ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to detailing, need some guidance.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Right then,

Having owned the LY for a few months now I'm wanting to give it a good old clean up. I am very new to detailing and I'm wanting some guidance on what is going to best to use but without breaking the bank.

I am fine with washing/cleaning its more the polishing, waxing, sealing side of things I'd like some advice on.

I'm not wanting to get to serious and over complicate things but I'm basically wanting to shine up the Liquid Yellow and give it some decent protection. I'm already set on giving a good wash, foam and I'm going to buy some IronX also, but this is where I get stuck. What polish, wax etc to use?

Whilst keeping it simple could you possible point me in the right direction for any decent products for me to use? As said I don't want to spend a fortune , just a decent priced product that does a good job.

Thanks,
Mark

e92 330i
Hi mate, have a looknat the auto finese range. They have a few new products like tough prep/seal.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Read the guides ;)

Don't go mental to start with. Get a few things from CYC or i4D and see how you get on. There's enough threads in this section asking the same thing on a weekly basis :rasp:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Did they have my old LY bonnet on the stand again?

My LY 182 looked it's best with auto finesse tripple and passion wax. If you have a good wash technique then get an iron and tar remover, give it a going over with tripple then top with auto finesse tough coat sealant, couldn't be easier or much cheaper

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

My LY 182 looked it's best with auto finesse tripple and passion wax. If you have a good wash technique then get an iron and tar remover, give it a going over with tripple then top with auto finesse tough coat sealant, couldn't be easier or much cheaper

haha, yes they did, I offered to buy it haha!

partybish

ClioSport Club Member
I've always found Autoglym Super Resin Polish very good as a first or second stage polish and Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax gives a very nice finish on top (plus it's not too pricey). Halfords had some good deals on these from time to time. The Autoglym High Definition Wax is great but quite pricey.

Definitely run a search on 'liquid yellow' on detailingworld as no doubt someone will have checked out a number of combinations to find the best one for your paintwork.

BMW E46 330i Touring
AF Tough Coat can be used over Tripple instead of the wax mate. Won't get quite the same 'wow' factor but it will still show the paintwork off in a good light.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Ive sunflower yellow and best thing I just used was chemical guys ez creme glaze. Use it after polish and yellow really pings

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Why do they have your old bonnet lol?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Autoglym products will do a fine job, but you certainly won't bring out the potential of LY. And I used SRP and HD wax for some time. As said a base of tripple, topped with tough coat sealant. If you want to stick to a nice to use wax then try Vics collectors yellow wax or dodo juice orange crush wax, initially give a very nice finish but not all that durable, expect them to last 6weeks to 2months before they are past there best but fairly cheap and easy to apply a 2nd coat. The af waxes are expensive but certainly perform well. Don't use 476 wax on it as it really muted the flake of LY and due to it being solvent heavy is likely to remove some of the tripple, or tough coat, that is under.it during application

You wouldn't want that bonnet mate, they managed to put a dent in it after I first gave it to them, then I was wet sanding and trying out heavy compounds and pads on it. I had it spare when I noticed some moisture lifting the seal and paint on the underside when it was still in warranty, so I got a new bonnet and they let me keep my old one so I practised polishing on it, then gave it to AF for there training days

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I recently used the Collinite but found it dulled my finish a little from where my polish and glaze had reached.

Dodo banana amour wax has since given a better result

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems I need to order some IronX, AF Tripple, AF tough coat then.

I have just used BF GEP followed by BF AFPP and I must say they are brilliant such a good combo. They really brought the flake out in the Cup.