ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

1.8 Civic EX
So there I was happily playing a ps4 at the gadget show live then this happened......oops!

null_zps0dc41f30.jpg

null_zps592927cd.jpg

Mini JCW
I wonder if the Xbox one will be bug free? Must be the mere 720p resolution that helps it ;).

Hoping to pick the XB1 up early next year though :)

1.8 Civic EX
Lol not had a go on the xbox yet. walked past the stand and Forza 5 looked great. Gt6 on the ps3 looked pants in comparison.

Had a go on killzone on the ps4 too. Looked pretty and felt real smooth to play though I felt a bit motion sick afterwards which is odd seeing as I've been playing games for years and never really suffered from that before.....

1.8 Civic EX
Just played Forza 5. That's sealed the deal and confirmed for me that i made the right choice in preordering xbox one and not a ps4

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It's the games developers that choose the output resolution, not MS.

Fifa, Forza and now NBA2k14 are all 1080p 60fps on XBO.

Amusing that 1080p and 60fps we're never important. It was always about the gameplay only. Now it's one of the most discussed topics in next generation console gaming ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's the games developers that choose the output resolution, not MS.

Fifa, Forza and now NBA2k14 are all 1080p 60fps on XBO.

Nobody likes basketball games on here, but NBA2K14 is looking to be a massive step up from the current gen

Next gen:

[youtube]V05u5DCnPCs[/youtube]

Current gen:

[youtube]-rtONLEAWzQ[/youtube]

For the next gen version, they have face scanned the vast majority of the NBA, which is utterly insane.

Basketball lover or not, those graphics are almost real like! (apart from circles under the players lol).

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Basketball lover or not, those graphics are almost real like! (apart from circles under the players lol).

Yup, tis insane.

The commentary also makes it very life like. My wife can't tell (even with the current gen one) whether I'm playing the game or watching it on TV if she overhears it.

So excited :D

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Couple of rather embarrassing quotes regarding the PS4 "dominance" over the XBO:

Quote from Mike Wang over at Visual Concepts: (NBA 2K)

"I love the PS4! I‘m a convert. I wasn’t a huge fan of the PS3 controller, but DualShock 4 is amazing, it feels perfect. I love the changes that Sony has done! The machine itself is ridiculous, it’s so powerful, so much easier to develop for. In the office it’s unanimous; we have a couple people who don’t play anything else now, they won’t touch Xbox One. We love the PS4, it’s a great system."

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/11/05/visual-concepts-loves-ps4-powerful

--

Metro | Call Of Duty: Ghosts Mark Rubin interview – ‘there are things that we’re not allowed to talk about’

GC: So, just finally, I have to ask: why does the PlayStation 4 version look so much better than the Xbox One? Is the resolution really the only difference?

MR: [laughs] Yep, it’s the only difference. The TVs are different on some of them, but… they both have their different rendering engines but they’re as close as possible. It really comes down to resolution. Xbox is upscaled 720, it’s outputting at 1080p but it’s upscaled from 720. Whereas PlayStation 4 is native 1080p. So that’s really the only graphical difference. But it is enough. Some people here are saying they don’t really notice a difference…

GC: Was that the guy with the white stick?

MR: [laugh] But yeah, the PS4 looks really good.

GC: Is the PC version still better?

MR: There’s actually some features that we’ve added to the PC that are definitively not on any other generation. We worked with Nvidia a lot with this, but we have a different form of anti-aliasing that’s really new and advanced – that isn’t on current or next gen. We have a fur shader on the dog and on the wolves, they actually have a moving fur shader that works really well, for PC. And the third one, which I think is one of the coolest ones, is we’re using Nvidia’s APEX Turbulence tech to have smoke that actually wisps and waves and moves out of the way of objects.

GC: So is that something the new consoles can’t do or you just didn’t have time to implement it?

MR: No, it’s… well, you can do almost anything, almost. Tessellation can’t be done on current gen for the most part, because it’s a DirectX 11 feature, but we could still do it but you’d get a frame rate of 2. So that really becomes the reason we do everything: the reason the Xbox One is 720, the reason the PlayStation 4 is 1080 is we’re trying to make the game look as good as it possible can and making sure we maintain our 60 frames per second.

We maintain the latency and the speed and the things that people actually care about. Even if they won’t admit it, the thing that makes Call Of Duty popular is how it feels, because of those priorities.

GC: So the obvious assumption from all this is that the PlayStation 4 is definitely more powerful than the Xbox One, is that true?

MR: [acting very embarrassed] I can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t answer it on a technical level or because you’re being diplomatic?

MR: Can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t say whether you’re avoiding the question for diplomatic reasons?

MR: [embarrassed] I just can’t say anything…

[Even the attending PR guy is looking embarrassed by this point]

PR guy: It’s very hard for us to be…

GC: Are the console manufacturers leaning on you to avoid these sort of questions?

MR: [unsure - speaking to PR guy] I don’t know if that…

MR: [even more embarrassed to us] Yeah, there’s things that we… We sign NDAs with the first parties [i.e. Microsoft and Sony - GC] and there are things that we’re not allowed to talk about.

GC: So when John Carmack and Shinji Mikami say the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are almost identical, is that something you could agree with?

MR: Hmm… I would say that’s a bit inaccurate but I wouldn’t be able to tell you any detail of why that’s inaccurate.

GC: For diplomatic reasons?

MR: Yes.

GC: Okay, that’s fine. I think we can all read between those lines. But that’s absurd, how can they not except any journalist, any reasonable journalist, not to ask that question? It’s what everyone wants to know.

MR: [still feeling very awkward] The key thing is we try to focus people away from that sort of thing and try to focus them on the fact that the game is fun no matter what platform it’s on.

GC: Do you think with the next game you make there will there be such an obvious disparity between the two formats?

MR: Unknown… But over time… If you look at Call Of Duty 2 compared to COD 4 there’s a massive graphic difference, they look very different. So I think we’ll get better, yes.

GC: But will that same proportional gap always be there?

MR: Don’t know. Until we get there I honestly don’t know. To be not diplomatic or anything [laughs] we really don’t know. We’ve done as much as we can in the time we have to get where we’re at. Will they close the gap? Will they go off in the opposite direction? Who knows? But for this game it is what it is.

GC: Do you think everyone else will have these same problems? All these other cross-generational games that are out at launch?

MR: Well, I think they’ve already said they are haven’t they? Battlefield 4 is 720 on Xbox One and I think 900 on PS4? Titanfall has said they’re 720… So we’re not the first to say we’re 720 on the Xbox One.

GC: No, no. So they’re all obviously hitting the same wall.

MR: Yeah, so you’re reading that correctly in that it’s not specifically us doing something villainous. It’s a thing where all of us have to work at getting better at developing for both consoles. And that’s the fun part. I always use the analogy that the first game on a new console is always like an awkward first date, but once you know a lot more about each other it’s a lot better.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo... talk about’&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13836854680717

Mini JCW
^ I still think the resolution difference, especially on a reference level TV will be very noticeable, and more noticeable as the developers get to grasp with the new systems tbh.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Personally don't think the future looks rosy for the Xbox one if most developers are struggling to get it to run games at native 1080p 60fps at this rate it will be due a replacement in 5 years not the 10 that they are expecting from it. I notice a big difference between 720 & 1080p, it has over double the amount of pixels so you would have to be partially blind to not notice:dead:

Mini JCW
The news follows additional reports that the much-anticipated Battlefield 4 title coming out for both consoles is also running at a higher resolution – 1,600-by-900 pixels – than the Xbox One version, which maxes out at 1,280 by 720.
"If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases," according to Eurogamer.
"On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1,600-by-900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 percent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426710,00.asp

Lancia Integrale
Anyone else had the email from GAME asking for payment for the Xbox ONE? Is this just incase they go bankrupt again?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else had the email from GAME asking for payment for the Xbox ONE? Is this just incase they go bankrupt again?

Nope, I paid for it in a shop (well, my wife did) this week.

They phoned me weeks ago now asking the same thing about the PS4, so I assume it is a fairly standard thing with new console launches.

Right, so I've not really been looking at getting a next gen console, as I'm happy with my PS3 for now - for the little that it gets used. If I was to get one at launch, I feel I would have swayed towards PS4.

However, watching this video makes me want a XBOX ONE yesterday. Specifically the Insanity stuff. And I'm that guy who has never played with Kinect (I don't think..).

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Right, so I've not really been looking at getting a next gen console, as I'm happy with my PS3 for now - for the little that it gets used. If I was to get one at launch, I feel I would have swayed towards PS4.

However, watching this video makes me want a XBOX ONE yesterday. Specifically the Insanity stuff. And I'm that guy who has never played with Kinect (I don't think..).
It's interesting to see that so many people are already dismissing the new Kinect, or are so against it. Why? Well, I'm sure the reasons are numerous and - let's face it - I don't think the Kinect with 360 really brought much to the table. I think it (Kinect 2) needs some novel applications to win over the punters. It's not good enough just to be another novelty input method for the latest social / party bowling and cutesy sports games.

I really hope it finds a place as a worthwhile component in the XB1's arsenal because it is quite a clever bit of technology. The amount of processing involved with running the Kinect 2 is not insignificant so I hope they can make it count; 'they' being game developers. I sincerely hope the innovation in using the Kinect 2 comes from the gaming world and not just from academia, geeky home-brew projects and R&D programmes outside of the gaming domain (which it seemed to do with Kinect 1 on 360).

Ph 1 172
I liked kinect on 360 and use it daily! I believe the reason why kinect on 360 didn't work is because hardly anyone had one (compared to the amount of people that bought xbox's worldwide) because so few people had them it offered no real ins entice for games developers to waste hundreds of thousands of pounds designing a game that only a select few would play. Kinect 2 on the other hand everyone will have one so games developers have a much higher chance of people purchasing a kinect game or even trying out features of kinect.

Kinect was fantastic in voice control with forza horizon, and my little boy all ways use kinect to scan for films on now tv, I am really looking forward to the new xbox to see what they do with kinect.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
only 2 standing poses though hands behind back and hands on hips lol... Game looks wicked though well tempted to get it

Aye I noticed that. Players hands on hips, coaches arms behind their backs.

Not too shabby for a first go at next gen though tbf. Can't wait to see what they manage to do when they've had another year of working with the hardware.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You know how much effort has gone into that game by the install size:

Fifa 14 9GB
NBA 2K14 43GB

Mental.