ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Brake Pads Needed plus Discs?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Alrite Guys :)

Quick question and before anyone says do a search I have so there ;)

I have just started to experience a screeching sound when I brake at very low speed and it put the sh!t$ up the Mrs! MOT advisories mentioned front brakes are very low so I'm putting it down to them.

Do I have to replace the Discs as well as the Pads? Oh and anyone fancy fitting them for me! I'm in Manchester and would be willing to pay a little for the pleasure! I really don't trust myself with brakes:eek:

Anyway...

I came across this link by Matt e for both which seems decent value to me seeing as it's for road use and no tracks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230929373...27909&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=489907650323&afsrc=1

Any good or should I PM g172 and maybe get some Brembo's?

​Cheers.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
For the cost involved i would. If the pads are down to metal then theres a fairly high chance its fucked the discs aswell...

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
For the cost involved i would. If the pads are down to metal then theres a fairly high chance its f**ked the discs aswell...

Cheers for that Dan, will invest in Discs too seeing as it sounds like a bag of spanners

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
I think I've decided on the brakes now but would a local Garage fit them if I supply them? I'll be going for new front Pads and Discs, what should I be looking to pay for fitting?

Cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What did you end up getting? Get Birchdown off here to look after you. Worth the drive if you don't know anyone local

WRX
I think I've decided on the brakes now but would a local Garage fit them if I supply them? I'll be going for new front Pads and Discs, what should I be looking to pay for fitting?

Cheers
I'd ask them to quote you on them before you buy them. If they quote you more then tell them the price you can get them for.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
What did you end up getting? Get Birchdown off here to look after you. Worth the drive if you don't know anyone local

Think I'll be going with George and Brembo discs although I was tempted by the ones on Ebay.

I'd ask them to quote you on them before you buy them. If they quote you more then tell them the price you can get them for.

I've been quoted £40 to fit that good?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
That's about the going rate tbh. Maybe a local member could do them for you if asked nicely :)

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
That's about the going rate tbh. Maybe a local member could do them for you if asked nicely :)

Ok then here goes!

Please please please could anyone in the Manchester/Cheshire area fit my brakes I shall provide tea and biscuits of your choice plus costs as long as it's under £40!! :D

I could come to yours if that helps any.

PM if any helpful chaps are out there willing to help us out!

Thanks.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Just had a free brake check and I need rear Discs and Pads too! Not good!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I need rear discs on the Trophy, how hard can it be? Tempted to get a manual and have a crack at it..

FF Clio 182
I need rear discs on the Trophy, how hard can it be? Tempted to get a manual and have a crack at it..

Undo the centre 30mm nut whilst car is on the floor.
Jack car up and remove wheel.
Undo 2 bolts holding calliper to hub. May have to remove the locating screw on the disc. I say maybe as they are not always put back on.
Slide off old disc (DO NOT LOSE THE SPACER ON THE BACK. Has a tendency to get stuck to the disc and people throw it away.
Put spacer back on then slide disc on.
Follow initial steps but in reverse.

Pads don't really need explaining so simple to do just make sure they move smoothly within the calliper.

Garage by me charges £40 for it. When it is about a 20 minute job and is so simple.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
The bloke said the rear Discs need to be a min of 7mm and he measured mine at 6.35 so he said new discs needed although they looked ok conpared to fronts - they were marked up.

FF Clio 182
If I change pads or disc' I do both together. £130 for a set of rear pads and Disc's for a 172/182 and because they don't do much they last a long time

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Pm george to get the discs, they are dearer as they have the abs ring in them, sorry fail on my part ref the cost. Pads, just get cheap ones. Are you sure they need doing as you know what garages are like :(

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Pm george to get the discs, they are dearer as they have the abs ring in them, sorry fail on my part ref the cost. Pads, just get cheap ones. Are you sure they need doing as you know what garages are like :(

I know for sure the fronts need doing both the Discs and Pads that is obvious to me but as for the Rear Disc I'm just going off the Ats Mechanic they need to be a minimum of 7.0 mm and mine are 6.35 he said - he did show us the digital read out so he was telling the truth!

I am tempted the leave the Rear Discs and just get new Pads all round plus front Discs.

Can anyone tell us if 6.35mm on the rear is replacement time?

​Cheers all.

WRX
Bit of a grey area, the discs "should" have a minimum of 7mm but if they are still working as they should, then they would probably still pass an MOT. All down to the tester really, you would probably just get an advisory. I would probably get them changed but not at that price!!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Bit of a grey area, the discs "should" have a minimum of 7mm but if they are still working as they should, then they would probably still pass an MOT. All down to the tester really, you would probably just get an advisory. I would probably get them changed but not at that price!!

It passed the MOT a few months back and all that showed up was front pads were low - no mention about discs at all.

I think he was having a laugh with that quote tbh!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Defo getting myself some tools.. maybe a mobile ramp too.. cant be clambering under cars at my age lol

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Thought I'd update this a bit.

I've had the front disc and pads fitted and pleased to say the grinding noise has gone :approve: however he couldn't do the rear pads due to not having the special adaptor for it, something to do with the caliper I think he said so that's getting done another time.

He noticed some play in the drivers side wheel though - I had a go and you could physically move/wiggle it side to side slightly but thats another thread!