0189.jpg

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
tried one of f0xys wheels before for when i get my wheels refurbed but cant make my minde up wether black or white
Wot do people think

PIC_0197.jpg

PIC_0200.jpg

Also sprayed the scuttle panel in black as it was fading

PIC_0191.jpg

PIC_0193.jpg

A4 130
Looks good, will be good if you get a 172 engine, still havent seen Jords since he did the engine

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Do you actually work? All you seem to do is work on the car. Really like this car, all I can say is bring on marham :evil:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I think either colour wheels look good tbh, white is more rare than black these days but will get covered in shiiiit and baked on brake dust on track?

Nice car though, I miss my old valver :(

Mk1 F4R
Looks good, will be good if you get a 172 engine, still havent seen Jords since he did the engine

I tell you wot mate that car is emence on track ive drove it twice now on track ( brands and cadwell) and thats wot made me get a clio :rasp:

looks sweet. im thinking i prefer the white on red look more.

Thaniks mate you still got to come down and see it

Do you actually work? All you seem to do is work on the car. Really like this car, all I can say is bring on marham :evil:

Bring on marham jams me vs you in our valver 1.8 and then its f0xy vs whitley in the 172 valvers should be a good two days.
I do work you cheaky sod mon to fri 8am till when ever its done :D

black wheels all the way, its what i had on my naples a few years back.

Might get giddy with some black paint later and if they look good in black ill get them powder coated soon and then they will look even better with 172 widetrack