ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New valves, verdict

340i
Buy cheap, buy twice.. or in the case of pattern part valves three or four times over from the damage they could cause if you have a failure.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Buy supertechs, although I have my old valves that came out of my head.

Inferno 182FF
So a no no then? Thiught if they were OE would be fine but guess I'll just bite the bullet!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Even the Renault valves are known to drop thats why ive gone supertech.

Inferno 182FF
Well I'm going with catcams springs and I've increased the valve clearance on the pistons by 1mm all round as well. I'm only running 428's so not massive lift.

Well I'm going with catcams springs and I've increased the valve clearance on the pistons by 1mm all round as well. I'm only running 428's so not massive lift.

Why have you done that? Just lowered the compression for no added performance...

Also cat cam springs are needless on a standard engine with such mild cams.

I've seen no end of failures on aftermarket valves.

Also Renault Will supply new valves. They have to. EU Law states you must be able to buy any part for 10 years after production iirc.

Inferno 182FF
Because that's the reason the valve snapped, 4/8 of the inlet valves had been hitting the cylinders, and the amount of metal actually removed is negligible tbh.

Re the springs, OE springs from Renault are more expensive than the catcams ones so thought it would do no harm getting them.

I agree about the valves as well, would prefer to get ones that don't knack up so I don't have to do all this again but atm can't afford supertech with everything else atm.

I'll have to try ringing them and get a quote, if it's not far off supertech I may as well go for them. Iirc you got them direct from USA cheaper?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I buy mine from supertech direct, very cheap stateside but the problem is the postage is about 100 dollars so only really works out well for a few sets.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have my old valves out of my 49k head if you want to buy them?

Better than some un-known crap.

Only removed as i have Supertechs.

Because that's the reason the valve snapped, 4/8 of the inlet valves had been hitting the cylinders, and the amount of metal actually removed is negligible tbh.

Re the springs, OE springs from Renault are more expensive than the catcams ones so thought it would do no harm getting them.

I agree about the valves as well, would prefer to get ones that don't knack up so I don't have to do all this again but atm can't afford supertech with everything else atm.

I'll have to try ringing them and get a quote, if it's not far off supertech I may as well go for them. Iirc you got them direct from USA cheaper?

No the reason it snapped was through someone not being able to time it up properly.

I can supply supertech's at £360

Last edited:
  Inferno 182FF
Ha ha I wish. At the moment my main priority it to get it on the road. One day I might build a forced induction or high comp engine!

Also on the back of this, when re fitting the dephaser is there a particular way it needs to go on just I cant find anything about it in any of the mechanics guides or on here so I'm assuming it don't matter, although there is what looks like a guide on the outer?!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you lowered the compression to improve valve clearance because someone couldn't time it up properly? are you planning on timing it up wrong this time too I assume?