ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new clio 200 vs astra VXR

clio rs
Im starting this tread as members on here and the VXR forum will be disputing on this subject for years to come. So ill be the 1st to start it off.

We all know how great the astra VXR and will be the car the replaces my 172 cup in afew years. Id prefre staying with Renault and this great Forum. Was wait for the arrival of this new Clio hoping it will convince me and chance my mind.

So just like to ask members on here, how does the clio 200 compare to the astra vrx in all aspects, looks, image, preformance, handling, fun factor, and extras.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The Megane R26 is more matched to the Astra VXR

The 200 is aimed at the market that is potentially trying to steal customers away from buying the Corsa VXR

Clio 182.
Im starting this tread as members on here and the VXR forum will be disputing on this subject for years to come. So ill be the 1st to start it off.

We all know how great the astra VXR and will be the car the replaces my 172 cup in afew years. Id prefre staying with Renault and this great Forum. Was wait for the arrival of this new Clio hoping it will convince me and chance my mind.

So just like to ask members on here, how does the clio 200 compare to the astra vrx in all aspects, looks, image, preformance, handling, fun factor, and extras.

Id suggest, when starting threads. They make sense. Grammar and Spelling FAIL.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Not a good comparison as they are completely different cars really.

Would take the VXR over the 200 though.

I imagine the 200 will run rings around the Astra on a track. Other than that, it's just down to what you prefer overall. As said though, the Clio is a B-car (Fiesta, Corsa) and the Astra is a C-car (Megane, Focus).

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
VXRs are chav wagons. Both the Astra and Corsa look like they've been subjected to a game of 'Pin the wallet on the Ripspeed catalogue'.

I had a mooch around an Astra VXR a couple of years back when I was buying my Cup and the one thing that stood out in the interior, and this may sound trivial, was the hideous gearknob. It looked like Kryten's head! The wheels are gash and the bodykit is ugly.

Compare that to the 08 plate red 225/R26/R30/Whatever I was looking at yesterday, which was a lovely piece of kit. Had I had 13k on me, I'd have bought it.

The way I see it, Renault have been building sh1t-hot hot hatches since the year dot. Vauxhall have yet to top the Astra GTE. They enlisted the help of Lotus for the last Corsa and it was still a bag of nails compared to anything Renault made. I'd rather have a tasty, subtle Renault on my drive than a look-at-me-I'm-dead-hard VXR.

Clio 182.
VXRs are chav wagons. Both the Astra and Corsa look like they've been subjected to a game of 'Pin the wallet on the Ripspeed catalogue'.

I had a mooch around an Astra VXR a couple of years back when I was buying my Cup and the one thing that stood out in the interior, and this may sound trivial, was the hideous gearknob. It looked like Kryten's head! The wheels are gash and the bodykit is ugly.

Compare that to the 08 plate red 225/R26/R30/Whatever I was looking at yesterday, which was a lovely piece of kit. Had I had 13k on me, I'd have bought it.

The way I see it, Renault have been building sh1t-hot hot hatches since the year dot. Vauxhall have yet to top the Astra GTE. They enlisted the help of Lotus for the last Corsa and it was still a bag of nails compared to anything Renault made. I'd rather have a tasty, subtle Renault on my drive than a look-at-me-I'm-dead-hard VXR.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Perfect summary.

Also i have noticed loads of old women driving VXRs round here.

clio 172 cup
i sometimes go on vxronline forum and alot of ppl start threads about the bad handling and bad body roll on the vxrs which u never see on a cliosport thread.
i like the looks of the vxr and torque but i also like the looks and the handling of the clio and megane, basically if your going down the route of tuning buy the vxr if ya keeping standard buy the renault

Tav

Clio 197
^^^ Nope, one is a good hot hatch, the other is a great hot hatch. As some switched on people have stated the Astra and Clio are different categories of car aimed at different buyers and pitched at different price points.

I'd rather have a Golf GTi, FD2 Civic Type R import, Megane R26/R26.R or Focus RS (old or new) than the Astra.

The Vauxhals are good but lack the detail and polish to make them truely great.

...and as Roy Munson states the Clio's do roll...but so does every road car and for a reason, it's how it controls the roll that makes it good.

Barge
TBH, I'd rather have a Clio 200 over an Astra or Corsa VXR. Test drove the Corsa VXR and my R27 pwns it. But as others have said, the Astra isn't a direct competitor of the Clio 200 or any other Clio.

not that easy writing a tread on a little mobile phone screen - :dapprove:

wouldnt worry about it, it was perfectly clear what you were saying anyway

as said both in different classes, but i would take the VXR

although with vauxhall i sometimes prefer the look of their standard cars rather than the VXR's

The Megane R26 is more matched to the Astra VXR

The 200 is aimed at the market that is potentially trying to steal customers away from buying the Corsa VXR

+1, there's no point in comparing unless you already have one of them and are weighing up the pros and cons of buying the other. The 200 is not aimed as a rival for the Astra, the Megane is.

MCS R56

I don't think we will all agree with your statement. It's not a car that will be remembered, like the Williams or R26.R etc, and the Cup, of course, and I personally don't think it compares with the Clio - more so the Megane, Golf and Civic.

I guess we will have to wait for more tests and people buying the 200 before comparisons can be made. I'm pretty sure it will out handle the Astra and be as much fun, if not more. Looks are completely down to the individual. Performance will be similar, I expect.

I'm not sure why you are so certain you are going to buy one after the Cup. Dull by comparison.

TTRS & V50
Prefer a astra vxr for cuising/long journeys/day to day factor. But fun factor the RS kills it.

My good mate has one and i can see him in my rear view mirror strugling round round abouts while im sticking to it no trouble. But then when the straight comes, he edges it.

Corsa vxr, i disslike full stop, have anything over that.

But these threads are shite on forums like this, because people are narrow minded that RS is the best car on earth, when clearly its a long way from that. But fun factor, yes they are great.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Prefer a astra vxr for cuising/long journeys/day to day factor. But fun factor the RS kills it.

My good mate has one and i can see him in my rear view mirror strugling round round abouts while im sticking to it no trouble. But then when the straight comes, he edges it.

Corsa vxr, i disslike full stop, have anything over that.

But these threads are s**te on forums like this, because people are narrow minded that RS is the best car on earth, when clearly its a long way from that. But fun factor, yes they are great.

No one mentioned the RS being better before you did....:rolleyes:

No ones slating it or saying it isnt good, people are just stating opinions and preference!

I would go so far as to say that IMO if you're after a car that is extremely effective on track, and is also refined enough to be an everyday drive, then you're likely to choose the Clio. I wouldn't choose the Astra as something to use regularly on track.

However, since I've not tracked a 197/200 nor the Astra, I am only guessing. An informed guess, shall we say. I've tracked my 182, and based on how it performs against some other similar 'faster' cars, I don't think the VXR would stay with my bean, let alone a 200.

In other words, if you intend to do lots of track work, Clio 200. If you're not, then either car is a fair choice.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Astra VXR > Corsa VXR > Clio 197 > Megane 250 > Clio 200 > Megane 225

I'm sure no one will agree! :star: thing is I would have the Megane 250 possibly all the way up in first place, but... just can't get on with that front bumper :dead: maybe it will win me over in the flesh.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
id take the astra over the 200 and the megane. and i would take the corsa artic over the 197.

Shed.
I imagine the 200 will run rings around the Astra on a track. Other than that, it's just down to what you prefer overall. As said though, the Clio is a B-car (Fiesta, Corsa) and the Astra is a C-car (Megane, Focus).

Agreed, i think the astra would be a little better in a straight line however ive not driven one.

I would say the astra looks like something thats come from the bottom of a cerial box, cheap, plastic looking and very chavvy. Im a hater of Vauxall though. So i would never buy one (bar the Artic Corsa VXR) but that is my worthless opinion.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Whoever said that the VXR will be replacing the clio cup in years to come is off their f**king trolley.

The VXR is big, heavy, handles like a barge and cannot handle the power its got.

Its good for straight line sprints only, show it a corner and its fucked.

Shed.
Whoever said that the VXR will be replacing the clio cup in years to come is off their f**king trolley.

The VXR is big, heavy, handles like a barge and cannot handle the power its got.

Its good for straight line sprints only, show it a corner and its f**ked.

You have just painted a red cross accross your head.

Seriously though, i havent driven one so i dont know how bad they are. Like i said though, cheap, nasty tacky shite.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
You have just painted a red cross accross your head.

Seriously though, i havent driven one so i dont know how bad they are. Like i said though, cheap, nasty tacky s**te.
Compared to a clio? I don't think so. A much better built car, with better build quality.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Said it before and I stand by it. The Astra VXR is the worst performance car I've ever driven, by some distance. Woeful, in no particular order
-Power delivery
-Traction
-Gearshift
-Interior
-Steering
Just an awful car.

not much cop, i ilke the corsa but would not want to own one, the astra is by far the worse of that size hot hatch, meg or golf ed 30 if you want more room, although the golf needs v3s and a map to be a good hot hatch, why would you not get an r26!!!!!