ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member looking for some advice please

Clio phase 1 172
So I’ve got a phase 1 172 which is my pride and joy only owned a car for a few months but slowly turning it into a track toy as I only live down the road from Cadwell Park! so I’ve put a full set of coil overs on the car with solid top mounts and the car is going in for tracking tomorrow but since lowering the car another 20 mil I’ve now got a bad vibration when I go round a right hand bend I’ve been told it could possibly be the driveshaft buggered but personally I’m thinking it’s because I’ve lowered it a little too much although the arch is still sat on top of the tire anybody had this issue before? Thanks

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve got a phase 1 172 which is my pride and joy only owned a car for a few months but slowly turning it into a track toy as I only live down the road from Cadwell Park! so I’ve put a full set of coil overs on the car with solid top mounts and the car is going in for tracking tomorrow but since lowering the car another 20 mil I’ve now got a bad vibration when I go round a right hand bend I’ve been told it could possibly be the driveshaft buggered but personally I’m thinking it’s because I’ve lowered it a little too much although the arch is still sat on top of the tire anybody had this issue before? Thanks
It is probably a driveshaft issue.

The 172 and 182 have a staggering number of driveshaft part numbers. They are different between cup, non cup, 182... I believe they are all a slightly different length.

What can happen when you lower a car with a driveshaft that is slightly too long is that the joints can slightly bind which would as far as I know create what you are feeling.

Too low is no good for anything, you get all kinds of issues like bump steer, driveshafts killing themselves, wheels touching arches etc. I would try raising it a little to see if that helps.

Clio phase 1 172

The 172 and 182 have a staggering number of driveshaft part numbers. They are different between cup, non cup, 182... I believe they are all a slightly different length.

What can happen when you lower a car with a driveshaft that is slightly too long is that the joints can slightly bind which would as far as I know create what you are feeling.

Too low is no good for anything, you get all kinds of issues like bump steer, driveshafts killing themselves, wheels touching arches etc. I would try raising it a little to see if that helps.
Thank you very much for your reply and yes what you are saying definitely makes sense but what I can’t understand is that with the lowering springs and shocks it was perfectly fine but now I’ve fitted Gaz coil overs and PMS top mounts it just feels like the nearside wheel is wobbling when hard cornering right but I have no grinding or clicking from the driveshaft as you would expect when I’ve had driveshaft go previously so I was just a little stumped on what it could be and I hide it up by 20 mil but still having the same issue just not as bad

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome aboard!

As @Tory-ing_Rob says - the driveshafts come in many variations and are increasingly like hen's teeth to find. I'd certainly be looking after them as best you can. :)

With that issue you mention above, you've raised the ride height by 20mm, does the wobbling get even less the higher that you go? I know you don't want your track car to have the appearance of a 4x4 - but it would be worth testing that first.

Clio phase 1 172
Welcome aboard!

As @Tory-ing_Rob says - the driveshafts come in many variations and are increasingly like hen's teeth to find. I'd certainly be looking after them as best you can. :)

With that issue you mention above, you've raised the ride height by 20mm, does the wobbling get even less the higher that you go? I know you don't want your track car to have the appearance of a 4x4 - but it would be worth testing that first.
Hey buddy thanks for your reply! I had eibach sport lines on genuine shocks previously and the car handled a dream then I wanted to go a little lower for mainly track use so after fitting the new coilovers wheel spacers and top mounts and only lowered in the car probably 30 mm more than it was before on the springs I’ve now found a horrible juddering noise feels like it’s coming from the passenger side when turning right but turning left is absolutely fine,trackday booked tomorrow too so im panicking lol

Clio phase 1 172
Hey buddy thanks for your reply! I had eibach sport lines on genuine shocks previously and the car handled a dream then I wanted to go a little lower for mainly track use so after fitting the new coilovers wheel spacers and top mounts and only lowered in the car probably 30 mm more than it was before on the springs I’ve now found a horrible juddering noise feels like it’s coming from the passenger side when turning right but turning left is absolutely fine,trackday booked tomorrow too so im panicking lol
435F3A8A-5776-4795-BC48-A2D4B9EDF569.jpeg
its not overly low either

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I'd pop the ride height back to what it was on the eibach, so raise the coilovers up back to that intially, front and rear

then if still there, remove the wheel spacers and ssee again

basically, remove each change you made in sequence to see what the cause is

it could easily be shaft as well, the phase 1 172 shafts are unique to the car, no other mk2 sport shares same shaft, so someone could easily have put wrong one on and by altering geo with lowering etc could be binding that shaft as other have said.

Clio phase 1 172
I'd pop the ride height back to what it was on the eibach, so raise the coilovers up back to that intially, front and rear

then if still there, remove the wheel spacers and ssee again

basically, remove each change you made in sequence to see what the cause is

it could easily be shaft as well, the phase 1 172 shafts are unique to the car, no other mk2 sport shares same shaft, so someone could easily have put wrong one on and by altering geo with lowering etc could be binding that shaft as other have said.
That’s brilliant coops! Thank you for the reply I will have a go this weekend at removing the spacers and lifting it up and see how I get on, Here’s a picture of how the car is sat at the moment

Attachments

• 919B9871-43FB-4937-9B9E-D1E29EDD9489.jpeg
    919B9871-43FB-4937-9B9E-D1E29EDD9489.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 29
  Clio phase 1 172
That’s brilliant coops! Thank you for the reply I will have a go this weekend at removing the spacers and lifting it up and see how I get on, Here’s a picture of how the car is sat at the moment
Sorry I didn’t realise I had already uploaded the same picture LOL

Clio phase 1 172

its not really low thats what i can’t understand, i’m thinking maybe when I replaced the suspension the driveshaft has come out of the gearbox and maybe it hasn’t gone back in perfect because it was perfect before I replaced the suspension even bouncing round bends at high speeds and it’s only a little bit lower than before so the suspension wouldn’t be travelling any more than it was

Attachments

• 9BE4DC0F-9969-4B2C-85F1-00E3DA3A61E3.jpeg
    9BE4DC0F-9969-4B2C-85F1-00E3DA3A61E3.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 35

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't look any lower than mine tbh. Did you take it for tracking today?

Have you done a spanner check? Also worth grabbing each wheel and giving it a good shake about to see if you can feel any play that should be there.

Worth seeing if you can get a jack under the lower arm or the hub (be careful they are piddly) so you can get the wheel off the ground but still loaded then you can rotate each front wheel by hand to see if you can feel anything odd.

Clio phase 1 172
It doesn't look any lower than mine tbh. Did you take it for tracking today?

Have you done a spanner check? Also worth grabbing each wheel and giving it a good shake about to see if you can feel any play that should be there.

Worth seeing if you can get a jack under the lower arm or the hub (be careful they are piddly) so you can get the wheel off the ground but still loaded then you can rotate each front wheel by hand to see if you can feel anything odd.
Yes it’s been in today the passenger side was towing in 6° so all of that has been sorted all of the bolts have been checked but he didn’t really take anything apart said he could feel something when turning right but said it should be okay for the track day tomorrow but it’s just really strange and I can’t get my head around it because I’m sure the height difference hasn’t caused it as I’ve seen them a lot lower with no issues ,waited weeks for this trackday and now i dont think il be able to fully drive the car, i’m not sure if it’s been cured as I haven’t drove the car yet but would 6° to go in cause a juddering feeling when turning right?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it’s been in today the passenger side was towing in 6° so all of that has been sorted all of the bolts have been checked but he didn’t really take anything apart said he could feel something when turning right but said it should be okay for the track day tomorrow but it’s just really strange and I can’t get my head around it because I’m sure the height difference hasn’t caused it as I’ve seen them a lot lower with no issues ,waited weeks for this trackday and now i dont think il be able to fully drive the car, i’m not sure if it’s been cured as I haven’t drove the car yet but would 6° to go in cause a juddering feeling when turning right?
Could be.

I suggest just sending it to find out!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not 'quite' the same, but my dad smacked a protruding kerb in his car on the front left wheel.

Had it fixed and even a replacement wheel on that corner, but every now and then you'd get a juddering/slight wobble feel whilst turning right.

Annoyingly, it didn't do it all the time - but it was more likely when you loaded up the nearside front, like going around a roundabout quickly. Never did get it fully sorted, despite several garage visits.