ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Flickr

Thoughts?

The new pricing structure is confusing as hell for existing Pro users, as far as I can tell we can keep our Pro accounts for now and retain stats, unlimited storage, no ads etc, or switch to free and lose stats, get 1tb storage and ads, or pay double what we pay now and still lose stats and unlimited storage, but remove ads.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmm.. noticed it changed yesterday.

Only just got the email this morning but not very obvious unless you go digging to find out what's happening.

Not impressed TBH but I guess I'll just go free until the ads become ridiculous.

Pretty sure I was Pro for another 18 months yet - I can switch to a free account before August 20th. Nice.

It's not as easy to use, but I get why they've done it - it's more social.

It reminds me a lot of 500px.

It makes finding new work from your contacts easier too - which is nice.

Pinched from Talk Photography:

What used to be offered with a Pro account?

Flickr Pro is no longer available for purchase, but many of the Pro-only features are now part of free Flickr accounts.

Here is what you used to get with Pro:

Unlimited photo uploads (50MB per photo)
Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
The ability to show HD Video
Unlimited storage
Unlimited bandwidth
Archiving of high-resolution original images
The ability to replace a photo
Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
View count and referrer statistics
Limitation of maximum image size available to others
Ad-free browsing and sharing

What do I now have with a free Flickr account?

Starting on 5/20/2013, members with free accounts on Flickr will have:

1 Terabyte of space
Upload and download in full original quality. Up to 200MB per image
Ability to create “Collections”
Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
Limitation of maximum image size available to others

I’ve heard that Flickr Pro is no longer being offered. How does that affect me?

Starting on 5/20/2013, we will no longer be offering new Flickr Pro subscriptions. After that point, the following things will happen:

Recurring Pro users currently have the ability to renew.
Eligible Pro members have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.
The “Gift of Pro” will no longer be available for purchase.
Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon.

What happens if my Pro Account expires?

If your Pro account expires, don't panic! None of your photos or videos have been deleted!

This means instead of enjoying the super-duper capacity of your Pro account, you're now subject to the limits of a free account. If you upgrade again, all of your photos will be waiting for you.

Any of your sets that disappeared will magically reappear when you renew or upgrade.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I got an email this morning about it but haven't checked it yet.
I did update the app though and that seems a hell of a lot better now.

Will have a look later at the main site.

I hope that's the case, I'm paid up until October I think.

My understanding is that as long as you're a recurring Pro account holder (i.e. on a paid 3/12 or 24 month rolling sub) you will remain on a Pro account until either you stop paying or if they decide to end Pro completely.

Some people get Pro through vouchers or as a company benefit (such as BT Broadband users), those will cease to have Pro accounts when they run out of their current term.

Will be interesting to see how it works with people in your contacts that only upload a few at a time so they constantly appear in your contact feed of latest images. If in the new design they just hog the front page I'm sorry, but I'm removing you!

Turns out I'm on 24 month rolling, think they sacked 12 month off last year so it was 24 month or nothing.

TBH I barely use it, it's just online storage that doesn't destroy image quality for me.

My Pro is up for renewal in 3 weeks. I'll report on any issues.

I'm half tempted to lose it and to see if I can live without it, but I don't want to not be able to go back to Pro.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Will be interesting to see how it works with people in your contacts that only upload a few at a time so they constantly appear in your contact feed of latest images. If in the new design they just hog the front page I'm sorry, but I'm removing you!

From what I can see on my feed, there is one large photo from each of your contact's. If they have uploaded a few at a time, then it shows some smaller images within the large photo area.

I might just let it go to the free version. I can't see £33 per year to go Ad-Free being good value. 1TB is plenty enoug storage for me. The ad's might piss me off though.

And LOL at Doublr! $499 per year! The same at the $49 per year but with 2TB storage!

Free:
  • 1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
  • Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
  • Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
  • Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
  • Upload and download in full original quality
Ad Free:
  • $49.99 per year
  • All the benefits of a free account
  • No ads in your browsing experience
Doublr:
  • $499.99 per year
  • 2 Terabytes of photo and video space
Tom- I don't think anyone will be able to tell if you have the pro account anymore. The Pro tag has gone from people's avatars from what I can see.

Last edited:
  SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Thats annoying!
I bought Pro about 2 weeks ago, as I reached the 200 photo limit :(
Also just found out that with BT I could have got it free anyway!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Is there a date in your account somewhere? In theory it will downgrade to a free account whenever it expires, but as far as I know BT haven't announced anything.

​No dates from what I can see, hopefully I can just stay as I am with my Pro account.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had a response which has completely avoided my initial question and just been a load of stuff that's already on their help page. I've just replied again saying that they've not actually answered my question.

Subject
[Flickr Case 2577911] Re: Paying for account upgrade
Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Lynda)05/21/2013 07:58 AM
Hello Rhys,

Thank you for being a Flickr user. We appreciate you choosing to use Yahoo! and truly hope you continue to use Flickr as you have been.

I want to apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. I assure you that I will do what I can to help resolve your issue.

I understand your concerns regarding the recent updates to Flickr. While we will not be reverting back to the prior version of Flickr, we do want to create a positive experience for all of our Flickr members. If you have any constructive feedback regarding the recent changes, we would love to hear from you on our forums.

Here's what you can get if you choose to have a Free Flickr account:
  • Always free
  • 1 TB of photo and video storage
  • Upload photos of up to 200 MB each
  • Upload videos of up to 1GB each
  • Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
  • Unlimited original downloads of your photos
On the other hand, here are other two kinds of accounts to choose from at Flickr:

Ad free:
  • $49.99 per year
  • No ads in your browsing experience
Doublr:
  • $499.99 per year
  • 2 TB of photo and video storage
For more information about upgrading your account, visit our upgrade page.

Starting on May 20, we will no longer offer new Flickr Pro subscriptions:
  • Recurring Pro members will have the ability to renew.
  • Eligible Pro members will have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.
  • The "Gift of Pro" will no longer be available for purchase.
  • Pro users will no longer appear with a "Pro" badge beside their name or buddy icon.
If you are a current Flickr Pro member and would like to switch to a Free account and receive a refund for your remaining Flickr Pro subscription, you can find details and instructions at the Flickr website.

Please allow four to six weeks for credit card refunds and at least one business week for PayPal refunds.

We hope that you come to enjoy the new Flickr site and participate in making a great community even better.

Additional information on this, and other Yahoo! products, can be found on the Yahoo! help page.

If you have any further concerns regarding this issue Rhys, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Lynda

Yahoo! Customer Care
www.yahoo.com

New from Yahoo!
Don't just check the weather, see it. Introducing the Yahoo! Weather app. The forecast is beautiful. Download for iPhone. Download for Android.
Customer (Rhys Bartley)05/21/2013 04:57 AM

White APE
Just been onto Flickr, is anyone else finding the website really buggy? It keeps stalling when trying to load or coming up with error messages.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I uploaded a load of photos last night and thought it looked a lot different, not received an email yet.

i am pro, but what I don't get is this

Eligible Pro members will have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.

why would a pro member want to do this in August, is it them offering you a refund before that date of your remaining pro subscription if you don't mind the 1tb limit or something? But after that date you can't get a refund?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
And finally the answer...

zezabeha.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well I pay quarterly at $3.94 or something similar and when I went onto the subscription page it was the same so I'm guessing for us rolling pro subscribers we don't have to worry .

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not renewing. Just going to leave it be. I'm paid up until Jan next year, and IIRC there was a bonus 3 month thing they gave us back a while ago ? So march/april next year.

Unless I have to watch a 30 second ad every time I click any link - in which case I'm never going on flickr again - I'll get on with it. They have had enough of my money the last few years.

So I can still retain my pro account by renewing it when it expires?

​On another note I wonder if this is linked to their 3 free months extra at Xmas in anyway?

​Pro retains stats and unlimited storage (and is half the price), otherwise they're now identical.
Excellent, thanks for confirming this.

So I can still retain my pro account by renewing it when it expires?

​On another note I wonder if this is linked to their 3 free months extra at Xmas in anyway?
Yeah, you can. But if you let it expire, I'm not 100% you will be able to get it back. Just turn auto-renew on to be safe.... Well, I would.

I've cancelled Pro, now down to a Free account.
Will miss stats, but not enough to pay $50 a year for them!
Also, it seems if you press 'Edit' on the 'Your Photostream' page, you get the old style photostream instead.
I don't mind the changes, graphics work quite well when they eventually load that is ;)