ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newport to Rhayader - Sunday 6th April - 200+ miles of tarmac.

Bug

Megane rs250
Getting there slowly but surely bug!
Having physio on my knee and hip at the moment, been given plenty of exercises that are helping to get me more mobile, still sore as f**k but hopefully that should be easing soon. Still awaiting further tests/examinations on my foot wrist and shoulder though. Forking NHS :banghead:

I'm still feeling doubtful that I'll be taking part in the drive but I will be heading down for the initial meet!

Sound terrible mate, the NHS need to pull their finger out
Yeah be great if you could make it to newport be nice to actually meet you

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I did most of the route on Saturday, it's very good and is good for drivers of all types. @Filters , any thoughts on you coming? You probably know better places to stop. :)

I honestly couldn't say chap. Had to drive to SJM and back yesterday and even though it's only 120 miles in total, it's forkin broken me to the point I can't sleep. Got there at 10am and left at 4pm-ish so was a good break between drives.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like we have a new guy attending.
Make Jonesaaaay93 feel welcome now chaps..

1. sharkyuk - Maybe
2. grantynp3
3. 182Trophy
4. chapperzuk
5. Tonyd106
6. BigBarry172
7. hodgins
8. j44snb
9. tomSX
10. danGill
11. Coreycolewilkins
12. bug
13. craig_b
14. clio-addidas
15. M4D Max
16. RyanJ
17. -Chris
18. MJRacing
19. Cooperate
20. Dano'
21. Lawro
22. Tree200
23. harp172
24. msremmert
25. ash'
26. Jonesaaaay93

Bug

Megane rs250
Looks like we'll have a good day then trying to convince my mate to bring his low 1.2 clio but he's not having any of it aha
Getting a good service before this so the car can run sweet for the day with fresh blood

Focus RS + S3
Its going to be busy up there,

the Zetec S owners are up there too, coincidence as they been planning since november too lol

should be a good day

I went up the Elan Valley again (man I'm wasting a lot on fuel) and scoped out the route again. :) It's a cracking route.
I went looking for a few nice places to stop just in case Filters isn't there to lead the way.

It might actually be worth going a little earlier in the day tbh, there's a lot of tourists doing 40 in the nationals to dodge.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
With some stroke of luck msremmert a letter arrived today for the two main appointments I've been waiting on (nerve conduction studies and emg tests) they've given me the appointments on the Tuesday before the meet......my fingers are crossed!!

Bug

Megane rs250
Hopefully you can make it filters, all the best with it
Sharky you coming now or not dying to see the vee in action

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully you can make it filters, all the best with it
Sharky you coming now or not dying to see the vee in action
No mate - sadly I won't be around. I am now triple-booked for this date and, sadly, the two fun things I would prefer to do (including this drive) are not going to happen. :( A bit gutted to be honest as I really like the roads that are included in the route. I'll be on the next one though... :)

With some stroke of luck @msremmert a letter arrived today for the two main appointments I've been waiting on (nerve conduction studies and emg tests) they've given me the appointments on the Tuesday before the meet......my fingers are crossed!!

Oh brilliant mate! I hope you get some relief soon. :) Be really good to have you along - Even if you are a co-pilot lol.
At any rate I've done the route a few times now, spent lots of fuel having fun - so I can confidently lead the way unless you want to get a mate to do it instead - I'm indifferent, I just hope you feel better!

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh brilliant mate! I hope you get some relief soon. :) Be really good to have you along - Even if you are a co-pilot lol.
At any rate I've done the route a few times now, spent lots of fuel having fun - so I can confidently lead the way unless you want to get a mate to do it instead - I'm indifferent, I just hope you feel better!

I did see chap...made me bloody jealous! Looks like you've been having a whale of a time up there!
IF I'm in a good enough state to drive the route we can always split the leading duties....I say if as the tests are only going to give answers not a cure to the problems.

How were the road surfaces up there mike....smooth? Last time i was up that way (16 months back at-least) they were planning to resurface the majority of the route that's planned but I've not had a chance to get up there since.

I did see chap...made me bloody jealous! Looks like you've been having a whale of a time up there!
IF I'm in a good enough state to drive the route we can always split the leading duties....I say if as the tests are only going to give answers not a cure to the problems.

How were the road surfaces up there mike....smooth? Last time i was up that way (16 months back at-least) they were planning to resurface the majority of the route that's planned but I've not had a chance to get up there since.

You organised this mate - you dictate. If you can't make it or need a hand in any way at all, simply let me know. For now I'll work on the assumption that you'll be coming along though. :)

Everything around there is smoooooooooth :D The Black Mountain road is probably one of the best maintained roads on earth.

However once you go past Rhayader things start to get bumpy again. You can maintain 60 (...or more...) until the climb to the damn when the roads narrow, get bumpy and you won't want to go over 30. But then the scenery there is stunning and you won't want to go over 30 anyway. The roads aren't full of potholes, they're just not really hooning roads IMO - especially with my over-sprung and under-damped car with its solid top mounts :p Lol you feel everything through those fcuking things...

Lots of top opportunities for photos if anybody wants to bring a camera along though.

That was the Elan Dam yesterday - much quieter than the last time I was up there now it's not sloshing down everyday.

2014-03-23165344_zps14799556.jpg

I actually have a day off on Friday (makes a nice change) and I'll be setting off fairly early but if anyone fancies tagging along for drive then I'm always up for the company. :)

Last edited:

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I might well tag along @msremmert
fancy jumping in my car and coming for a scout up there?

If i find it to hard pushed...you'd be welcome to have a blast behind the wheel and play about with the cams n new short shifter through the lanes.

Last edited:
I might well tag along @msremmert
fancy jumping in my car and coming for a scout up there?

If i find it to hard pushed...you'd be welcome to have a blast behind the wheel and play about with the cams n new short shifter through the lanes.

Mate I would have absolutely loved this but I'm away this weekend. :( And won't be back till late on Sunday.
I actually moved a holiday from next weekend to this weekend so I could make the drive lol (what they don't know can't hurt, right?) :rasp:

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mate I would have absolutely loved this but I'm away this weekend. :( And won't be back till late on Sunday.
I actually moved a holiday from next weekend to this weekend so I could make the drive lol (what they don't know can't hurt, right?) :rasp:

I meant on friday....edited my post cos of your edit :slap: pmsl

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
After today's experience chaps I have come to the conclusion that the black mountain road will be taken out of the route.
Sorry if this bothers any but after almost loosing a member on there today, it really is not worth the risks.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
s**te just seen the other thread, glad @msremmert is ok. Sound like you done good today fella.

Just shows how easy accidents can happen, glad your both ok.

Only did as anyone else would of in the same situation chap. But think the pictures says more than i can as to why that section of the routes coming out!

Hows all with you and yours?

clio 182 trophy
I am going to be struggling to do the whole 200 miles. Is there a route I could take say after 100 odd miles to head back to Bridgend?

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Rite ok that is fine! Thanks mate! Are you well enough to go then Filters? On the way back I will branch off down west. Is there a plan for a stop for food/drinks or?

I'm sore as hell after yesterdays drive but as Mike (msremmert) can't lead the pack now, it's only right that I'm there to make sure every one is as safe as can be.

I wouldn't want to lay the responsibility of the meet on anyone else now after what happened to Mike.

Last edited:

Bug

Megane rs250
Might have to head home earlier than the rest of you Sunday didnt realise the f1 is on at 4 so depending where we are around 2:30 I'll be looking to route back home around then but still really looking forward to this :)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
1. Filters
2. grantynp3
3. 182Trophy
4. Tonyd106
5. BigBarry172
6. hodgins
7. j44snb
8. tomSX
9. danGill
10. Coreycolewilkins
11. bug
12. craig_b
13. clio-addidas
14. M4D Max
15. RyanJ
16. -Chris
17. MJRacing
18. Cooperate
19. Dano'
20. Lawro
21. Tree200
22. harp172
23. ash'

Theres probably a few more but people haven't been adding themselves to the list LiquidYellDan ;)

Clio 172 (Now 182)
wow I was a bit gutted about the mountain road but see why now... so this will be my first meet, do I just turn up and follow everyone? lol