ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Member - Clio RS 172 Build- Melbourne, Australia

TDT

2001 Clio 172
Hi All

New Member from Melbourne Australia.

My Best friend Jason and I have been slowing building/restoring/destroying a 172 for the past two years for amateur track and hillclimb.

Bought the car very cheap from a bloke out in the country who after a few to many at the local pub found the entry to his garage rather challenging resulting in the car requiring some bodywork and new bonnet..

She's no Prize Pig or Concourse Queen but we figured for the price who really cares right?

The car is now 80% of where we wanted it be. We wanted a car to be reliable, safe, not overly complex and easy to work on - A one setting car that we could take out once per month to improve our skills and enjoy a day out with mates without constantly worrying about car adjustments and more on driver adjustments.

Getting the parts for these cars in Australia can be the biggest struggle so when building this car freight from the UK was an unwelcome but necessary expense but we did manage to find some good second hand scores locally such as the wheels and bonnet after trawling the local listings on a daily basis.

Overall we are extremely happy we made the choice to get something a little different to what is normal at the track and it sure surprises plenty of people at the track in more powerful local machinery.

The car has been out twice, first completing stock aside from wheel and second with below set up.

Sorry for the lack of detailed photos, sometimes you just want to get on with the job instead of stopping for a photo shoot at every step!

Here is a list of what we have done thus far.
  • Full Engine Service Including Timing Belt, Water Pump and Balancer
  • Replaced Damaged Bonnet with Carbon/Fibreglass Bonnet (Cheaper then used stock one at the time)
  • Repaired Damaged Rear Quarter Panel (Freebie Thanks to Rapid Smash Repairs!)
  • Front Splitter
  • Second Hand Speedline Wheels - Wrong Colour but were a Bargain.
  • Stripped Interior
  • Brembo HC's, Goodridge Lines, Fedoro Pads and Fluid
  • KW Coilover V1 F&R
  • OMP Steering Wheel, OMP Champ R Seats and OMP Harnesses
  • RamAir Filter (For Sound and Nothing else :wink:)
  • Fire Extinguisher
1. Speedlines Getting Put On - Check The Quarter Damage.
Clio 6.jpg

Clio 7.jpg

2. Car After Rapid Worked Their Magic.
Clio 5.jpg

3. Replaced Damaged Bonnet with Carbon/Fibreglass Bonnet and fitted AeroCatch Flush Mounted Catches.
Clio 9.jpg

Clio 10.jpg
Clio 11.jpg
Clio 13.jpg

4. Brakes and Suspension Fitted
Clio 14.jpg
Clio 16.jpg

Last edited:

TDT

2001 Clio 172
5. Suspension Set and Splitter Fitted.
Clio 12.jpg

Clio 2.jpg
Clio 3.jpg

6. Seat, Harness and Steering Wheel Fitted.
Clio 4.jpg

We still have a few more things to we would like to do, so if anyone of you have any suggestions that may improve the car for not much investment then we would love to know.

Cheers

Tommy and Jason

Attachments

• Clio 1.jpg
    Clio 1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 75
  • Clio 8.jpg
    Clio 8.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 82
Awesome :smile:

Not many in upside-down land so hats-off for taking on a challenge!

Not sure there's much left to do - get out there and enjoy driving it :smile: Make sure you've got it all aligned properly, though, as I think they're pretty sensitive to different settings!

I think the only thing I can think of is perhaps removing the front foglights and putting in some ducting to cool the front brakes during hard track sessions, going from my understanding of how stupidly hot it gets in your part of the world lol

You could maybe consider options for exhausts as well, although I'm not sure if you have strict noise limits at your trackdays?