ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New System - Complete Build

Tesla MP3 2021
Following on from http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=407420

Well here it is, my new system, the real Beast!!!! lol :rasp:

Apologies for any crappy pics as I am not a photographer :eek:

Here we go....

Parts arrived...

IMG_7821.jpg

Unboxed...

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

Case - Antec 1200 which is just f**king awesome lol...

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

Massive exhaust fan...

IMG_7828.jpg

Inside...

IMG_7829.jpg

First look at the Asus Rampage II Extreme Mobo...

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

Mobo in case...

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

Corsair HX 1000W PSU...

This is the best PSU I have ever worked with. If you are after a new PSU then it has to be a Corsair :)

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

And here it is the Daddy - Intel Core i7 965 3.20Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition ...

IMG_7837.jpg

Getting very nervious at this stage lol...

IMG_7838.jpg

Nightmare over lol...

IMG_7839.jpg

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366...

IMG_7840.jpg

Slight issue here as the Heatsink needed a back plate so the Mobo had to come back out, no major issue :)...

IMG_7840.jpg

Memory - Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 X 2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel with a Corsair Triple-Channel Airflow Fan...

IMG_7842.jpg

Heatsink on...

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg

GPU - 1792MB EVGA GTX 295, PCI-E 2.0, 1998MHz GDDR3, GPU 576MHz, 480 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/ HDMI w/ Backplate...

IMG_7845.jpg

What a Beast lol...

IMG_7846.jpg

Inside shots...

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

HDD's - 2x were existing SATA II drives but my OS is going on a new Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB...

IMG_7849.jpg

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg

Optical Drives - Nothing new here. DVD Re-Writer and a BD Re-Writer...

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

More inside shots, started to tidy up the cables...

IMG_7854.jpg

IMG_7855.jpg

First boot...

IMG_7856.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

Vista Ultimate x64 has now been installed and OMG it is fooking rapid lol. Yeah yeah I know the HDD is clean and is all frag free etc but I have built a few systems in my time on clean HDD's and never had one this quick before.

Tomorrow I will be running 3DMark Vantage so I will post up my score. After that I plan to Overclock to around 4Ghz.... :)

Thanks for everyone's help and advice, its 1am and Im off to bed lol...

:clown:

Cupra
Pure filth! Nothing worse than seeing something like this... just makes you realise that you are in dire need of an upgrade!

Wow..... enjoy it you lucky bar steward.

Good work man. Not too keen on that memory cooler though. Get gaming asap :approve:

BTW why are you using those nasty molex to PCI-E leads? Does your PSU not have 6 & 8 pin PCI-E?

Looks good, Can you post the spec in here? I cant be bothered to read through the other thread.

Sorry, Now i've sobered up i realised youve put the spec in between the photos.

Looks like a good build. Looks like it might be a bit noisy though!

I like my cases quiet. I chose the Antec p190. Lovely and soundproofed.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
that look serious. nice built looks tidy and good way for cooling, not sure about the coolers on the memory, can't you just use a fan from the front of the case combined with the cpu fan (as an intake) to cool them, might produce better airflow.

same case me, very nice. that big one on the top really does help, took 5 degrees of my last case alone!

get coretemp up on that badboy and start monitoring, be good to find out what you're idling at etc.

BTW why are you using those nasty molex to PCI-E leads? Does your PSU not have 6 & 8 pin PCI-E?

I checked your PSU specs and it does have 6 & 8 pin PCI-E connectors. IMO you should really use these instead of the molex adaptors. If only for the reason that the wiring around the gfx will be far tidier. Not meaning to pick at your build, but it's definitely an obvious wiring error IMO.

Tesla MP3 2021
Thanks for all the comments :)

I will be doing further tesing tonight i.e will be getting Prime95 on the go, 3DMark Vantage etc and I will post up some figures :)

Tesla MP3 2021
I checked your PSU specs and it does have 6 & 8 pin PCI-E connectors. IMO you should really use these instead of the molex adaptors. If only for the reason that the wiring around the gfx will be far tidier. Not meaning to pick at your build, but it's definitely an obvious wiring error IMO.

Roy your completely right. Massive overlook by me on the PCI-E front :dapprove:.

First thing I will be doing tonight is getting that changed over, still cant beleieve I didnt even click when I was installing the GPU :eek:.

Thanks again for your keen eye.

Tesla MP3 2021
I will also see what my temps are and have a play around with benching with and without the Memory Cooler attached.

It may be an idea to pop a 120mm fan on the side pannel as this would be right on top of the memory anyway.

I will see how things go.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
FLOL @ all the fans... heat pipes FTW.

my PC has ONE fan (on the processor). its a AMD Phenom Black edition quad core, so dont really need to overclock it. PSU has one huge slow fan, so that is silent too.

i love how quiet it is tho, u press the power button and there is no noise... :D having two 500GB SATAII drives raided helps as well - never get any noise from them either :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
sweet, I'd love to blow a load of cash on a new build again also, but I just don't feel the games are there for it.

A4 Avant
Very nice Adam! It's scary that so much money only comes in a few small boxes.

Everytime I read the other thread I fire up ebuyer and overclockers. Must resist!

I was a bit depressed by my poverty spec rig, when I looked over this thread. However, I've just tried Crysis out for the first time since the upgrade. Very High - 1920x1200 - 2xAA. Between 50 & 60 fps (vsync) in the opening level - so I feel a little bit better now :eek: (TheBeast3 choked with any AA and that was at 1680x1050, and even without AA, the fps was still lower)

The GTX295 is a f**king weapons grade graphics card. FACT. I have a feeling that mine is sometimes left waiting for data. That's not going to be happening with your CPU :D

Everytime I read the other thread I fire up ebuyer and overclockers. Must resist!

Do it. Do it. Do it.

I know what you mean though. This cnut is making me want to go i7 extreme. I could build TheBeast4 right now for only an additional £1200. Probably worth at least 5fps in Crysis :D

Nothing at the mo :(
lol, you got the exaact same case as me when i did my pc build lol. tip on the case.

Put the fans to low speed cause high speed so toooo noisy :) But exactly case.. they collect alot of dust on the front fans

Tesla MP3 2021
FLOL @ all the fans... heat pipes FTW.

my PC has ONE fan (on the processor). its a AMD Phenom Black edition quad core, so dont really need to overclock it. PSU has one huge slow fan, so that is silent too.

i love how quiet it is tho, u press the power button and there is no noise... :D having two 500GB SATAII drives raided helps as well - never get any noise from them either :)

You will be supprised how quite the case runs on the low setting :). TBH having a "silent" system doesnt bother ne. At least with some noise you know its working lol.

Tesla MP3 2021

Haha just do it :p. Scant FTW though, I saved over £70 on the same parts compaired to Overclockers.

Tesla MP3 2021
lol, you got the exaact same case as me when i did my pc build lol. tip on the case.

Put the fans to low speed cause high speed so toooo noisy :) But exactly case.. they collect alot of dust on the front fans

only thing is mine is getting watercooled in a few weeks :phmmm gota love water cooling

watercool that b!tch

Fans are on low at present and I am happy with the noise level, going to monitor temps etc. The dust is better on the fan filters than inside the system. When I sell my old system I may look into Watercooling as I want to push the CPU/Mobo to around 4.1Ghz :)

Last edited:
BTW. After an hour of hard gaming, the case will be the least of your concerns. The GTX295 is a quiet gfx card at idle, but once under extreme load, it does pick up a bit :eek:

It's a biblical card. I just piled 8xAA into FarCry 2, and it didn't drop a single frame :D

Must resist i7...must resist :(

Tesla MP3 2021
I was a bit depressed by my poverty spec rig, when I looked over this thread. However, I've just tried Crysis out for the first time since the upgrade. Very High - 1920x1200 - 2xAA. Between 50 & 60 fps (vsync) in the opening level - so I feel a little bit better now :eek: (TheBeast3 choked with any AA and that was at 1680x1050, and even without AA, the fps was still lower)

The GTX295 is a f**king weapons grade graphics card. FACT. I have a feeling that mine is sometimes left waiting for data. That's not going to be happening with your CPU :D

Yours is hardly "poverty spec" lol. That is some nice FPS, I cant wait to get Crysis installed :)

Tesla MP3 2021
BTW. After an hour of hard gaming, the case will be the least of your concerns. The GTX295 is a quiet gfx card at idle, but once under extreme load, it does pick up a bit :eek:

It's a biblical card. I just piled 8xAA into FarCry 2, and it didn't drop a single frame :D

Must resist i7...must resist :(

Well I have yet to push the GPU yet as you know and esp making such a school boy error on the cable front that is the first thing I will be sorting out when I get back in.

You know you cant resist.......:rasp:

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
That is one nice dam rig!

Wish I had a bit more income, an i7 rig is top of my shopping list atm...

Once I get on my placement year (this year once I secure a placement!) I'll be shelling out on new kit..... look forward to it :)

JEALOUS!

P.S. I broke my HD4870 earlier this year :(

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
GPU has now been sorted and did a bit more cable tidying :)...

Just about to run 3DMark and then do some OC'ng

Few Pics...

CIMG2226.jpg

CIMG2227.jpg

CIMG2228.jpg

CIMG2229.jpg

CIMG2230.jpg

172 Cup
Nice...

Obviously not jealous at all...

Much.

Edit - All I'll say is the CPU choice seems a little OTT. The I7 920 can easily reach the same overclock tolerance as the massively more expensive I7 965. IIRC they both reach circa 4.4ghz.

Last edited:
The extreme chips do tend to be more likely to OC higher TBH. However, what sets them apart is the unlocked multi, meaning you have a bit more flexibilty with OCing and can go for straight away for big speeds without having to OC the board too much. Otherwise yeah I tend to agree a 920 is probably a better choice on a budget. More is always better though :D

172 Cup
The extreme chips do tend to be more likely to OC higher TBH. However, what sets them apart is the unlocked multi, meaning you have a bit more flexibilty with OCing and can go for straight away for big speeds without having to OC the board too much. Otherwise yeah I tend to agree a 920 is probably a better choice on a budget. More is always better though :D

True but £840 verses £220 (average retail price of the Extreme compared with the 920) for the same end result* once clocked (given the board and other components in the aforementioned system) I know which I'd go with.

* - Merely based on what I've read/witnessed which shows the 920 and 965 are both capable of 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 ghz using the right board/memory which the OP is.

Like I said I jealous anyway. I just can't see the justification of a £600 outlay where it's not necessary or advantageous.