ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Wheel Fitment Advice Needed.

Hello All,

Im a newbie when it comes to car modding...so could use some advice.

I have a Renault Clio 1.4RT R Reg (new shape) and i want to change the standard steel wheels to alloys. The size of the steel wheels on the car at the moment are 165/70/ R13, i have the oppertunity of a set of 15" alloys as fitted on 2002 Dymanique/Extreme clio models, the size of these wheels are 185/55/15, will these fit ok on my car??

Can somebody explain what the numbers acually mean?

Im not to good with wheel fitment as im just starting off with modding, any advice would be great.

Ive had a look about on the web, but there isnt much info on whell fitment.

Thanks for any help.

clioower1

6/468 17poo

basically the width of the tyre will be 185, the width from wheel to edge of tyre also known as the profile will be 55 and the size of the wheel will be 15. the larger the profile the less vibrations u will get and it will be a smoother ride but if u get a lower profile it will be more bumpy but better traction i fink!lower profile tyres are usually more expensive only if u get a bargin!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

165 is the width of the tyre, 70 is 70% of the width is the height of the sidewalls, and 13 well thats inchs of the wheel.

lower the % of width the lower the profile.

the wheels should fit on yours.

Lionel Richie

ok firstly the 185/55/15 reffers to the trye size

185 is the width in mm (i think)

and the 55 is the side wall profile (its a % of the width IIRC)

15 is the size of the wheel in inches

The Dynamique wheels will fit, but you might need spacers, but i doubt it

Thanks all for your help and replying ,

Fred2001Dynamic, whats a spacer look like and where on wheel is it fitted ??

When i measure my Steel wheels i get 14" from edge to edge? The size reported on the tyre is 13"??? which is the size of my wheels?

Lionel Richie

a wheel spacer is a flat metal disc with 4 holes in it, it sits behind the wheel against the brake disc and brings the wheel further out from the car (basic explanation!!!!!)

ET = offset of wheel

youve measured your wheels from edge to edge, which isnt the true dia of the wheel yours are 13s. Its hard to explain the true diameter of the wheel (remember a tyre has to be srecthed to get it on the wheel)