ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some advice.. Buying car!

Monaco 172
So I found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1414

he told me full service history, then in a later email replied with "hi mate ive fucked up i was thinking of old clio i only have 3 service stamps in the handbook on this one so doesnt have frsh so wud take 2600 cash"

Anyway he said he would take 2500 for it, is it worth it? I'm literally clueless so want to get some advice before I dive in so to speak. any info is good, cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you haven't got a clue, then for the love of god take someone along who knows what they're doing with RS clio's.

Sounds as though the seller doesn't have a clue either so definitely take someone in the know to look round it.

Monaco 172
Yeah, I can get someone.. who knows stuff about cars in general at least. But what do you think from the add etc!? looks alright? don't want a wasted trip, lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah, I can get someone.. who knows stuff about cars in general at least. But what do you think from the add etc!? looks alright? don't want a wasted trip, lol

YOu need to find out when/who did the cambelt. What tyres are on it, if all the paintwork is original, check the seatbelt pretensioners are still intact, check the airbag light comes on and goes out within 10 seconds, check its got two working keys, check the colour of the oil, the colour of the coolant; both of these will tell you how well its been treated. If they're both black and gunky the chances are its not been serviced regularly.
Check it starts from cold, get it hot and check it startd from hot.

Tbh, these are all basic used car checks but the Cup's in particular have a habbit of suffering at the hands of Jenson Hamilton wannabes.

Thing is the chap is already going back on important things like service history so you start to wonder what else hasn't been done, cambelt etc. Just double check everything is right like Daniel has gone through.

For another £500-£1000 your into 182 money.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
YOu need to find out when/who did the cambelt. What tyres are on it, if all the paintwork is original, check the seatbelt pretensioners are still intact, check the airbag light comes on and goes out within 10 seconds, check its got two working keys, check the colour of the oil, the colour of the coolant; both of these will tell you how well its been treated. If they're both black and gunky the chances are its not been serviced regularly.
Check it starts from cold, get it hot and check it startd from hot.

Tbh, these are all basic used car checks but the Cup's in particular have a habbit of suffering at the hands of Jenson Hamilton wannabes.

Jenson Hamilton. LOL.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
For £2.5k id want it to be absolutely mint, with full service history.

My Trophy could have had 55k and 3 stamps in the book if i had a) changed the clocks, b) bought a service book off ebay.

Monaco 172
Ok thanks. MOT is due in a month. didn't notice that part, kinda puts me off. And yeah, I wouldn't mind a 182, can afford it just having a hard time finding one half locally.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If you limit yourself to finding one 'locally' you will struggle.

You absolutley have to commit yourself to travelling for the right example. I've said it 100 times before, but; If it was the difference between travelling round the corner for a 'so-so' example and to lands end for an absolute minter i'd sooner take a day out of the year for the minter. Absolutley everywhere in the UK is an hour by plane and 7-11 hours driving.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with Danny, I cannot understand people that aren't willing to travel.

This is £000's we're talking about, not a £100 banger!

172 Cup
Seems expensive to me. I paid £2150 for my 2003 172 cup with 56k, FSH, belts 6 months ago by Ktec, brand new cup suspension, decent tyres, full MOT and brembo HC discs etc.

Car was up for £2,600 on Ebay - auction ended with no bidders so I phoned, went to see the car, haggled and I feel I've got a bargain. I had to drive 110miles to buy it/look at it - but the fuel cost is peanuts compared to the hassle I've not had to endure from buying a local clio that's been abused and uncared for.

defo take someone with you, i had a cup and theyre good cars when looked after and id try offer him 2300 show him the cash bet hed take it as the cups are significantly cheaper no air con, leather seats xenons etc

clio 172 cup
This is my car and I do have a clue I work at renalt the car wants bothings its mint and I can remot or get full helath check at work to prove the wants nothing I've spent a small fortune on this recently and is worth every penny I did make a mistake thinking it had full service history like my old one but its got 3 stamps in book including cambelt change at 30k

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
This is my car and I do have a clue I work at renalt the car wants bothings its mint and I can remot or get full helath check at work to prove the wants nothing I've spent a small fortune on this recently and is worth every penny I did make a mistake thinking it had full service history like my old one but its got 3 stamps in book including cambelt change at 30k

Were you drunk when you typed that?