ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New KTEC induction kit for 172

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
haha, where have you been? This has been the source of controversy on here for months for people that can't accept it works well.

Yes I've used it a number of times on different cars, sold several, and seen positive gains all the time

Silver 172 cup
For once I have had no issues with my Clio for months - finally got it to a point where its 100%! So not been on here much.

Just a bit edgy about spending this much on an induction kit so needed to know real opinions before I decide whether to buy or not!

What have some users been claiming when they say it doesn't work?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
What have some users been claiming when they say it doesn't work?

it's literally just people with some kind of axe to grind "because it's K-tec"

Where are you, there's a few around, it might be to your advantage to see one fitted to a car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They sound pretty epic at full throttle. I would be skeptical about the power gain claims they are making though of course, unless comparing it to the standard setup with an old filter that is becoming restrictive of course, which is where most of the gains with these sort of products normally come from in tests, lol

Evo 5 RS
It's the fact it's so simple that gets people. It is pretty expensive though, at least the Maxogen has some pretty carbon

Evo 5 RS
tbf so it should for nearly £400 iirc

Personally I wouldn't buy either. Upgraded panel filter - job done. Or do it properly.

I'm not disputing it doesn't do what they're saying, I just think it's a tad expensive. But, you charge for what you know in some cases and if it works it works.

It's the aesthetics of it which people aren't convinced on, it is just a silicon elbow after all

IMO for a car that hasnt been cammed / decatted (basically already loud) I think its a perfect addition if you want extra sound and can justify the cost.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely r&d money is being recouped in the cost too.

Cant be a lot of R&D, its only a copy of what other people have been doing for years to gain some extra length and also put the filter in cold air (JMS did it ages ago for example), but just made in a neater package which is a pretty straightforward thing to develop.
Dont get me wrong, there will be some basic R&D costs, but im sure it is still a very profitable line for them despite that (and why not, thats what companies are for, to make their shareholders money!).

Evo 5 RS
K&N get a lot of stick for no reason, they just have a large number of universal products that get put onto to absoloute heaps. The Typhoons are normally cheaper than this though and are probably made of better materials too tbh

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
K&N get a lot of stick for no reason, they just have a large number of universal products that get put onto to absoloute heaps. The Typhoons are normally cheaper than this though and are probably made of better materials too tbh

nope, I've seen them for as much as £215.

Whats the "REAL" reason for so many people to dislike/slate it?

Can't afford it?
Mrs said no (under the thumb);)
Or just a huge dislike for k-tec?
Following the crowd?

Maybe if a different well known and lubed up trader(s) not you Dan... had designed and sold it not one person would slate it.:D

I have never been one for induction kits but have ordered one myself . and have also had problems etc in the past with k-tec but thats just the way it is s**t happens and they have always resolved them for me..

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Whats the "REAL" reason for so many people to dislike/slate it?

Can't afford it?
Mrs said no (under the thumb);)
Or just a huge dislike for k-tec?
Following the crowd?

Maybe if a different well known and lubed up trader(s) not you Dan... had designed and sold it not one person would slate it.

Where is anyone slating it? I keep seeing people say others are slating it, but other than people pointing out (correctly) that you could build essentially the same thing for far less money if you can be bothered, I havent actually seen any comments about it that are actually negative?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The people moaning about it generally have a negative view in general towards Ktec, I haven't seen anyone who has ACTUALLY had one say something negative about it.

Its a bent bit of a pipe and a cone filter, there really isnt much negative you could possibly find with something so simple TBH
But as above, other than people commenting it could be done cheaper, what negative comments are there?

Renault Clio 182
I think there is a small ammount of people that dont like K-TEC for there own reasons and will not like anything they do make or sell, Im not saying that is what is happening here but there seems to be alot of it across the forum

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think there is a small ammount of people that dont like K-TEC for there own reasons and will not like anything they do make or sell, Im not saying that is what is happening here but there seems to be alot of it across the forum

Some people dont like companies simply because they make money. Kind of a weird attitude really.

TBH I tend to avoid buying much from Ktec personally on the basis that its normally available cheaper elsewhere, but I dont hate them for trying to make a profit, I just simply only buy from them if its something I cant readily find for less elsewhere.

Renault Clio 182
Think you right there Chip, I have always used them tbh but I get on well with all of them there so don't mind giving them more business,

But I would never put down other businesses that I dont use, again not suggesting that is what people are doing

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Some people dont like companies simply because they make money. Kind of a weird attitude really.

TBH I tend to avoid buying much from Ktec personally on the basis that its normally available cheaper elsewhere, but I dont hate them for trying to make a profit, I just simply only buy from them if its something I cant readily find for less elsewhere.

You're right, but is it a healthy profit marign or rip off?

The latter might be viewed as insult to their customer base.
No one but K-tec will know the figures but it's pretty easy to judge (rightly OR wrongly) for yourself given the evidence.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lots of stuff Ktec sell clearly has big markup, some things like their turbo manifolds that markup is very clearly well in excess of 100%, like I said though, no one is forcing you to buy it so why get angry if its too dear, just shop somewhere cheaper, or if you cant be bothered to look around then except you are paying for the convenience of the fact ktec are easy to buy from.

Evo 5 RS
Lots of stuff Ktec sell clearly has big markup, some things like their turbo manifolds that markup is very clearly well in excess of 100%, like I said though, no one is forcing you to buy it so why get angry if its too dear, just shop somewhere cheaper, or if you cant be bothered to look around then except you are paying for the convenience of the fact ktec are easy to buy from.

That the engine dynamics one? I lol'ed at that. Lazy listing day maybe.......... "F*ck it" lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe thats what I'm annoyed at. They pray on the lazy/ill-informed?

If people are prepared to pay that amount, then that by definition is the going rate for those customers, and why wouldnt any company want to sell products at the going rate if there are sufficient numbers of customers agreeing on that price by buying?
If people are too lazy to look elsewhere, and thats what ktec's business model is built on for the pricing of certain items then I see no problem with that at all, if Ktec werent there to offer these products then those people would have to look elsewhere, and they still have that choice even though ktec exist.

Personally I like to get paid when I go to work as well, so although I might choose in my spare time to help clio owners out for free with advice or sourcing certain parts for them etc, I certainly wouldnt expect KTEC to do the same, they need to get paid like anyone with a job or business.