ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New TV - 4K, 1080?

Inferno 182 CUP
I need a new TV and I need it today .. so has to be in stock for reservation at my local Currys.

Now budget started at about £500 looking for a 40/42 inch but decided I could probably squeeze 48 in so maybe opting for that instead with a £700

However now thinking this TV is an investment should I go for 4K and stretch to £900 ish?

Help :(

172 ph1
Dont buy a 4k. Dont waste your money. Dont be sold that it upscales to 4k either. That one you have reserved look ok. cant go wrong with a samsung.

2014 Focus Titanium
Honestly 4k tvs arent worth the money. It will be a good 5 years until 4k is mainstream.
Whilst I agree there isn't much content at the moment I think you're claim of 5 years before it becomes mainstream is massively wrong, I reckon within two years we'll have it.

Firstly, netflix, youtube and other services have already started with 4k, secondly, the rate at which BT are rolling out FTTC in the UK has increased so that even people in the countryside should start getting speeds of 10mb/20mb+, therefore capable of streaming (compressed) 4k. Not to mention how fast speeds are in major cities now with fibre (100mb). Iirc Sky have also been rolling out new satallites over the past year to get ready for 4k.

I haven't done any research on TVs so can't offer any advice on which one to get but I definitely wouldn't be writing off 4k, if there's a decent 4k TV in your budget then you'd be a fool not to go for it for future-proofing alone. (I have no idea if you can get 4k for that, as said).

172 ph1
Maybe, but we will see. (the same was said about 3d, that caught on well) Netflix are starting to show 4k stuff. however not everyone has at least 25mb broadband which is the minimum. Also its not just about sending it out in 4k, the content needs to filmed in it to make it worth while. I work in the industry and whilst the use of 4k is increasing its not yet the standard. You are correct to make sure when spending a lot of money on a tv to make sure its future proof. However £1000 4k tv isnt going to be very good. You can easily spend this on a 1080p 50" tv.

Nippy white cup
I got mine from Argos £499 46inch Samsung 3D full hd. Well pleased with it and only thing it doesn't have is the smart tv which would be useless for me with everything covered on xbone and sky on demand pretty much

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I reserved mine when it was £649 yesterday its gone up to £699 today .. My local JL have none in stock tried that first lol hence Currys.

The currys model I linked above is a Currys exclusive .. a good googling showed its identical to the JL model just has a diff product number.

This is the 4K I was looking at

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...rt-3d-4k-ultra-hd-49-led-tv-10001876-pdt.html
I couldn't face buying a TV from curry's when I knew I'd get a 5 year warranty for the same thing from JL.

Go for a bit of a drive and get one from John lewis that has stock :D

2014 Focus Titanium
Maybe, but we will see. (the same was said about 3d, that caught on well) Netflix are starting to show 4k stuff. however not everyone has at least 25mb broadband which is the minimum. Also its not just about sending it out in 4k, the content needs to filmed in it to make it worth while. I work in the industry and whilst the use of 4k is increasing its not yet the standard. You are correct to make sure when spending a lot of money on a tv to make sure its future proof. However £1000 4k tv isnt going to be very good. You can easily spend this on a 1080p 50" tv.
3D never took off because ultimately people don't want to wear glasses and there's no efficient way of projecting it without. But yeah I can't comment on the quality of 4k TVs because I've never really looked!

Inferno 182 CUP
TBH 4K in currys last night looked bloody good on some TV sets .. some looked average ... some looked sublime!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd rather have a 55" HD than a 4k 42". Size counts on TVs!

Inferno 182 CUP
I had a 51" the reason I've changed is it doesn't fit in my new living room lol the bezel is so thick I needed a TV under 110cm wide!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A 51" tv doesn't fit? Do you live in a cupboard?

Inferno 182 CUP
No it needs to go in an alcove both Of which are less than 115cm wide, my current TV is 121cm the room is almost 4m square but ha a large chimney breast [emoji106]

2014 Focus Titanium
I also have a 4x4m room and I ripped put my fireplace so that my TV could go there and my speakers in either corner. We only used the fire two or three times a year so AV positioning was more important to me!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
the 4K tv's in currys (especially the one with he curved screen) look bloody brilliant imo. Its what I would buy if I needed another TV; as it is i'm a projector man so am on the lookout for a reasonably price 4K PJ! :)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
So the general consensus is not to bother with 4k yet then? I want to splash out on a fancy TV for my new place but don't want to buy a 4k if it's not worth it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
So the general consensus is not to bother with 4k yet then? I want to splash out on a fancy TV for my new place but don't want to buy a 4k if it's not worth it.
imo its worth it PROVIDED its a big screen and you actually sit close enough to watch it (i.e thx specifications - 1.5x the screen width away). imo even upscaled 1080p source material looks brilliant. The basic upscale technique is interpolation followed with sharpening, so it does look better than plain 1080p! The colors are also s**t hot.

Inferno 182 CUP
Well this new TV is beautiful. Toy Story 3 is absolutely stunning on Blu Ray, animation films look better than Frozen Planet and similar. Really impressed with picture quality! Very very nice! And that's out the box un optimised!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Do you think there will ever be a physical medium for 4K? I'm not really into streaming or downloading... I love a real collection, that's why I go for Blu-Ray's. Can't see me moving away from that. 4K Netflix or whatever could be interesting but my experience of streaming even non-HD stuff isn't great.

Mito Sportiva 135
I was going to get 4K but decided not to - very expensive at the moment for a good set and will takes years before it takes off. I am confident it will be adopted in time, unlike 3D, but probably not for a few years.

Not all channels are even HD yet, and many that are still aren't 1080p