ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 172 arrives soon

Hi all,

Ive been lurking on the cliosport.net site for a feww weeks now whilst looking for a brand new car to replace my L plate Corrado VR6 (things are starting to go wrong).

Cars considered were Clio 172, Pug 206GTi, ST170, Corolla T Sport.

The ford was underpowered and way too expensive and options were expensive. I also got stopped by the rozzas on the test drive which wasnt very good! The Corolla was ok, but a bit bland and the Pug just totally aweful. That left the Clio which has every concievable option installed (ESP, Xenon etc) and is similar in performance to the VR6 but less of an oaf.

Was gonna buy an import from a car supermarket but ended up negotiating £13,600 with CD changer thrown in from my local dealer. After accounting for the 3 years AA cover and CD, thats only £300 more than from the supermarket so I thought I got a good deal. Got a better trade in price too.

What potential problems should I look out for when the car arrives? Getting VERY excited now :)

320d M Sport

Well done! Were getting more and more people posting on here that theyve bought new 172s (Renault must be shifting quite a few!). Re. potential problems, i dunno really, just normal kinda stuff-someone will probably post a checklist anyway! How does it compare to the Corrado then?

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 20 April 2003

Well done! Were getting more and more people posting on here that theyve bought new 172s (Renault must be shifting quite a few!). Re. potential problems, i dunno really, just normal kinda stuff-someone will probably post a checklist anyway! How does it compare to the Corrado then?
meant to ask paddy how was the racing going against the three motors in th carpark ? was a corrado , fiat coupe and something else wasnt it ?

320d M Sport

yeah! Corrado i beat quite easy (G60 with Stage 4 Supercharger and full zorst), Fiat Coupe i can only hold off till 90 then he storms past! (Damn it!) Off the line Ill toast him though.

I love the Corrado interior but its weight means it wallows through corners compared to the much lighter clio and it gets through tyres pretty fast. Believe it or not I felt the Corrado was faster in 2nd but the Clio had more torque in 3rd. Can that be right??? Anyway, thats how it felt.

I tested the Cup and standard 172 and much preffered the standard version. The Cup was fun but generated huge amounts of torque steer leaving roundabouts.... way more than even the Corrado. The standard 172 handles things much more subtly maybe due the ESP and felt much more of a road car.

Still 19 days to wait :(

Dont be surprised about the higher gear thing! 4th is possibly my favourite gear in my 172 - seems to pull like a train. Dont ask me why - I just like it best! (obviously not to pull away in though :oops:)

The Corrado can pull off in 3rd and do about 105. Thats a LONG gear. I also like the clio 4th gear. I think the Corrado is usually going too slow for the gear. Eg, accelerating at 80 in 5th is ok but it does really start pulling hard until you hit 105. I found I was usually in a more appropriate gear in the Clio more of the time.

Oh, and did I mention wheelspin? In the Corrado lots of it. No point ever nailing it in 1st... more coax it up to speed, hit 2nd and then floor it. Not good, and the Clio is much much better.

That is a very long gear!! I think my 172 only gets to 80 something in 3rd - never really looked properly! I drive mine in 4th a lot of the time......theres oodles of torque from across the rev range, and you can drop a gear if need be.

Are you planning to run it in as per the Renault guidelines? Youll find a big difference in opinion on here as to whether you should. A common belief is that you should take it easy for the first couple of hundred and then go for it.

If Renault say run it in for 600 miles then Ill do it. Im not in a hurry to go fast and if I can cope with keeping my bike under 5,000rpm for 1,000 miles (it red lines at 14,000) Im sure I can cope with a few easy car miles. Unless of couse people reckon the Clio goes better if not run in?

Well thats just it........there is a theory Ive heard on here that the "better" ones are the ones given a harder time from new - reflected in higher bhp output. My one was run in by the book and I dont have a flier, although cant say for sure as its never been rolling roaded - just my impression of it.

Perhaps some others who have figures may be able to give some better advice!

Does anyone get irritated that the clio does 100kmph (62mph) which is highway crusing, at 3000rpm?? most of the cars ive driven do it at about 2500rpm which is alot quieter....

ahhhhhh!! thats what that bloody noise is at 3750-4000 rpm ,,my cat,it sounds like its coming from under the front passenger seat,so ive been getting my missus to drive down M1 at 85 with me in the back with my head under the passenger seat!!!trying to find it bloody annoying.anything u can do for it (apart from cat-bypass hehe!)

apart from that the car is ace mines a mk1 but not much diff,very fast,rides pretty well,quite when cruising but sounds good when floored,and i cannot get the mpg less than 35 on average to work back roads traffic james etc it does between 38-40 mpg Brilliant,oh it doesnt like cheapo ASDA petrol lumpy idle but runs just fine,OPTIMAX mmmmmm!