ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New cup packed dampers.......make a difference?

ph1 172
Evening,
Come xmas time I have 3 weeks off so going to treat my clio:approve:

Going to put Eibach Sportline springs on as well as polybushing the front end and whiteline ARB on the rear.

Now my query is, if I put 4 brand new genuine cup packed dampers on with the sportlines and other bits, will they deliver better damping performance and work with the rest of the suspension better than the 7 year old original dampers?

May I also point out that the original dampers are in perfect working order and do not leak oil etc. How much has 7 years taken its toll on my suspension, noticeable?

TIA

Renaultsport Clio 182
i've run mine (non cup packed 182) on sportlines for a few yrs now using the standard shocks. my offside rear shock has gone and needs replacing so i'm gonna do both rears at the same time. fronts are still fine though.

question for you - if your getting sportlines & 4 new standard dampers wouldn't it just be easier, better & probably cheaper to get coilies? K-Tec are selling the raceland kit for a little over 200 sheets at the minute...

i have no experience with raceland collies but i wouldn't put them on my car,i have a feeling they will be just like apex springs(neck breakers)

ph1 172
Don't want coilovers for many reasons. Mainly Sportlines and new standard dampers will ride and handle far better than £200 coilovers

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
New dampers would make a noticeable difference. When I changed to coilovers on my 172 I had a shock that was worn out but didn't have any sign of a leak.

Megane 225 F1
I put new ones on my rear and it made a difference. My rears weren't leaking but it felt much better. Just need to do the fronts now.

ph1 172
I am not sure if Spax do some uprated dampers to suit the 60mm bolt spacing? Ask Danny at 519

On the other hand, thanks chaps:) I will slap 4 new'uns on

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
When i got my 55k 172 cup i changed all the springs and dampers for new genuine parts along with all the bushes, the difference was just unbelievable, The items i replaced didn't show any signs of damage but the car just didn't feel that stable at higher cornering speeds.

I have no experience with budget coilovers but can't imagine them to be an improvement over genuine items.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I'm also thinking about cup dampers for my ph1, ive heard there shorter than ph1 dampers, is that true?

RB 182 Cup
When i got my 55k 172 cup i changed all the springs and dampers for new genuine parts along with all the bushes, the difference was just unbelievable, The items i replaced didn't show any signs of damage but the car just didn't feel that stable at higher cornering speeds.

I have no experience with budget coilovers but can't imagine them to be an improvement over genuine items.

I agree, I doubt cheap coilovers will be anywhere near as good as the standard Cup suspension. Renault spent millions (a lot anyway) making the Cup handle well. Slamming it close to the ground and firming it up will, in all probability, make it skittish and lose traction on day to day roads.

I often follow ridiculously lowered cars on the road, only to see the bounce off small undulations in the road, cause momentary loss of contact with the road. If this were to happen on a corner, that could be all you need to cause a spin or unstoppable slide.

Track use may well be a different matter, but I still doubt it would beat Renaults offering.

Granted a lowered car looks great, but I prefer to drive mine than stand / sit outside it and look at it.

Old bloke rant over, sorry!

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I've got bilsteins b14 on mine now and yes it does look better for being a little lower but driving it on the road i much prefer the standard setup, and the B14's are meant to be a good coilover for road use!!

ph1 172
Great, thanks chaps

Looks like I will be going for a fully polybushed front end, Whiteline rear ARB, new sportlines, new cup packed dampers and AST solid top mounts

Hopefully that will make a nice difference:)

ph1 172
1. A 7 year old, 50k miles etc etc damper, got to be worn in some way shape or form
2. Brand new, tight and better in every single way damper;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I've got bilsteins b14 on mine now and yes it does look better for being a little lower but driving it on the road i much prefer the standard setup, and the B14's are meant to be a good coilover for road use!!

Are the Bilsteins not awesome? They is tested fully on the Nurburgring.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Don't forget 182 Cup frot shocks have different spacing on the hub iirc. Does anyone know if this applies to the 172 Cup as well?

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Don't forget 182 Cup frot shocks have different spacing on the hub iirc. Does anyone know if this applies to the 172 Cup as well?

No 172 cup shocks are the same as all others, it's just the 182 cup that has different spacing.

Turbo LY R27
Great, thanks chaps

Looks like I will be going for a fully polybushed front end, Whiteline rear ARB, new sportlines, new cup packed dampers and AST solid top mounts

Hopefully that will make a nice difference:)

I have just put a similar set up on my 182. Got prolines (fantastic spring), rear ABR and 1 degree camber bolts at the front. It feels amazing!!! Doesnt compromise the handling at all, still soaks up bumps etc at high speed and no loss of traction, it still feels like standard just a lot tighter, less roll and inspires more confidence. Best road set up imo.