ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some convincing on buying a RS 172

Hi guys,

Im quite new to the Clio Sport scene. Being through all the past postings and found that alot of them involves issues with the car. I know that RS172 isnt exactly a quality builded car, but am i asking for trouble by selling my 97 Nissan 200sx (which in my opinion is a very well built car with no issues at all) for a RS 172.

People might ask why do i want to sell it? Well, its getting expensive to own a turbo car as im starting a family soon, hence the cost cutting action. Therefore, the next best option in my budget would be a RS 172. Oh! by the way, im in Australia.

Heard good things about RS172, but with all the known issue with RS172 (which sounds like a pain in the a**) can someone please convince me as i really like RS172!

Thanks

Gday!

there arent that many problems really, if you buy it second hand then the problems will have already been sorted anyway.

Mine has no problems and i love driving it every day!

/Dan.

Renault Laguna Coupe

the good thing about known issues is that they are known. Better than getting an unpleasant surprise that you never expected.

I had mine for 33000 miles. The only problem I had (apart from the points on my licence) was a leaky washer bottle.

Welcome to Cliosport, sport :D

i had a 172 cup and never had a problem, i had a 182 after and that had nothing but problems, i guess its the luck of the draw

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

think of it this way, the clio is still understated, the silvia looks the part and people will expect it to be fast, the 172 just looked like a subtly pumped up clio, until you put your foot down then its bye bye gti, type r, cupra r, it will give bigger powerful cars a good run for there money and will always put a smile on your face.

as for issues of faults, well ive never had any and dont really know of anybody thats had a dud car on this site(apart form 1) so they are pretty reliable,

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Hi

Id go for it,im a 182 owner and have had no problems with mine in 16 months now.One or 2 minor niggles but overall my Clio has had the least amount of trouble ive ever had from a new car.

Forums are sometimes unfair on cars,look at any car forum and the faults section is always full !

Id say get one :cool:

tbh for the most part the problems people have had are normally niggly issues like rattles noises or poorly fitted trim parts. In terms or reliability its pretty rare for there to be a problem that actually keeps the car off the road or stops it running.

Mini Cooper S sport

Gday mate - chuck a prawn on the barbie for us (and any other Aussie clichés you can think of ;))

Definitely get a 172! Just try to get one with some warranty left on it, so if there are any faults it wont cost you as much to get them fixed.

My 172 had some warranty work carried out on a fault which I didnt even know it had, and needed a suspension knocking noise fixed, but aside from that it was fine and never gave me any problems - the 182 has been great *touch wood* so far as well.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 23 July 2005

tbh for the most part the problems people have had are normally niggly issues like rattles noises or poorly fitted trim parts. In terms or reliability its pretty rare for there to be a problem that actually keeps the car off the road or stops it running.
what he said^

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 23 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 23 July 2005

what he said^

And again!!! I had a few teething problems with mine, but am happy to report 100% satisfaction and no problems since, apart from the big cheesy grin every time I drive it! :D

Check that all the known problems have been sorted, get full service history and youll be fine!

Golf R/Leon FR

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 23 July 2005

Pound for the pound, the 172/182/Cup (dont want to upset anyone) is the best hot hatch out there at the moment.
totally agree you cant ask for better in terms of performace vs cost etc.

go for it dude you wont regret it.

i got my 172 2nd hand and havent had a problem with it at all!!! (touch wood!!)

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

Cut cost elsewhere! Im required to have a new car but given freedom id have the 200sx everytime!

One of the most balanced, easily tuneable oversteers Vs FWD shopping car (admittidly the best shopping car tho)

Personally id go with a type r if i was in the market for reliable well built secound hand hot hatch, especially seeing how you can pick up a low milage 02 plate example up for less than 10k now, and they would make more sense for a family being like a mini mpv inside and all.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by jph172 on 23 July 2005
Ok, i know alot of people believe in keeping it standard but ive opted for spending a little money on packs of stickers!!

;)

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 23 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by jph172 on 23 July 2005Ok, i know alot of people believe in keeping it standard but ive opted for spending a little money on packs of stickers!!

;)

Nothing wrong with a little advertising.
Besides they,ve all contributed to making my car what it is.
(exactly how i like it)! ;)

I had a couple of Nissan 200sxs, they were great cars and I ended up tuning the S14 to around 300bhp before selling it to finance my first pad.

I bought the Clio 172 as my everyday work car, its been an excellent buy. Much cheaper to run and not much slower really than a standard 200sx.