ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nasty Engine Noise

Sorry for posting this in two places, but I messed typed it in the wrong place to start with :confused:

My 172 has started making the strangest of noises. Coming from the left side of the engine. A mechanical wobbling sound. Almost sounds like a loose mounting or something!

Does anyone have any experince of this? Is this a common 172 fault?

It doesnt seem to affect the power or any other behaviour, but its quite audiable when the car is idleing... ANY ideas would be appreciated. Typical for it to happen when theres gonna be no Renault mechanics about on a Sunday.

Herts172.

Incidentally, after some more googling it sounds like it may be the water pump. Anyone know what side of the engine its on? I hear its a bumper off job!

the engine mounts are notorious for not being bolted up properly, check if its on tight enough by popping down to Ren or just wobble it real hard.

almsot all our cars come with it and we fix it pre inspection.

Hi Ben,

Yeah I kept hearing about this, and I checked today and it all seems nice and tighe. Im actually thinking that one of the tensioners has given up the ghost now. Bit worried to drive it.

yes my 172 makes a noise as well, think it might be the belt, only happens when its damp, but is does make a strange noise as well when the car has warmed up a bit, like you when it is idle can hear it, its like a squeal kid a noise. my friend is a mechanic at renault so i will ask him.

I had the AA out today and he seems to reckon its something to do with the tensioners too. Maybe the bearings?

Im off to Renault in Watford tomorrow morning so hopefully theyll tell me what its all about and fix it.

Ive actually recorded the sound it makes. It sounds quite ropey (about 86k in wav format)

http:\\www.jabsoft.co.uk\dscf0008.wav