ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Member - Looking at getting a 197 or a 200?

Clio RS200
Hello

I currently own a Saxo VTS (dont judge me ::) and in all honesty, I am bored fixing it every week when something goes wrong.

My plan is to get a 197 or a 200 if I can get the finance on it :)

I have a viewing today but there are two used models at Renault near me.

The first is a 2007 197 with 35k on the clock - £7500
The second is a 2009 200 with 20k on the clock - £10000

As I am getting finance, they work at the same amout as one is a straight HP 4 year deal and the other is a PCP with £4500 to pay at the end of three year term.

My question is......is it worth getting the 200 over the 197??

Ta!

Nissan 350z
If your going to finance and the monthly payments will be the same'ish then i think it would be pretty silly paying new car money for a 5yr old 197. That alone would put me off looking at 197s regardless of any "are they better" comments :)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Some will say yes, some will say no. It's down to personal preference and wether you want a newer car or not. Also, depends on the spec. Do they have Recaros? That usually bumps the price up

Out of interest, I asume the 197 is and F1? It should be for that price. Get yourself over to www.197.net for more info (sorry for the plug, but it IS a better site for 197/200 owners)

An orange one
id take the older car and it will actually yours after the payment terms...

id say theres not much chance you would pay an extra £4500 to buy the 200 after the pcp deal..

Cup 172
off topic - instead of getting finance get a loan! - your bank will offer you APR at a much lower rate (as low as 7.1%) whereas most finance companies offer 12-16.7% that way if anything went tits up or you got bored of the car you could then sell the car to pay the finance off - i bought an astra with only £4k finance got bored of the car and still owed £2k on it lol

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
off topic - instead of getting finance get a loan! - your bank will offer you APR at a much lower rate (as low as 7.1%) whereas most finance companies offer 12-16.7% that way if anything went tits up or you got bored of the car you could then sell the car to pay the finance off - i bought an astra with only £4k finance got bored of the car and still owed £2k on it lol

^ this man speaks sense!

^ this man speaks sense!

Really?

Last time I financed a Renault the APR was approx 4%.

Cup 172
was that before the country was on its a*se by any chance? lol either that or they offer 0% APR but you have to pay about £4k off at the end of the agreement haha - regardless some finance companies will charge you admin fee's on top to terminate an agreement early - id rather use a loan to pay the car off then i know the car is mine and not the finance companies.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Drive them both then decide would be my option, although I really don't like pcp deals so would go for what you can afford, just think at the end of the term you will own a car worth reasonable money if you buy it with a loan etc. I always see pcp as just signing up for pretty harsh depreciation!

Clio RS200
Decided to go to the 200 :)

Came with bluetooth and sat nav built in.

They also threw in a full tank of fuel, RS mats, gap loss insurance, superguard and something similar for the interior.

£220 a month over 5 years with no payment at the end.

Pick it up next week so I will probably be a regular on this forum!!

W

WAR 23N

So now you have opted for 5 years at £220 a month your going to end up spending an extra £3,200 ontop of there asking price.....

IMO I dont think a 2009 200 is worth £13,200... I also think 'Hunty2009's advice was pretty good.

At the end of the day its your decision, if your not someone who is particularly assed about paying over the odds then fair play,

I know id of probably done it the other way!

Have fun in it regardless :)

Audi A5
Enjoy your car pal, get some pics up when you have it.

P.s what made you choose that user name Is it because that film was on tv the other night?

Clio RS200
Bank wouldn't let me have 10k for some reason, I did try!

Yeah I know I will be paying over the odds but I love the car and can easily afford the repayment :)

W

WAR 23N

Well like i said if your happy then go for it :)

As everyone has already said, get some pics up :approve:

Clio RS200
One picture I have, don't pick it up until Monday though

BK59KKF_EF1.jpg

Clio Cup Ph2 172 16v
My friend recently bought a 197, we dragged them on the motorway from 40 in second gear. My 172 cup pulled away quite easily and it cost around a third of the price. And I put 182 FF interior in it for £300 so it has nicer seats than the 197 too. But each to his own, enjoy the new car :)

BMW E34 540i

I got finance from Renault at 5,6% thought this is high (company is called RCI Financial Services Ltd.)

Clio RS200
I dont have much of a credit history so im just happy i got it.

I only do 6k miles a year and will keep it mint so dont think i will have many problems selling it.

The car is a big step up from the saxo and im not going to be taking it on a track so the suspension is fine.

I also dont want buckets.

Clio RS200
Forgive my ignorance but is the cup version just a different suspension and different styling?

Could I not get the cup suspension fitted or one similar?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
the cup pack is the stiffer chassis & brakes calipers in red & the wheels Anthricite...

S

LY 200
Iv had both with very similar specs in the last few years and would say the 200 everytime.

A well spec'd 197 is by no means a poor car mind.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My friend recently bought a 197, we dragged them on the motorway from 40 in second gear. My 172 cup pulled away quite easily and it cost around a third of the price. And I put 182 FF interior in it for £300 so it has nicer seats than the 197 too. But each to his own, enjoy the new car :)

And the point in that reply is what exactly?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
And the point in that reply is what exactly?

To be honest my sisters other half has a 172 Cup and he's on here "Rallyxmadd", I've had traffic light grand prix's with him & pulled away from him on multiple occasions & he's not a bad driver either.

Theres barely anything in it if we are being honest, but we can't deny the 197/200 is a better car (depending on what you want out of it).

If the chaps happy with it thats all that matters aye.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The OP was in the market for a new-ish car for around £10k, probably needed a warranty and some day to day civility.

You think he should have got an 8 year old shed with questionable build quality, no warranty, an interior he'd have to f*** about swapping over should he, all so he could boast he was 0.01s quicker in a drag.

Pointless post is pointless!

Last edited:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The OP was in the market for a new-ish car for around £10k, probably needed a warranty and some day to day civility.

You think he should have got an 8 year old shed with questionable build quality, no warranty, an interior he'd have to f*** about swapping over should he?

Pointless post is pointless!

+1