ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Laptop. What to get?

Renault meggy
I need a laptop for my second year at Uni and for general use.

The main thing I am looking for is built in wireless with a good range. My current laptop can only seem to pick up my BT home hub from a few rooms away but I had someone here the other day who could get a signal from down the garden!

I'd also like to be XP and dual core.
Below £600.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Hixxey.

dont buy a laptop for 600. AT ALL. its a complete waste of money.

Buy a computer tower or source the components off a reputable E-tailer and get someone to put it together for you. It will be twice as fast as a laptop, half the price and totally future proof by comparison.

Unless you simply have to get a laptop because of its maneuverability then dont get one. IF you need a pc to carry about with you then go for it.

If you need the laptop then get a DELL - i only suggest this because they are comparatively cheap (asside from all the preinstalled rubbish they come with)

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Got my Laptop 31/2 years ago from Aldi. It's performed faultlessly and I would seriously consider buying from there again.

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_6017.htm

I'm sure the enthusiasts will scorn me, but with a 3 year warranty too. Mine has been excellent, used daily for all 31/2 years, still like new too. I'm not currently into pc's but had been building them for several years until recently. I know it makes good economic sense to build one, but thats for the experts. There are also cons, if some of the components used for the build are faulty it can takes weeks to turn things round. Been there done that, not for me anymore.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
i've got an acer laptop and nothing has ever went wrong with it! had it for about 18months now! personally i would advise an acer

Clio Dynamic S 2.0VVT
Wanted a Lap Top mainly for Photoshop

Picking up an ACER 7520 tomorrow.

17" screen
2 GB DDR2 memory
200GB Hard Disc
ATI HD 2400 XT graphics
AMD Turion X2 Dual Core TL-60
Vista Home Premium
F Secure Anti Virus

£549 inc VAT

Just amazing what you get for this sort of money now

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Ive had my Acer for 18months now, nothing wrong. Cost £499 and has 2gb of ram which back then was unheared of on cheaper models. Only thing i dont like is the battery life, its s**t.

Better than yours. C*nt.
dont buy a laptop for 600. AT ALL. its a complete waste of money.

Are you on crack? For £250 you can buy a very usable Dell Vostro - I challenge anyone to say that's a waste of money as I think that's possibly the best buy in the world for anyone who just wants a cheap laptop that will word process, go on the internet and play a DVD...!

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
A desktop is in no way better than a Laptop now. 5 years ago then yes i would agree, but a laptop makes perfect sense unless you are sitting at it all day.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Daz, Boosh and Mike speak sense.

I'd say it's the other day around, unless you have a specific reason for going for a desktop then I'd always buy a laptop. So many more advantages.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
that one in aldi is a piece of kit, finger print scanner, bluetooth, wireless, tv tuner 3gb of ram and a really large HDD plus vista home premium and other accessories ( mouse etc) i've been looking at getting one, the all medion profucts are just rebadged products from other manufacturers, you'll probabaly find is an acer uunder the skin. Plus a 3 years warranty is brilliant mind you it only covers the componants, not anything which directly comes from your fecking about with the operating system.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
dell are also doing a good one right now for £550 with a free colour upgrade. Nearly the same spec a tthat bargin in Aldis.

dk

911 GTS Cab
just upgraded my laptop, got a 17" (1920x1200), T9300 C2D, 4gb DDR2 ram, 640gb (2 x 320 gb RAID0) bluray recorder drive, GEF8600 GT 512mb dedicated and vista ultimate.

Its an animal and flies!

Renault meggy
Been looking at the eee.
Its between this and this
I don't what the XP one because its only 12gb but I also don't want the 20gb one because it has linux. Is it easy to install a fully functional version of xp on to the black one?

Thanks

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
both of them are epic fails imo. i bet i could find you something alot better for that money...

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
oh right - i thought you were going on performance.

i suppose if your looking for small then thats fine... smaller you go i find that performance is compramised abit.

Mac book air? what are they going for

Iceberg 172 Cup

lol i live nr laptops direct and this is the laptop i'm currently using and i bought it from there!! ace laptop, great for the money, and i'm an i.t engineer so i know what i'm talking about. + whats the reason for you wanting dual core?? any specific needs, as, it'l have no performance increase at all unless ur using a program tht eats cpu!!

most programs eat RAM!

but for 30quid more u get a laptop bag and 2gb of ram!

/jay

Renault meggy
oh right - i thought you were going on performance.

i suppose if your looking for small then thats fine... smaller you go i find that performance is compramised abit.

Well I will be using it mainly for university. So it needs to be able to run programs that are only windows compatible such as Visual Studio, Photoshop, Ect...
Also, it needs to be Windows because, Although I have some experience with Linux, I would be too slow on it to do anything productivly.

Better than yours. C*nt.

You really didn't think your posts through did you. Not only posting a laptop completely incomparable to the two that were suggested, you also then suggest something which at a minimum will be 4 times the price. Great idea!

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=312082&Sku=142912

Bit more money than the two you've posted but a more 'household name' and runs Vista Business on a 120GB hard drive.

EDIT - If you're quick:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=316224&CatId=659

They've got an open box one for the same money as those ASUS ones - have their arm off for that money mate...

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

You really didn't think your posts through did you. Not only posting a laptop completely incomparable to the two that were suggested, you also then suggest something which at a minimum will be 4 times the price. Great idea!

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=312082&Sku=142912

Bit more money than the two you've posted but a more 'household name' and runs Vista Business on a 120GB hard drive.

EDIT - If you're quick:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=316224&CatId=659

They've got an open box one for the same money as those ASUS ones - have their arm off for that money mate...

wow.

Sorry :boring: :eek:

xxx