ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car paint protection

Nissan 350z
Sorry if this has been asked lots before, i did a quick search and didnt really find any deffinate answers.

Basically i want to protect my new 200's paint work to help with cleaning and hopefully scratches/chips if at all possible. I've got Autoglym Extra Gloss and then was thinking about a couple of coats of wax over the top. Whats the opinion on this or is there another product i should be using in an ideal situation?

I dont mind buying better products if it means i will get results that will hopefully last a couple of months.

Cheers in advance.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Polish/wax wont stop your car getting chips.

I'd go for srp, blitz sealant & collinite wax (two or three coats)

I put colli insulator wax under colli 915 & its great!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pay someone to do it. Protection details aren't expensive.

Like f**k I would use srp on my brand new car!

Nissan 350z
Thats the plan Gally but i offered to provide the products as i dont mind spending the money if it means i have potentially better results. Im just trying to get an idea for what the general concensus is for the best products to use for a new car protection.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's a tricky one mate.

I would pay someone to protect it first off. Get rid of all the delaer s**te they put on it by giving it a good detail.

Then even get them to write a list of stuff you need to keep it tip top.

MITT
BUCKETS
SHAMPOO
DRYING TOWELS
DRYING AID
CLAY (NOT REQ IN YOUR CASE YET)
CLAY LUBE (")
WHEEL CLEANER
WHEEL BRUSHES
APC BRUSHES
TYRE GEL
TRIM GEL
PRE-WAX CLEANSER
GLAZES (POSSIBLY)
A GOOD WAX/SEALENT IS A MUST

Know what I mean? That list is endless mate, people never stop when they start buying detailing products.

I can't tell you to just go buy a wax or a sealent even though that'll protect your car. The ground work (prep) is the important part.

Nissan 350z
Yeah i understand where your coming from, i am afterall a total noob to this as my knowledge doesnt really extend past the 2 bucket method, a wash mit and a drying towel. Ive since ordered a Karcher and Snowfoam to help and getting my car protected while its new is the next step.

But i acknowledge my noob'ness which is why im going to pay someone to basically give my car a bit of protection. I'll buy the products, ask them to apply them and i'll keep the remainder for future use so id prefer to get it right. Any recommendations on what to use would be welcomed and i'll place an order on i4detaling :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah please tell the dealership not to touch it.

It's all down to personal preference about products and the detailer will need the right products to work with.

Tell you what to do. Go see the proffesional in question get a quote and get him to tell you what he needs for the protection.

Honestly it really will be better in the long run, these guys are pros and i'm sure they will help you out a lot.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I detail quiet a few cars in my spare time, but if i'd bought a brand spanker i'd be taking it to a pro lol.

Just read it's already been delivered. In that case, get in touch with a local detailer (pro, not Bill has a Buffer) and get it protected for Winter. You will not need anything more than that for now.

At a later date, i.e. pre summer, you can get it detailed properly and corrected.

The detailer, if they have anything about them and actually want to have customers, should teach you how to wash your car properly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think you can see the all round agreement.

Hopefully you take heed of our advice. :)

Nissan 350z
Yeah basically it appears the concensus is:

- Dont let the dealer wash your car
- Dont ask what products to use thats the detailers issue

Unsure how im supposed to ever learn about this if im basically being told its not my concern but thats another issue, right now i just want my car protecting.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
2nd part not so much but if I was a panel beater I wouldn't get you to buy my tools to fix your car.

Nissan 350z
Not really like that Gally. I wanted to buy the products so i could see them being applied and learn the best technique and that way i would have the same products myself to try at a later date :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I totally understand that's why i'm saying to go and speak to him.

He may treat the detail as a training type class where you use your own products ect... but at the end of the day he knows what products are best for your needs.

Other repsonse. Google fk1000p buy a tin. Fire it on the car it'll last longer than the car will.

Fuse blown/

Bumder With A Buffer
Christ someone has the painters in. ;)

If this were me id be inclined to use the FK1000p (look what I got today!)

02500d55.jpg

Sagarakis are you saying you want to buy some products yourself and apply them to help protect it over winter??

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Nothing wrong with srp & like f*ck would i be putting on some better stuff this time of year!

Like said, protection for now, then come spring break out the good stuuf.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
By better stuff you mean more expensive?

Better stuff = better protection.

Perfect time of year to checkout sheeting and beading lols!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sorry if I've missed something here but why not just take it to a pro, see what they use and how they use it, then go out and buy them products?

Then you will know which products the professionals use and also how to use them!

I don't get what the issue is from either side...

Sargara wants to protect the car. He's had suggestions on what to use. If he wants to be shown how to use the products, he speaks to a detailer who comes over and shows him.

Have I missed something?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah he seems to want to buy all the products and give them to the detailer.

Oh but he doesn't know what the products are.

Nissan 350z
It doesnt matter this whole thing seems to have got over complicated by the fact its a new car? It was just a simple request of:
"I want to protect my paintwork, what products do you recommend for this?"

But for some reason turned into a "dont let the dealer wash you car" / "dont attempt it, pay a pro detailer". Im all for paying someone as that way i will get a proper job done but i would have liked to have known what sort of products i will require but it appears to be some kind of trade secret? MagpieV6 is the only person so far to answer my question so thanks for that!

I just figured i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak by having the products and seeing them applied rather than having them applied and asking afterwards what products were used??

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you realise how many products are out there?

Is such a vague question though.

Nissan 350z
How does that matter? There are lots of cars out there but that never stops people asking "which car for £5k" for example. How is that different to me asking what products are highly recommended and i should purchase for protecting my new cars paintwork?

Bumder With A Buffer
It doesnt matter this whole thing seems to have got over complicated by the fact its a new car? It was just a simple request of:

But for some reason turned into a "dont let the dealer wash you car" / "dont attempt it, pay a pro detailer". Im all for paying someone as that way i will get a proper job done but i would have liked to have know what sort of products i will require but it appears to be some kind of trade secret? MagpieV6 is the only person so far to answer my question so thanks for that!

Thats exactly what I thought.

Anyhow if you wanted to purchase some products from I4detailing it go with..

Shampoo

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Duragloss_901_Car_Wash_Concentrate_1.html

or

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/britemax_clean_max_1.html

WAX

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Collinite_Super_Doublecoat_Auto_Wax_1.html

Then from CYC some Blitz Spray sealent (goes on before Collie 476)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-blitz-spray-sealant/prod_227.html

Obviously theres things like applicator pads need etc but there is some products Ive used.

That would proctect it over the winter until summer time when you could look into paint correction if you felt it needed it.

Thats all IMO of course.

***Awaits toby with Zaino, Zaino , Zaino and multiple pics of bodywork ;) :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Then you went on to say you want to give the products to a detailer to do it for you and then you'll keep it topped up ect...

I urge you to book a quote from a detailer and explain your situation. What products would be best.

Wash it, dry it, slap some srp on it, take it off, slap some fk1000 on it, remove it.

Job done.

Sorry if this has been asked lots before, i did a quick search and didnt really find any deffinate answers.

Basically i want to protect my new 200's paint work to help with cleaning and hopefully scratches/chips if at all possible.

OK, well first off, right or wrong, most in this thread, myself included, have taken this as you're buying a new car and wanting to know how to protect it. This is why people, again myself included, have suggested not letting the dealer wash it...

The next point is; Gally has a valid point. There are hundreds and thousands of products out there. So his response of your question being vague is bang on. This is not meant in an offensive way, it is meant in a "tell us more so we can offer suggestions" manner.

But for some reason turned into a "dont let the dealer wash you car" / "dont attempt it, pay a pro detailer". Im all for paying someone as that way i will get a proper job done but i would have liked to have known what sort of products i will require but it appears to be some kind of trade secret? MagpieV6 is the only person so far to answer my question so thanks for that!

I just figured i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak by having the products and seeing them applied rather than having them applied and asking afterwards what products were used??

So we get back on topic;

Winter is approaching. People are therefore looking for long term, good quality protection. If you want to protect the car from salt, grit and the winter weather, use Carlack vs 476 system;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/complete-detailing-kits/collinite-476s-carlack-kit/prod_408.html

This will be perfect. You know how to apply a sealent (and if you don't, either ask, read the back or search for threads on here). That should be the end of it.

As for a detailer getting involved, let's just keep it simple. Get a detailer in when you need to get the car back to pristine condition, not to show you how to use a product.

Again, the above is a helpful post and is not to be taken as me "getting at you". Written word can come over in all sorts of ways.

Nissan 350z
No problem, its nice to get some answers finally i didnt mean to complicate things i was just trying to provide all the facts. Richy22 that is perfect thank you!

Fiat Coupe 16V Turbo
@Sargara-> It's not as hard as everybody is saying to detail your own car! Just go on detailingworld an check the "how-to" sections to read how to detail your car. There are a lot of products but its not all that hard. To start out get:

1. A quality washmitt
2. A cheaper washmitt for around the wheel arches and lower bumpers etc.
3. A shampoo (dodo juice born to be mild for example)
4. A drying towel
5. A cleaner that cleans your paint and removes old wax (Carlack or Dodo Lime Prime Lite).
6. A wax: to go for durability go for the Collinite 476S: stays on for over 9 months when applied well.
7. Some wax pad applicators and a bunch (5-6) microfiber towels (euroW package deals are good).

total investment will be around 100 pounds i think, which will last for years and you might ending up actually having fun while cleaning your car!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm the guy who James has asked to do his car basically.

This is what I was going to do:

Wash and dry, megs shampoo gold stuff.
Then some EGP.
Then 2 coats of Chemical Guys Paste Wax.

Obviously I have a good wash mit, drying towels, applicators etc but thats the basic theory.

PersonallyI thought that would be fine, but I'm open to suggestions?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Look i'm trying to refrain from being derogatory but that's not how I would want my new or old car protected. I know egp is a good product but I don't see the point in putting it on a new car surely it deserves better?

My way of doing things on any new car would be...

Usual wash crap, snow foam and btbm.
Dry
Tape up and give a quick run over with LP or LPL give a good base
Nice wipe down
Then the wax/sealent choice is anyones guess! FK1000P x2 coats for sheer protection?
Wipe down with a decent QD. FK425 or Z6 for a little bling.
Seal the wheels with fk1000.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Talking in riddles to me mate to be honest!
Whats wrong with EGP?!

I no longer have a machine polisher, so just going to be by hand.
Products I listed are just what I've got on the shelf so thats why I mentioned them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Look if he wants to do it by halfs let him.

He said he wants to protect his car. Imo only my opinion I wouldn't use EGP and CG wax.

They aren't bad products I just wouldn't use them on my brand new car.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm not trying to be annoying etc, genuinely interested in why not?
How is it doing it by halves?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just feels half arsed to me to be honest.

I know he's just starting out ect... but if you don't start things right it's going to have a detrimental effect on the cars paintwork.

Ie cost more money in the long run. It's probably glacier white so it'll look mint once clean anyway and you'll never see any swirls no matter what you use.

One question have you ever seen an experienced detailer using egp? Or an experienced amatuer?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Neither of us are Pros (probably pretty obvious!) But my opinion of EGP was something decent for 'the masses' as such.

I honestly don't see how it will cost more money in the long run and be detrimental to the paintwork, I'm not trying to remove defects etc, purely just want to coat the paint with something to seal it. So it beads nicely in the rain, helps make it easier to clean and gives it a bit of a shine!

I haven't seen an experienced detailer use EGP, no, and I know there are better products on the market, but as said it's whats on my shelf and I'm doing it to help James out a bit.

Once again, I'm not trying to come across as a c**t, I'm just completely missing the point you're trying to make!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I feel like i'm coming across as a c**t but i'm not trying to I just want the best for his car that's all. As sad as it sounds.

Egp is in no way a bad product maybe i'm too fussy. You're doing him a massive favour and it'll work just fine along with the wax for the winter.