ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New "Cheap" Big Brake Alternative (Brembo+300mm discs)

Brackets have now arrived( a month late) and its a great bit of cnc work the bracket.

BUT (make note if you are going to purchase some) the rest is a shower of s**t!!!!! There are four m12 set screws to bolt the bracket to the caliper which are a mis mash of lengths!! And to make it worse the underside of the head on the set screw is 45° chamfered so when you try and bolt the assembley to the hub the heads foul the caliper mounting lugs on the hubs.

So its been a big no go on fitting as i need flush fitting set screws to make them fit. Oh and you only get two bracket to hub bolts!! Well i did.

Shall try and get pics later.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Brackets have now arrived( a month late) and its a great bit of cnc work the bracket.

BUT (make note if you are going to purchase some) the rest is a shower of s**t!!!!! There are four m12 set screws to bolt the bracket to the caliper which are a mis mash of lengths!! And to make it worse the underside of the head on the set screw is 45° chamfered so when you try and bolt the assembley to the hub the heads foul the caliper mounting lugs on the hubs.

So its been a big no go on fitting as i need flush fitting set screws to make them fit. Oh and you only get two bracket to hub bolts!! Well i did.

Shall try and get pics later.

Not good at all mate. Have you tried to get in contact with them about this? I know you had trouble getting in touch regarding delivery. Shame really as they're really well priced and could sell well if they did everything properly.

Alright Matt yeah i have made them aware. Tbh with the hassle i had with delivery of the brackets, i will sort it out this end now.:(

Here is a pic of said set screws being different sizes and how much the heads protrude, hence them catching the caliper mounting lugs on the hub.

2013-06-08205707_zpsb1bb2824.jpg

2013-06-08205638_zps36c55da0.jpg

i improvised with a couple of little bolts just so i could mount the caliper to get clearances with different wheels. Note the 300mm discs are not fitted so the ones in the pic look small this was done for clearances between caliper and wheel not driven on .

16" OZ superleggeras ET37 plus 16mm spacer. 8mm clearance

2013-06-08140510_zps02b0319b.jpg

2013-06-08141512_zpsbec4c2ea.jpg

182 non cup wheel ET unknown??? 16mm spacer, 6mm clearance.

2013-06-08140944_zps2ab2b8dc.jpg

2013-06-08141035_zps0b393c9f.jpg

172 16" alloy ET unknown. 16mm spacer, this was very close 4mm clearance max

2013-06-08142208_zps90e949d6.jpg

2013-06-08142148_zpsa1694413.jpg

Hope this helps..

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Good to see they arrived Martin.
I clearly put it in the openings post that you had to alter the calipers so you can fit the 45° bolts though :p:eek:

I put some other hub bolts in aswell -> correct size needs to be 50mm M12 -> Thread pitch 1.25
Did he supply this exact size bolts and is it the correct thread pitch ?

Last edited:
Lol i must stop skim reading. I have some different bolts now but may go ahead and alter the caliper.

They only sent 2 hub bolts instead of 4. yep the thread pitch is fine.

The chamfered bolts for bolting the caliper to bracket are different lengths though:)

Its slowly coming together now lol just got to get 2 more hub bolts.

Mines perfectly fine no abs issues as of yet and i have really stamped on them!! Yep you need pug 406 pads (lots of options available) and renault scenic discs.

I personally would advise getting some custom brakelines knocked up, don't get me wrong the standards work fine but i think they need to be 30mm longer.

Due to when jacking the car up they are nearlly at full stretch. May not bother some but it does me lol.

Seems a decent place/price

http://www.customhoses.co.uk/?gclid=CJeGzNCh7bcCFTMgtAodR2UAHQ

Last edited:
  PH2 Flamer
Just seen a set of these for sale near me on eBay.

Collection only though, am happy to collect if anyone on here wants them etc.

£50 at the moment, no bids 1 day left

(These have nothing to do with me, just a heads up)

Anything important to look out for when getting the 406 calipers?

Suppose to be getting some tomorrow :)

I've two options(afaik) with my Williams with these calipers...

1; Fit 3mm washers to caliper/hub mounting & 15mm/20mm hubcentric spacers(€??).

2; 172 hubs, buy brackets(€95) and might need spacers?(€??)

Are spacers required for 172's with 15" rims?

Don't want to be running spacers really... :(

Thanks,
:)

Yep I know Martin :)

I was planning on using 285mm brakes(or try find 290?)

With "ap racing" brake setup you can get 295mm disc's under 15"!
But they cost a bomb!!

I have it on CAD and could also make loads up but cost won't be much cheaper than motex performance.

Before the question/PM's arrive i am not willing to part with the CAD drawings i only have them for personal use may i need another set.

I got a CAD drawing of the brackets that i paid for. Reason be is for my own use not to publish them.

If you had spent time and effort producing something then the drawings done their rounds on the net and someone started producing them, would you be impressed?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I got a CAD drawing of the brackets that i paid for. Reason be is for my own use not to publish them.

If you had spent time and effort producing something then the drawings done their rounds on the net and someone started producing them, would you be impressed?

+1 back in the day i took the time and effort to have a load of caliper extenders made and anodised for the R5GT Turbo boys.

It gave them the opportunity to go from the OE 238mm disc to the Renault 21TXi 285mm disc setup, at that time K Tec and GT Tuning were the only companies to make them but sell them ONLY as a kit with the discs.

Why would i go to all that trouble having CAD drawings done, then machined only to dish out all my hard work just like that.... No way.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I think my post was taken out of context, I didn't say ya fucker share your design.

Just do you work for that company

Sorry if it sounded any different