ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network HDD that does USB as well

The Bus and MRT
I need some more storage space and want to have a harddrive I can plug into the 360 or PS3 whilst at the same time be accessible from my PC so I can transfer files to it. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Charlie

A4 Avant
I have a mybook that accepts ethernet and USB. Don't know if you can access both at the same time though. I havne't tried.

Got the 1gb version for £130 from PC world a while back.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You cant, both systems will maintain a copy of the FAT table and mass storage devices work by reading/writing sectors, hence if 2 devices had access then your FAT would get screwed when one changes it under the nose of the other.

The Bus and MRT
You cant, both systems will maintain a copy of the FAT table and mass storage devices work by reading/writing sectors, hence if 2 devices had access then your FAT would get screwed when one changes it under the nose of the other.

I'm no hardware expert but I'm sure it would be possible, the device would have to act like a PC, with the File table accessible by both systems and the reading and writing of sectors being handled by a processor.

It's a shame that it's not possible to just have a USB drive plugged into the 360 and then be accessible as a network share from a PC. Guess I'll just have to buy one that does both and swap the cables when I need to.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm no hardware expert but I'm sure it would be possible, the device would have to act like a PC, with the File table accessible by both systems and the reading and writing of sectors being handled by a processor.

It's a shame that it's not possible to just have a USB drive plugged into the 360 and then be accessible as a network share from a PC. Guess I'll just have to buy one that does both and swap the cables when I need to.

Which means that it wouldn't be a mass storage device, it would require proprietry drivers which means that it wouldn't work on PS3 or 360, thus defeating the whole purpose of the mass storage class.

Mass storage devices provide low level SCSI commands for reading/writing sectors and handling the IOCTL commands for figuring out drive geometry and such like.

It's the same reason that on iPods (or any other mp3 device) that support mass storage, that the user is locked out from using the device while USB is connected.

DCi
I saw this thread and didnt think it would be possible but I didnt post incase someone smart knew it was!

One potential option though, if you are confident with this, that is.

You buy a massive HDD (I.e. that 1TB mention) and stick it in your PC
Format your current HDD and stick it in your Playstation for extra space
Setup your PC as a media centre to stream media to the PS3 thus not taking up any HDD space on the PS3

bit like effort that though haha

The Bus and MRT
Which means that it wouldn't be a mass storage device, it would require proprietry drivers which means that it wouldn't work on PS3 or 360, thus defeating the whole purpose of the mass storage class.

Mass storage devices provide low level SCSI commands for reading/writing sectors and handling the IOCTL commands for figuring out drive geometry and such like.

It's the same reason that on iPods (or any other mp3 device) that support mass storage, that the user is locked out from using the device while USB is connected.

Good explanation cheers

I saw this thread and didnt think it would be possible but I didnt post incase someone smart knew it was!

One potential option though, if you are confident with this, that is.

You buy a massive HDD (I.e. that 1TB mention) and stick it in your PC
Format your current HDD and stick it in your Playstation for extra space
Setup your PC as a media centre to stream media to the PS3 thus not taking up any HDD space on the PS3

bit like effort that though haha

My PC is already setup as a Media Centre with Vista Ultimate but it always hung during video streaming (this was back in the day when I had to use transcode 360 to convert files on the fly to work with the 360). So when MS brought out the update that made it was possible to play divx files directly on a USB I started doing that. I tried going back to the Media centre the other day when I was thinking about perchasing a new external HDD and it wont even load the main menu. I reckon it's because the PC's connected via wireless, even though it's a Rangemax N series and says it's connected at 160Mb + all the time its still not as reliable as a wiredconnection :dapprove: