ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Steering Column Fitted (16v)

Picked my valver up today after having a new steering column fitted.

I decided against getting it welded and get it done properly and all I can say is wow lol!

The steering really is much much better, no play in it at all now. Well worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, the reason for the post....

Since I've got it back, there seems to be a fair bit more 'engine' noise from the footwell area etc. I seem to hear a lot more noises down there and they even overshadow the KTR zorst which is quite an achievement lol!

So...what's the likely reason? I'm guessing the garage haven't put something back maybe but what?

Thanks

Tom

There's a rubber "grommit" which the column goes through.

It's a SWINE to get on.. and we did it on mine when the engine was out. I think if the engine was in, I'd have given up much quicker! So maybe they did? :p

It's worth getting it on properly though.. noisy feet == bad. :p (it's noisy enough in the car already!)

hmmm so would the column have to come off again to get the grommit on?

It's definately is a bit too noisey inside without it!

Last edited:
  FRST and 106 GTi
I changed a couple of times the steering colum on my RT. Swaped for a valver one when I got the std RT one welded. The valver one went crap in a few miles, just in time to get the RT back.

That rubber is a real pain... but when you do it for the second time will get it done from 30min to 10min lol

It has only one way of going into place and if they have put it upside down, then it may look its ok but it really isnt.
Check on the engine bay if there is any open gap around the rubber. If there is, there you have: fit it properly!