ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to renaults... Few questions

Hopefully someone can help here, just bought a lovely 53 reg 172 cup in blue with 56k miles and after owning it for 2 days I'm loving it (apart from the fuel bills). But when I come to a halt like at traffic lights or when I arrive at home after 20 seconds or so the engine develops a ticking or knocking sound. The way I can describe this is like a slight tappet or injector "ticking" noise.

Heard about the dephaser pulley making that noise but don't know whether my warranty from garage will cover this.

It's probably me scaring myself because I've just bought the car and can get very "particular" with noises and rattles as they annoy me.

Is it a serious thing or do some of you with 172's live with it? Could it be the exhaust manifold ticking because it's kind of a four branch?

172 Cup
They do tend to be quite tappety engines by nature and don't have the most smooth of idles. I drove my car for about 8 montsh with dephaser pulley noise before getting it changed out when my belts were due. Do you know if car has had a recent oil/filter change? That would be the first ting I would try if concerened!

Yes just had a service but I think some better quality oil might be needed, what's recommended?

I only got suspicious because it runs fine and then the tapping starts but dissapears on load.

Thanks

Evo 8 MR
I'd guess at dephaser judging from the symptoms but I'm by no means a mechanic or an expert.