ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie stupid question - how do I tell if my 182 has Cup chassis and/or suspension?

Clio 182
Guys, really dumb question I know but I bought a 2004 182 from a dealer who himself didn't seem to know very much about the car. I discovered when I got it home that it had a k-tech sports exhaust and a B&M short shift gear lever (I did spot this when I bought it:)), neither of which he pointed out to me although to his credit he did spot the sub-woofer in the boot.

I've always assumed it was a base 182, I didn't actually want a Cup because I'd read the suspension was really hard on the Cup and at the time I had serious back problems. Anyway I was reading the 182 buying guide in the March edition of Evo and it said in there that the Cups came with graphite wheels, which my car has. So based on this and the fact that the suspension on the car is harder than a very hard thing it got me wondering as to whether it is a Cup. Can anyone tell me how to establish whether it has the Cup suspension and/or chassis?

I'm not hugely concerned either way because I love the car as it is, I bought it as my daily runner as my weekend toy is one of Blackpools finest but the Clio is just such a hoot to drive.

Anyway any advice gratefully recieved.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Re: Newbie stupid question - how do I tell if my 182 has Cup chassis and/or suspensio

General rule of thumb is grey wheels = cup suspension.

Lots of cars have been messed about with now though so unless you start measuring stuff underneath the car, you'll never be 100%.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Newbie stupid question - how do I tell if my 182 has Cup chassis and/or suspensio

as dan said rule of thumb is grey wheels suspension pack. front splitter although most are missing and bigger spolier mean you have spoiler cup pack.

on a side note dan did you ring bravo back

Clio 182

Thanks guys, based on graphite wheels and very hard suspension I'll assume it has the Cup suspension pack

If you do want to get technical or 100% sure remove a front wheel and measure the bolt spacing on the hub. Cup suspension is 54mm IIRC.

Did you get the original invoice from renault? If so it should say "suspension pack - £225" somewhere in the middle of the page.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

Dont get confused with CUP CAR & Cup packs-

Only 182 CUPS which is the poverty spec come in blue & orange & have a cheap interior & no climate orXenons-

Your Cup packs

Are suspension & Alloys

& cup Spoiler-

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/3030/3030429-5.jpg Cup Spoiler

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2916/2916933-6.jpg NON cup Spoiler

if you have the front black splitter-
http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2989/2989654-4.jpg Thats even better although £20 gets you a replacement from Skoda

Steve

S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Sure fire way is to measure the bolt holes where the strut bolts to the hub. Should read 60mm. Will have to whip a front wheel off though.

23062007051.jpg

Clio 182

Just jack it up, squeeze under and measure the distance like the picture above, or get it on a ramp..

ITB'd 172 Cup

call renault with the chassis number?