ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New York - Feb 2009 (pic heavy)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Fantastic!

So, where do people get their canvas prints done? (I know photobox do them)

Tappd'd RS
Deary me - makes my recent pics of New York look rather sh*t! :)

Awesome work Chris.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
None of the pics will load for me. Why does ths forum do this to me sometimes....:(

Fiat Panda 100hp
Is this the building Will Smith chases an alien in Men in Black??

478614113_UKLDC-M.jpg

Mondeo ST220
Chris, some amazing photos. In fact, they all are.

I went to the U.S and Canada last summer shortly after getting my D40 and I was learning more and more whilst over there. Wish I had spent more time learning the camera before going because I was dissapointed with a lot of the shots. Good excuse to go back to all the places though I suppose.

Seeing pictures like yours inspires me to learn more and keep on snapping. Especially as you say your self taught! Any tips for learning and building knowledge up? I've bought a couple of books including "Understanding Exposure".

Anyway, amazing pictures. You have a talent, don't think I've ever seen better shots of New York.

Seeing pictures like yours inspires me to learn more and keep on snapping. Especially as you say your self taught! Any tips for learning and building knowledge up? I've bought a couple of books including "Understanding Exposure".

Anyway, amazing pictures. You have a talent, don't think I've ever seen better shots of New York.

I'm probably the worst person to ask about learning, as I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to the ins and outs of photography (I've flicked through Understanding Exposure a few times, it's as foreign to me now as it was the day I bought my first camera, but for most I fully appreciate that it's a cracking learning tool), I just look around, see a shot that might work, and then take the photo...If you see somebody stood on Brooklyn Bridge with a tripod, light meter etc, you know they're a photographer, but you could have walked past me and not picked me out from any other tourist, I'm ashamed to say I still can't read the histogram on the back of my camera.

I guess one thing that I can say that's definitely a valid point though..."take photos"...as practice is what it's all about. It just takes time, I've made a lot of mistakes but you learn from them. That's the beauty of digital, plonk your camera down in front of the Brooklyn Bridge, 8sec, f20. Too dark? Up the shutter speed or reduce the aperture a bit. Gradually all the knowledge sinks in, and the next time you're shooting at night you get closer and closer to a shot you're happy with first time.

I think that's the Guggenheim?

Yes it is, no idea if it's in Men in Black, though.

Mondeo ST220
That's reassurring because I don't understand majority of it either and can't get my head around some things.

I took thousands when I went on holiday and definately feel the benefits for doing so.

I'm off to NY at Easter, do you know if you're allowed tripods up the ESB and TOTR? I'm pretty sure last time I went they were extremely weird about it all...

I'm off to NY at Easter, do you know if you're allowed tripods up the ESB and TOTR? I'm pretty sure last time I went they were extremely weird about it all...

I'm guessing not, it's pretty busy up there at Easter so they probably wouldn't want people tripping over tripod legs etc.

Easy to work around that anyhow, I didn't use anything apart from walls/railings and managed to fire off 15sec exposures comfortably. Just be creative!

Moonlight Blue 225
They are class pics mate ive been 5 times and i cant get enough of the place.

What camera/ settings did you use?

John

The 10.5mm Fisheye got loads of (over)use, it was bought specifically for the trip and is being sold now, so wanted to get the most of it.

Just as a little update, put the Fisheye up for sale this evening at 8:30, sold by just gone 9pm to the first of 3 requests for it.

Depreciation? 0%. Sold for exactly what I paid for it and tbh could have probably profited considering how much interest their was.

Worth remembering if you are ever tempted to try one out, cheaper than hiring one!

Just saw the thread on TP - looks like you should be in for some quick sales.

I never settle with equipment for long, even stuff I love such as the 50-150. Should get me well on the way to finally getting a decent car again though, once that's done I will consolidate with something like a Nikon 105mm 2.8 Micro, which will be a nice balance between losing the 50mm and 50-150.

A silver Honda
Just seen this thread, worthy of a bump!

Some stunning captures. Love the school bus one lol