ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 182 Owner in Coventry/Warks

182 Trophy, Williams
Hello all, last week I purchased a Renault Sport Clio 182 and although I've had lots of cars over the years, this is my first venture into small french hatchback territory and it normally pays to be on a forum with lots of knowledgable owners and experts so here I am! The car will be maintained by a very good local independent garage, and by myself for the more simple bits!

My daily drive was a Brabus tuned W211 E-Class until last month when a piston cracked, the rebuild will take a while so I decided to look for a car for about 2K to get around in until it's finished. Anyway, the trusted local mechanic who's rebuilding it recommended the Clio 172/182 as he tracks one and loves it. He also drives a track prepared BMW E30 M3 and a 997 C2s, so I trusted his judgement and went out with 2K to find a Clio!

Very glad I did. I've driven everything over the years, owned lots of very powerful high end RWD stuff, the minute I test drove the 182 it reminded me of everything that I love about driving. Proper gearbox, proper direct steering, stiff light chassis, bags of grip...etc...

Anyway, long story short it's no longer a glorified courtesy car, I'm going to keep it, probably for ever. Of all the things I've driven, (and you can see on my bio that's quite a lot of really quite special cars), the 182 is my favourite. I'm sure loads of you feel the same. So the plan is to tidy it up over the next year, but not to modify it substantially. I like the stock look, the power seems about right for the chassis, might look to improve the braking a little bit, but will mostly look to repair any bits that are showing their age.

The car is a 2005 with 85k on the clock. The body is silver and very good, couple of small blemishes which I'll be trying to sort out, the engine feels brilliantly strong as does the gearbox. Headlights are faded, as they all seem to be, steering wheel grips are a tiny bit worn, and the front left wheel arch liner needs replacing, air con needed re-gassing, done that, front fog light has a small crack in it too, mostly easy jobs! I'm a sucker for a tidy engine bay, so at some point I'll set about monumentally transforming that into something nice to look at, but for now, I'm just getting to know the car, getting my head around the mind bending handling, and remembering why I love driving!

Will probably be picking peoples brains in the very near future as I start on the odd jobs!

Thanks! Tom.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Welcome tom,like you i had a lot of big fast cars but since buying my 182 a couple of years ago i have no desire to change, it still puts a smile on my face every time i go for a drive

182 Trophy, Williams
Thanks guys! I've never felt so instantly attached to a car! You know when you get something and just know, this one's for keeps.

182 Trophy, Williams
Had to go back and find this original post form 2013, the week I purchased my first 182. Four years later I no longer have the silver one, but I just got my hands on Trophy No:104 - ClioSports still firmly my favourite car to drive, despite the electronics being made out of cheese.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Had to go back and find this original post form 2013, the week I purchased my first 182. Four years later I no longer have the silver one, but I just got my hands on Trophy No:104 - ClioSports still firmly my favourite car to drive, despite the electronics being made out of cheese.

Check out the trophy Weekender @Tim. Organises.

Also CSF is this weekend, so there'll be a load of us heading up there to get some track time and have a catch up with mates.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy, Williams
Hi Tim, hi JP, trying to get it ready to drive at Donington over the bank holiday but if it's ready in time I might pop up to Blyton too just for a look. Already registered on the trophy forum, been busy harvesting knowledge about brake combo's for track use ;)