ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newport to Rhayader - Sunday 6th April - 200+ miles of tarmac.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Open to all CS members and forum users regardless of location!

Meet @11am Sunday 6th of April.
Tesco, Newport retail estate
(NP19 4TX for sat-nav users)
Leave for Rhayader via Pontypool, Brecon, Landovery and Builth Wells + more @11:30am.

Link to a map of the days route

http://goo.gl/maps/ULGwi

The route it taking in some of the nicest roads wales has to offer including a run down the Black Mountain pass and back up, a famous road used by Top gear and other automotive shows/mags. The route is a mix of A and B roads with plenty of sharp bends, off camber corners, uphills, downhills and if fast enough...jumps. 216 miles in all.

There's plenty of chances to stop and refuel through out the day along with plenty of places for some damn good eatings.

Whether you have a weekend track toy, some boosted beast or a simple 1.2 run about, these roads are damn fine regardless of your speed. Others members can vouch for that fact. The day is not about speed, it's all about good roads good cars and good people. Though you are welcome to go at your own pace

We'll finish the route back in Abergavenny bus stop (cafe does some awesome grub) and from there you can either hang about and shoot the sh*t, head off home, or find yourself some fresh tarmac to eat up!

**To anyone intending on coming along I am not trying to be a killjoy but PLEASE make sure your car is in a road worthy condition and that your insurance, mot and tax is up to date.

Police do patrol these roads so anyone with a dodgy car or speeding will be doing so at there own risk! :nono:
At certain points on the route the roads are very twisty and can be dangerous.
They're well used by car clubs and bike clubs alike so please, stick to your lane unless you really can see it is safe and clear to over take.
I would hate to see someones day ruined via a speeding ticket, impounded car....or wors
e!

That said, there's already a fair few members interested and a good bit of buzz and feedback so far (in a seprate thread)
If your coming along. Slap your name down below. :cheers:

Bug

Megane rs250
Cracking route any chance of me meeting you on the A4042 pontypool mcdonalds saves me going newport then coming all the way back

Clio 172
Defo keen think it should be cut down a little bit though as with a convoy driving slow is normally the way , gonna take us about 3 weeks to get to the final destination in a convoy lol , I don't know could be cool though

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Defo keen think it should be cut down a little bit though as with a convoy driving slow is normally the way , gonna take us about 3 weeks to get to the final destination in a convoy lol , I don't know could be cool though

Mehhhh, It's only got longer now since adding the black mountain road run on to it. I know the roads up there well (spent the summer of 2011 and 2012 abusing them on a gsxr600) so if were pushing for time there's plenty of sections that can be cut out and replaced with roads that are just as fun and a little shorter.

I don't think It'll be much of a convoy as people are welcome to go at there own pace and we're bound to get broken up by bikes up there.

Clio 172
Yeah I've never been in any of my cars yet so haven't got a clue where I'm going haha , exciting though seen a few vids , and a few bad vids like a type r doing the black mountain run and coming off the hedge! Haha

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Crash at mine the night before, and we can convoy up together ;)

Lets get the list going;

1. Filters
2. Cub.

The full list was on the idea thread...not sure it its the same but so far it was.....

1. sharkyuk
2. grantynp3
3. 182Trophy
4. chapperzuk
5. tonyd106
6. BigBarry172
7. hodgins
8. j44snb
9. tomSX
10. danGill
11. mattW
12. cub
13. bug
14. craig_b

The route goes past goytre so i'll just wait for everyone. Any chance you could drop me a text when you're all leaving?

As a rep surely you should be at the main meet point boyo!
But aii go on, drop me a pm with your number.

172 Flamer
Bug & Craig B (& Filters!) can I meet up with you guys at Pontypool McDonalds too? Lookin' forward to it already!

Cheers

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Bug & Craig B (& Filters!) can I meet up with you guys at Pontypool McDonalds too? Lookin' forward to it already!

Cheers

That's fine dude :approve: though at this rate it's going to get confusing on who I'm going to need to contact to meet us at which ever point. Everyone will end up having to keep there eyes and ears open.

Focus RS + S3
I'll probably go to pontypool too guys, saves me going all the way to Newport to come back lol

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol!

i drive to Newport tesco 5 days a week I need a day off lol

I tell you what then seeing as the car park is bigger, if the people planning on catching the convoy park up by best western/kfc instead of mcdonalds, we could spin in and out so you can tag on. See if we can stop the whole roundabout lmfao.

Suzuki Jimny
I tell you what then seeing as the car park is bigger, if the people planning on catching the convoy park up by best western/kfc instead of mcdonalds, we could spin in and out so you can tag on. See if we can stop the whole roundabout lmfao.

Going to be a bit of a nightmare for everyone to get out on that roundabout. Maybe the harvester bit would be easier to meet up at.

Bug

Megane rs250
Going to be a bit of a nightmare for everyone to get out on that roundabout. Maybe the harvester bit would be easier to meet up at.

Yeah thats just on the other side of the roundabout then?
Be much easier if its where im thinking just off to the first exit and straight up the by pass then

Suzuki Jimny
Be much easier if its where im thinking just off to the first exit and straight up the by pass then

Yep exactly that one. Plenty of space to park too.

Bug

Megane rs250
Yep exactly that one. Plenty of space to park too.

your up early mate, alright tidy I know the place now, be getting a mcdonalds then wait around the everyone
Had my prospeed exhaust yesterday much better than standard :)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I think The Harvester would definitely be the better place to meet up for those who won't be starting from Newport.

:rofl:...........shall I just make that the main meet point?
Genuinely not trying to be a d*ck about it guys....just Newport was fine with everyone when the ideas were thrown around.

It is going to get confusing for some and defeats the object of arranging a meet point if there's going to be various other meet points along the way.
It also took a fair bit of time getting every ones views and opinions on setting up a decent day for everyone, to organize things and get the ball rolling.

I live out of the way of Newport myself (off junction 24...but I'm a long long way off junction 24 back towards Chepstow) so I will be traveling 20+ miles to Tesco.

I know it's less than that from Pontypool, so come on guys....a little bit of effort for a little bit of effort spent? maybe? :)

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! Your efforts are appreciated mate. I don't mind where the meeting point is really. As long as the meeting point(s) are suitable and safe, with easy access, then all is good. I'd suggest you set the time and place, set it in concrete, and go with that. It's then up to those interested as to whether or not they meet up at the start or risk attempting to join the meet en-route.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
:rofl: I'm sure they are appreciated bud, I had set it in stone...TBH I should of said no to those wanting to meet in pontypool....so :eek: NO! :)

That was the main reason behind having the meet point in Newport mucka, less risk of people getting left behind and when you consider the fact that members like "Cub." and "tomSX" are going to be coming across from England it's closer for them and equally as fair for welsh members.
Oh and the fact there will no doubt be stragglers, it saves people potentially missing out.

Meet @11am Sunday 6th of April.
Tesco, Newport retail estate
(NP19 4TX for sat-nav users)
Leave for Rhayader via Pontypool, Brecon, Landovery and Builth Wells + more @11:30am.

So it was written, so it shall remain. :rasp:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well done buddy - I think it's for the best. Sure, it will no doubt annoy a few people but you've done the work, set the route, etc. and sensibly suggested a good start point (that's fair considering some folks are coming in from miiiiiiles away; a different country in fact!) Newport sounds good. I'll be there.

clio 182 trophy
your up early mate, alright tidy I know the place now, be getting a mcdonalds then wait around the everyone
Had my prospeed exhaust yesterday much better than standard :)

I have a prospeed on my T. Sounds very good imo.