ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New guy thinking about buying a Clio 172/182

Looking into buying a mk2 172 or 182 and just wanted to know a few things before I did. I wanted to have a look at the sticky that said what the differences are between the various cars but it said I didn't have permission to view.

First of all, which one is faster? I heard that the 172 is faster even though it's got 10 less horsepower. Secondly are all 172s cups? If not what is the difference between a cup and a non cup? Are all 182s trophys?

And lastly, I've heard talks of 190-200hp from a remap, better exhaust and better intake. Is that true?

Thanks for any replies.

1 more. Is it worth putting the stock 197 cams in? How much are these usually? You must be able to find a set off a wrecker or something.

RB 182 195bhp
Like they said, have a search. But in brief.
No, most 172's aren't cups. Normal 172 has half leather, auto wipers and headlights, xenons, climate, a/c and split fold rear seats, cups don't have any of that, along with no abs on traction control and bench rear seat so are lighter, they have better springs, shocks and hubs, and speedline wheels. Most are blue, some are silver.
Standard 182, is the same as standard 172, but they have a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold giving the 10 bhp extra.
Cup packs give grey wheels, bigger spoiler and splitter off the 172 cup and the suspension off the 172 cup but still retains the creature comforts.
182 cup is the same as a 172 cup as far as options delete goes but still has abs, a/c traction control and cruise control and normal 182 wheels.
182 trophy's are based on the 182 cup, but only 500 made, all in red. Sachs shocks and eibach springs on the front suspension, recaro trendline seats in the front, bigger spoiler off the v6 and 172 cup wheels in grey.
172's aren't faster than 182's, people think the difference is probably less than 10 bhp, and due to the lower kerb weight of the 172 cup, there isn't alot between these two. Search for more info

Fiesta ST2 MP215
CUP 172 is the one to get, belt jobs cheaper, looks the best, best wheels, 182 Interior is only £100 tops anyway for a mint one, Cams no don't bother to do that specifically only when having the belts changed do it.

I'm seeing a lot of "cups" on ebay and auto trader with no front splitter. How can you be sure you're not getting a fake? Does it say on the logbook?

Would it be a good idea to get a 172 cup then put on a 182 4-2-1 manifold? Don't 182 have a better exhaust too? They have 2 instead of one.

My budget for one is about £1600 which might not be enough for a 172 cup. Could I buy a standard 172 or 182 and bring it up to cup spec over the coming months? I'm seeing standard 172s at £1100, Standard 182s at £1600 and 172 cups at £1900-2000. I am discounting anything with over 100,000 miles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ode/b169dx/radius/1500/keywords/cup?logcode=p

Here is an example of a "cup" with no special wheels or splitter.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
Probably because the Splitter snapped off, It's french it will happen.

Thats Not a Cup either.

It will need to have the Turinis and CUP Spoiler on the back and NO AC and also No Leather, should have Pov Spec crap cloth stuff.

Post more up and we can confirm, Silver ones are also quite rare.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Are they in my budget?

Honestly mate if your going to buy one just pay the £12, you will have access to so much useful information, be able to see cars for sale which there are a lot of and also buy different parts for your car.

23p a day it works out at to be a full member.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm seeing a lot of "cups" on ebay and auto trader with no front splitter. How can you be sure you're not getting a fake? Does it say on the logbook?

Would it be a good idea to get a 172 cup then put on a 182 4-2-1 manifold? Don't 182 have a better exhaust too? They have 2 instead of one.

My budget for one is about £1600 which might not be enough for a 172 cup. Could I buy a standard 172 or 182 and bring it up to cup spec over the coming months? I'm seeing standard 172s at £1100, Standard 182s at £1600 and 172 cups at £1900-2000. I am discounting anything with over 100,000 miles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ode/b169dx/radius/1500/keywords/cup?logcode=p

Here is an example of a "cup" with no special wheels or splitter.

There's half your problem. I've had about 15-20 RS's over the years, and as long as they're looked after nicely, they get better with miles.

My current shed is on 105k and goes as well as ones i've owned with half the miles on.

You can view the for sale section without paying anything though. You just can't post yourself.

And the only one within my budget is sold.

Clio 182 arctic
Is your budget the maximum you can afford or an actual target you have set yourself?
Because if it is the maximum you can afford you may be in for a bit of a shock when it comes to tax/insurance and running costs, not to mention if the car needs the belts changing.

It's how much money I currently have to hand. I already have an insurance policy left over from my car I just sold which has £600 paid off up front (Which is slowly ticking away), I've worked out I wont need to pay them any more money to swap to a 172/182. Tax is a non issue as long as its not up for a few months.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
It's how much money I currently have to hand. I already have an insurance policy left over from my car I just sold which has £600 paid off up front (Which is slowly ticking away), I've worked out I wont need to pay them any more money to swap to a 172/182. Tax is a non issue as long as its not up for a few months.

There is a lovely rb 182 for sale on here at the moment, with 6 months tax ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Prices on this forum seem very over-inflated over cars on autotrader.

That's rubbish, the cars on here tend to be undervalued. And the reason other cars are cheap is because they are shitters.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I mean I'm seeing 182s on auto trader with mods for £1700

Mods don't add value, and in many cases will decrease value. Plus racing blue/liquid yellow hold a premium over other colours.

Silver and arctic blue cars are cheapest.

But cars tend to be cheap for a reason, such as upcoming belt changes

Nimbus Clio 197
You don't want to be buying a sh*tter. The 172/182 might be a cheap French hot hatch, but they need to be maintained properly. Lots of people sell them when the belts are due, so they don't have to spend the right money on having the work done. These are usually the ones that are cheaper. Cars are usually cheap for a reason! Look at a few, get a feel for them, check the belts have been done on schedule (preferably recently!), and don't just go off mileage. Get the best one you can afford. Probably obvious advice when buying any car, but there we are.

Well this one I am looking at only has 85k miles. It wont need another till 120k.
Also since it's already got a better exhaust, ktec remap and Eibach springs, I wont have to do that myself.

It is only a standard 182 but all it needs is a spoiler and a splitter wacking on and it's pretty much a cup. I'd rather keep the climate control.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No, it meant it was a loss due to the repairs being expensive compared to the cost of the car.

Given that there are circa 3-500 172/182's for sale at the moment, i really can't see why you'd pick a cat D. Do not buy a 182 with £1700, it'll be a f**king pup.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Oh god. I wouldn't buy any of them. First one has and awful colour scheme, second one doesn't have a very good advert, probably needs a cam belt. Third one is just awful.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Must be trolling surely?

Also, just to confuse matters, some 172 cups have climate control.

As far as speed goes, they are all different. My normal 172 is quicker than alot of 172/182/197/200s. The engine is a freak.

Probably because its on 118k miles now and has been absolutely thrashed! I love it.

Anyone know how much a new set of OEM 172 cup shocks is? Might be an idea to get a standard 172 and upgrade it.

I'm seeing those for £1400 and if you're telling me I wont find a good condition 172 cup for less than £2k I might be able to save some money.