ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New System - Complete Build

TBH I'm reading that i7 can run pretty damn hot. Most sources are saying keep it under 80. The tjmax is 100 btw. Set your tjmax to 100 in realtemp and monitor it for a while. It might take a few heat cycles for the paste to 'cook-in' anyway. What did you use? How much did you use? You only want the finest smear.

As far as cleaning goes - I always just use a piece of toilet paper to clean the old stuff off :eek:

I think I'm going to order a new HSF next week, and lap both the processor and the new HSF. I already know my QX will sail past 4Ghz as long as I can keep it cool enough.

Tesla MP3 2021
TBH I'm reading that i7 can run pretty damn hot. Most sources are saying keep it under 80. The tjmax is 100 btw. Set your tjmax to 100 in realtemp and monitor it for a while. It might take a few heat cycles for the paste to 'cook-in' anyway. What did you use? How much did you use? You only want the finest smear.

As far as cleaning goes - I always just use a piece of toilet paper to clean the old stuff off :eek:

I think I'm going to order a new HSF next week, and lap both the processor and the new HSF. I already know my QX will sail past 4Ghz as long as I can keep it cool enough.

Yeah like I say I think 85 is sort of the limit but it did start to creep over that as well :(. I used Arctic Silver 5 but I went with the finger method - finger in sandwich bag and smooth a thin layer across the whole CPU. Arctic themselves stated to only put a small horizontal line across the cores and then let the heat sink spread it once it screwed in place.

I do remember I accidentally "moved" the heatsink when I was to the final things in the case and I have a feeling there are some nasty air bubbles in there :(.

Arctic do a cleaning kit for about £6 but other wise I need rubbing alocohol with either some coffee filters or a glasses lense cleaner.

Is the tjmax set correctly though? If not, then your readings will not be accurate. You need to be confident that the readings are as accurate as possible.

Yeah AS5 on quads should be the thin line with a slight twist once mated.

EDIT: ok. 85 is way too hot. Have you undervolted yet? You'd be surprised how much you can lower the vcore before it becomes unstable. Undervolting will massively reduce temps. Keep dropping it down - when it's too low you'll get core failures very early on in a Prime run. Then up it slightly until it's stable again.

Tesla MP3 2021
Is the tjmax set correctly though? If not, then your readings will not be accurate. You need to be confident that the readings are as accurate as possible.

Yeah AS5 on quads should be the thin line with a slight twist once mated.

EDIT: ok. 85 is way too hot. Have you undervolted yet? You'd be surprised how much you can lower the vcore before it becomes unstable. Undervolting will massively reduce temps. Keep dropping it down - when it's too low you'll get core failures very early on in a Prime run. Then up it slightly until it's stable again.

Here is how Real Temp is now...

temps.jpg

Is this right??

Yes I have lowered the vcore but I don't think by enough. I may have a quick play now and take it lower.

Well, I'm no realtemp guru but AFAIK if the tjmax is set correctly, then that's accurate enough.

Definitely reduce the vcore until it starts failing in Prime95. Then, though, you may decide to overclock more...it's always a fine balancing act. Definitely not easy once you start getting involved in voltages.

Juts run it at stock for a while and play some f**king games! ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Well, I'm no realtemp guru but AFAIK if the tjmax is set correctly, then that's accurate enough.

Definitely reduce the vcore until it starts failing in Prime95. Then, though, you may decide to overclock more...it's always a fine balancing act. Definitely not easy once you start getting involved in voltages.

Juts run it at stock for a while and play some f**king games! ;)

Sound :)

Yeah tell me about it, I spent nearly 3 hours last night trying to find tune a few different oc setup's lol.

Ha-ha yeah yeah I hear ya. Installed Crysis before but cant seem to get it running yet. Its a different copy if you know what I mean ;)....

Naughty boy. You can get the Crysis mega-pack from Steam for very little monies. That pack includes Crysis, Crysis Warhead & Crysis Wars. Well worth investing a few quid in TBH.

Steam is awesome. The best way to buy and organise games :approve:

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Thats some clever stuff.... GEEKS lol. Seriously though, Build looks like a monster, Great job.

Tesla MP3 2021
Naughty boy. You can get the Crysis mega-pack from Steam for very little monies. That pack includes Crysis, Crysis Warhead & Crysis Wars. Well worth investing a few quid in TBH.

Steam is awesome. The best way to buy and organise games :approve:

Haha indeed lol. Yeah I might have to go down that route if I cant get it working!!

Tesla MP3 2021
Ok slight improvement with temps dropping the vcore to 1.25. I will try and take that a bit lower. I know my threshold is somewhere between 1.2 and 1.25 as anything lower than 1.2 brings BSOD!

oc3-stress.jpg

Still going to re-set the heat sink though.

:eek:

BTW, the 'recommended' thermal spec for your CPU is max 68c. Under 80c you should be fine but, don't expect it to last 10 years 24/7 at those temps :D

Tesla MP3 2021
:eek:

BTW, the 'recommended' thermal spec for your CPU is max 68c. Under 80c you should be fine but, don't expect it to last 10 years 24/7 at those temps :D

Thanks for that, I have ordered the Arctic cleaning product things so I will re-set my heatsink when that comes and hopefully my temps will improve.

If not Watercooling here we come... :star:

I wouldn't mind getting in to it. I have a feeling TheBeast4 will be running on water. It's a whole topic on its own though. Lots to learn if you're building a custom setup...which of course you will be ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
I wouldn't mind getting in to it. I have a feeling TheBeast4 will be running on water. It's a whole topic on its own though. Lots to learn if you're building a custom setup...which of course you will be ;)

Indeed it is. So many questions lol.

I found this guy who knows his stuff and he has put a rad inside an Antec 1200.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjharlow

Just need to sort out what I need for CPU cooling only!

So. Have you actually played any games yet? Get your freak on!

You have the whole world of epic PC games just waiting to be played. I'm so enjoying FarCry 2 at the moment. I've started Crysis Warhead and FEAR 2. I still have Dead Space to carry on with. Fallout 3 to START. Cod WaW to get into. The list just goes on. Crazy times. PC gaming has never been better if you invested in the machinary.

Yeah I know :eek:

I don't actually own the game yet, but I'll be buying it over Steam, and I have a 20mb pipe, so it's no major deal. I've been holding it off because I just have so many other games to play! :D

Tesla MP3 2021
So. Have you actually played any games yet? Get your freak on!

You have the whole world of epic PC games just waiting to be played. I'm so enjoying FarCry 2 at the moment. I've started Crysis Warhead and FEAR 2. I still have Dead Space to carry on with. Fallout 3 to START. Cod WaW to get into. The list just goes on. Crazy times. PC gaming has never been better if you invested in the machinary.

Haha no not yet. I will install a few later. Still cant get Crysis working :( Might try Warhead.

To start?!?!?

Mr Meldrew I'm disappointed. Get your act together and get on with it!!!

PS - Health warning.. It's very addictive. Be prepared to lose all track of time while playing it.

Fallout 3 is the only game I wont be playing on the PC as I have it on the 360 and already playing through the latest DLC (The Pitt)

Yeah I know :eek:

I don't actually own the game yet, but I'll be buying it over Steam, and I have a 20mb pipe, so it's no major deal. I've been holding it off because I just have so many other games to play! :D

Tell me about it, I have games coming out of every oriphus (sp) lol

Tesla MP3 2021
Right here is my WC spec...

Watercool HeatKiller CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1076

Laing DDC 18w Pump / Swiftech MCP355
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=181

XSPC Laing DDC Top with Reservoir
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=515

ThermoChill PA120.3
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=41_98&products_id=153

XSPC 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD Clear tubing - 10 feet to allow for any wastage
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=815

Swiftech RadBox MCB-120 Revision 2 - Black
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=169

Chilled PC can but the barbs on before they send out the parts so I will just add that when I order. Going for 1/2" fittings.

Feser One - F1 - Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE 1ltr
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=197

Just need to decide on fans now.

I'm running warhead at Gamer, with a few things on Enthusiast. It all plays fine on max, but I'm too fussy about framerates.