ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New project - Clio Williams 2.

182 Trophy, Williams
A few years ago I bought one of the highest mileage and cheapest 182 Trophys around. Cosmetically it was great but mechanically it needed some TLC. The project is now complete with a rebuilt engine and gearbox, it makes a very healthy 195bhp at the wheels (thanks to some K-tec go faster bits, and according to their dyno). It gets driven and tracked regularly.

With the project complete I started looking around for something new to get my teeth into. Porsche 944s and classic Mini Coopers were what I was looking for. I hadn't even considered a Williams because they seemed well out of my price range. I've been watching them for a while and they seem to change hands for about ten, give or take a bit. You see the odd one advertised over twenty, but who knows if anybody actually pays that.

I stumbled across a Williams 2 advertised at £5500 as a "barn find" which I usually interpret as eBay speak for "neglected". With quite low hopes I called the seller and went to have a look. What I found was pleasantly surprising! I drove away with it for £5100 with a couple of extra Speedline wheels. (If anybody wants those drop me a PM).

The bodywork is very straight with only a few car park type dings that will pull out. The paintwork however is faded, swirled and will require a lot of attention, if not a full respray. It looks ok from a few yards away but it'll need sorting. The interior was good news, being 100% complete and in exceptional condition. The interior had worried me on the way to see it because repairing mechanical stuff is easy compared to sourcing very rare Williams specific seats etc. I was very relieved to see that everything was present and basically as good as new, including the original Williams F1 floor mats!

The front suspension is going to need work. There is a noticable clunk from the front struts when setting off, braking or turning sharply, I'm not mechanically minded enough to know if it's top mounts or steering rack or what yet. The brakes appear to have been done recently and feel good. The engine has supposedly been rebuilt, although there is no evidence to support that so I'm approaching it as though it might not have been. It does run well and feels good, as does the gearbox. There are a number of small things that don't work, central locking, passenger window, oil level gauge all need sorting.

The plan is to take the car to RS Four Ashes and have Floyd take a look at it and make a prioritised list.

Initially I'll sort out the suspension and get the car to be driveable. Then I plan to drive it about as a scruffy project to shake it down and unearth any other problems that might be hiding. Then it'll be a slow and gradual process of refreshing the suspension all around, and gently restoring it cosmetically.

This is not going to be a concourse restoration for a few reasons. For one, budget or lack thereof, but also because I can't imagine anything more frustrating than having a pristine, extremely valuable Williams that I'm scared to use. I want to restore this car to the point where it looks decent, but not show quality, and where it's mechanically sorted enough that I can go and play with it on some Welsh B roads and not worry about stone chips or adding miles on and devaluing it. Basically I wanted a car, not an ornament, so this high mile imperfect nugget is the perfect starting point.

I'll update this thread as progress is made. Really looking forward to bringing this absolute hero car back to running enjoyable order. The drive home was immensely exciting, even with the suspension woes. I've watched Jean Ragnotti throw these things about on grainy 90s video for years and I'm still pinching myself that there's one on my drive!
IMG_20191024_134858.jpg
IMG_20191023_184109.jpg
Screenshot_2019-10-25-18-40-57-744_com.miui.gallery.png
Screenshot_2019-10-25-18-41-12-290_com.miui.gallery.png

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, both have been on my to own list seemingly forever. Will never sell the Trophy, hopefully feel the same way about the Williams a few years down the road!

I always wanted a williams, went to view some but didn't add up at the time I was only 20 I think..

Owned a trophy for a short period, do have an itch for one at some point.

Keep the updates coming mate.

182 Trophy, Williams
Love your plans to use it and not just have it tucked away as an ornament

subscribed!

I understand collectors and speculators, and maybe I'm an idiot (odds are high on that one) but for me the value of using a well sorted car as the engineers intended far outweighs the finacial value of selling it for a huge profit after it's sat gathering dust impotently for years!

182 Trophy, Williams
That looks very tidy for what you paid. You made a good buy and the plans for it are just what it needs, using 👍.

I expected it to be in much worse shape for the money it was advertised at too. The chap knew exactly what it was but needed the space as he restores old fast Fords and I suspect he didn't really have the appetite for the little Frenchy!

182 Trophy, Williams
Really encouraged by the positive responses to this, thanks guys.

Almost didn't post as sometimes enthusiast forums can be very negative and didn't want to upset any Williams aficionados by not doing it "properly". Will keep it updated. :)

My jealousy scale is now broken, lol.

I miss my Valver (on overhauled Williams suspension setup) massively - I almost had a little cry when I had to see it go :(

I've not driven a Trophy unfortunately but the Mk1s, when on top form, are amazing fun - they are just with you all the way, totally up for a laugh, rather than trying to kill you or understeer you 'because safe'.

Make sure to check behind the rear cards to see what the inside of the sills is like, and then you have the common rust points of the rear arches and the rear filler cap area.

Other than that, they are strong, and aren't full of pointless technology that will break and cost you a million pounds to fix, so drive it hard and often - they don't like to stand in my experience!

Now you just need a V6 to complete the 'cars that are difficult/impossible to find parts for' Holy Trinity :LOL: lol

I understand collectors and speculators, and maybe I'm an idiot (odds are high on that one) but for me the value of using a well sorted car as the engineers intended far outweighs the finacial value of selling it for a huge profit after it's sat gathering dust impotently for years!
This.

You can't take it with you!!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Love it. They still look so good. Great proportions and just a cool wee car. I also think the seats in them look immensely comfy

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
epic. my old Williams 3 is definitely the one car I wish I had kept, was on 45k and immaculate. I would love another one, maybe one day. I look forward to following your progress with this one.

Clio 172 Cup
Look amazing Tom congrats always something I have wanted to own . Floyyd has basically rebuilt my cup he will love that when he sees it. Are you you local to four ashes I would to see the Williams ?

cheers

Mark

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice purchase, I still regret all 3 of mine slipping through my fingers over the years. still have 2 mk1's but no Williams' anymore

great outlook for the project too, far too many of these being locked away these days, to see one about to be sympathetically restored to useable condtion with a mindset to do exactly that, and use the darn thing like a car should be used is a breath of fresh air

caps off to you.....and welcome to the dark side of proper Clio ownership

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Mk 1s look so cool, I too wish I'd kept mine. I had a naples Valver and a work mate a William's 2 which up until recently were still on google street view at our workplace. If only I hadnt got shot at the first sight of rust

182 Trophy, Williams
Look amazing Tom congrats always something I have wanted to own . Floyyd has basically rebuilt my cup he will love that when he sees it. Are you you local to four ashes I would to see the Williams ?

cheers

Mark

I'm not particularly local, I'm over in Coventry. I'd been doing the long drive down to K-tec until they very helpfully recommended Floyd at RS Four Ashes. He just did the injectors on my Trophy (about to book it in for a new starter too). I expect the Williams will be spending a bit of time over there in the near future so by all means have a poke around it when it it is...it's a lot shabbier than the photos would lead you to believe!

Clio 172 Cup
I remember being there not so long back and seeing a trophy and floyyd said that the owner had not long bought it wonder if it’s the same car ? He’s been great and done some great work on my cup I use them for everything always had a great service from them

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I'm not particularly local, I'm over in Coventry. I'd been doing the long drive down to K-tec until they very helpfully recommended Floyd at RS Four Ashes. He just did the injectors on my Trophy (about to book it in for a new starter too). I expect the Williams will be spending a bit of time over there in the near future so by all means have a poke around it when it it is...it's a lot shabbier than the photos would lead you to believe!

Your near me, I’m in rugby.
Would love a nose round it when it’s done.

maybe if my Clio is done we can hit a track day at Mallory park as it’s so close

182 Trophy, Williams
Subscribed :)

Can’t beat a Williams project but please get it finished as so many Williams/Valver projects never get finished due to rust/lack of parts/cost.

I'm expecting and planning for rust. There's a few small spots of surface rust on the wings, so far nothing that looks structural and there's no mention of rust on any of the MOT history. Either way I've budgeted for rust purely based on the age of the car so if we find it needs some welding it won't bring the project to a halt.

182 Trophy, Williams
Time for some warts and all photos!

Starter motor on the Trophy failed last night, which will delay getting the Williams over to Floyd by a week since the Trophy gets used and has to take priority. Once it's back though the Williams will be going over to Floyd so he can have a look at it and start to formulate a long and short term plan. The suspension needs sorting immediately as it isn't really safe, but as soon as that's done I'll start driving the car and finding out what is and isn't working.

This post is a brutal assessment of what I already know needs work. As such it might seem a bit negative but in all honesty with what I paid for the car I am yet to find anything that terrifies me. Most of it is cosmetic stuff.

Firstly, some dings which will need pulling out:

IMG_20191029_144837.jpg

IMG_20191029_144853.jpg
IMG_20191029_144931.jpg

Then some delamination on plastic bits: (Note the cable tie securing the grill, the clip on one side has snapped).

IMG_20191029_144915.jpg
IMG_20191029_144958.jpg

Then rust: (Also note the condition of the wheel).

IMG_20191029_145425.jpg
IMG_20191029_145506.jpg

Picture of the sills on both sides:

IMG_20191029_145540.jpg
IMG_20191029_145519.jpg

In general the body is in better shape than I expected for a car of its age, but I expect I will be looking at a little bit of work to sort the rust. It might be possible to pollish the paint up and respray the delaminated bumpers and spoiler, but if an entire paint job is reasonable enough I might end up doing that.

In terms of the mechanicals, nothing to report until Floyd has had a look, other than to say I've been starting it every day (much to all of my neighbours delight) and letting it run for a bit. It always fires up the second you turn the key. It hunts a little bit when cold but settles down to a nice even idle.

I've noticed that the oil level gauge works for the first few minutes and then gives up. The interior fan is either abysmal or just doesn't work, and the central locking and electric window on the passenger side doesn't work.

None of this has taken the excitement out of it. I'm still spending a lot of my time standing outside in the cold staring at it, can't wait to get the suspension sorted and start driving it about.

Ps:

A very pleasant surprise was the insurance. £250 a year from Churchill! I can only imagine car thieves went for Golf GTi's instead because they knew they would start!

I've noticed that the oil level gauge works for the first few minutes and then gives up.
That's how they are supposed to work - ignition on, it displays the oil level, it turns off after a short time.

(or it shows you the oil level after starting - I can't remember now...)

Do keep an eye on oil, though - the F7P/F7R lumps like a drink in my experience. I think I was doing a litre of oil per 1000 miles, which IIRC is within tolerance (!).

182 Trophy, Williams
That's how they are supposed to work - ignition on, it displays the oil level, it turns off after a short time.

(or it shows you the oil level after starting - I can't remember now...)

Do keep an eye on oil, though - the F7P/F7R lumps like a drink in my experience. I think I was doing a litre of oil per 1000 miles, which IIRC is within tolerance (!).

Oh wow, so it isn't broken, the news gets better and better! Thanks very much! I'll keep an eye on levels once it starts being used!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Hunting could be idle valve needing clean, common issue.

Oil level is fine that's what it is supposed to do, no point reading level when all the oil has been pumped up into the engine.

Fan usually it's plug to blower in scuttle that melts, so check that

Door issues if its both window and lock sounds like pinched wiring so check where loom comes out chassis into door.

Rust looks okay tbh, sills will want wire wheel back to metal though to assess fully and arches although not much there it's taken hold so chop out and new metal time to do it right

Overall though, decent purchase, loads of wiggle room in investment to sort it and still be in the money!