ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New or Old

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Still waiting for my "new" Cup to be delivered and still waiting for confirmation of when its going to get to me...a***!

Then this morning, at an independant dealer just down the road from where I work, theyve got a 52 reg Cup with 4k on it. Went to see it at lunch and all seems sound...they offered me a fairly reasonable part-ex on the Mondeo as well.

The cost to me to change to the new Cup is £2240...I reckon with some haggling I could get this down to £1500 on the secondhand one...so...a new 53 Cup for £2240 delivered in...well, its been four months already so no idea really, or a used on with 4k on it and £740 in my pocket and have it by the weekend.

Cant decide...

The Jinx

Used mate. The best VFM cars are the ones aged between 6-18months old. Theyve usually already lost a hefty chunk, have been run in, and should still have reasonably low miles on.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Get the used one mate, I would...

Its got minimal mileage on it and only just run in, plus any early teething troubles should all have been sorted for you!

Mine is just coming up to 4k miles now and its great now all the annoying little things have been sorted, so go for it.

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 05 November 2003

Used mate. The best VFM cars are the ones aged between 6-18months old. Theyve usually already lost a hefty chunk, have been run in, and should still have reasonably low miles on.

Ask yourself why some one sells a new car after 4 k miles? Demonstrator? Someone who is loaded and just has FUN in the car for 4 k then sells it i.e thrashed to feck??? Who knows?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

^^^^

I was gonn say something along the same lines.

My GFs bro brought an ex demo 172 with 3500 miles on it, paid nearly the same as my import and it already feels old and worn compared to mine.

The gear lever feels very loose and the steering doesnt feel as sharp even after new tyres and even he admits that mine feels quicker.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I asked him where they got it, and they said it came from the local Renault dealer. Now Ive thought about it, it was really rough as f***...the gaitor round the gear leaver was hanging off, and it fealt really well used.

Think Ill hang on a week or two (or maybe a few days!):)

Abarth 500

Having sold Renaults and been responsible for gently running in the demonstrators which we get given as company cars, I would definately suggest getting the new one!!

Ex-Demo cars are *always* thrashed - Its an honest fact!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

£500 deposit paid back in July...theyve been very apologetic so far about the delays so if I did decide to get something else I dont think Id have a problem at all getting it back.

Gonna wait for the new one to arrive...the pain of seeing one every day on my way to work is almost unbearable though!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aaaah... if its an "ex demo" then dont touch it with a barge pole...

Ok i would advise ringing up your delaer ASAP, today is poss! Im sorry, but no matter how nice they have been its still a disgrace that youve been waiting 4 months for your Cup!! Tell them that youve seen this other Cup and if you dont get a delivery date, you will cancel the order.

I threatend to cancel my order with my clio, funnily enough the car was ready 3 days later.

Good luck!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Im not buying it from a Renault dealer...its coming from New-Car-Discount.com. As for cancelling my order, I really dont want to do that...they agreed at the time I placed the order that they would honour the price they offered me against my Mondeo until I took delivery. As its been four months now, if I were to go elsewhere Id get nowhere near what theyre offering me for it.

Plus, Ive never had a "new" car...so I need to keep calm, control my urges to go and buy a ragged-to-f*** ex-demo, and be patient...but its soooo difficult.:(

The Jinx

Ahh, ex-demo. Steer clear then. (although mines an ex-demo and came with 18000miles at 10months old, but is a diesel)

Some people change so soon because they can afford to. They can take finance over 2-3yrs and have paid enough off to not lose that much money.

Id get looking in auto trader for a used one..i personally think anyone who gets a new relatively pricey Renault is a bit crazy because of the horrendous depreciation. It wouldnt take long to find a female owner who uses it gently.

The new car experience is always nice..but with a Renault..it sometimes isnt (as i found out). Theres a good chance a second hand one would of had all its niggling faults already sorted for you as well.

-Rob

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The trouble for me in getting a used one is that Id need to find a private buyer for my Mondeo. Ive had it advertised at a (IMO) reasonable price since I placed my order, and so far Ive not taken even a single call for it. I think the trouble is that most people that have a budget of approaching £10k to spend on a car have a) a part exchange, b) need finance and c) no desire to be in a Mondeo! Which leaves me slightly f***ed!:(

To cap it all, Ive just had an e-mail from NCD.com saying that delivery has been delayed now until 18/11!!!:mad:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 06 November 2003

Theres a good chance a second hand one would of had all its niggling faults already sorted for you as well.
Which is exactly what I said originally...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

^^^ LOL!

Got a friend to phone up NCD.com this morning enquiring about getting a Cup from them...no part-ex or finance needed, to see if they were just pi$$ing me about because theyd guaranteed the value of my Mondeo which is now worth way less than theyre going to give me for it.

She was told the earliest she could get one would be middle of December as theyre having major supply-chain problems at the moment.

My heart is screaming at me to go and find a secondhand one, but my head says the new one from NCD.com will arrive eventually (well, 18 Nov hopefully), and for extra £740 I get a brand spanking new one...definitely gonna sit tight for ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!:mad::mad::mad:

Having been a salesman for most my working life (9 years) my opinion of the best thing i would do is go and moan your tits off at the sales managers and get some goodies free for your inconvenience like mats, full tank of petrol, Road tax free, mudflaps............ whatever you ask for as a gesture of good will by the garage for your inconvenience you will definately get!! Let us know in a pm os something how you get on!! smileys/smiley16">

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Just received from NCD.com...

Good Morning Mark

The 18th November still stands for the cars arrival, with regards to delivery if all goes well (Ive got all my fingers and toes crossed) then yes It will be either Friday next week or Monday of the following week.

Hope to speak to you soon

Janice

At f***ing last! A week tomorrow...a Cup on the drive...Im not gonna be able to sleep now...:D