ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
haha thats really cool!

Bit of a gimmick? I'm guessing XBOX One Kinect will be more advanced seeing as though they already have a tried and tested product out there?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I imagine most of it is because they don't have to compress the art now, so are going full r****d with file sizes.
Art resources / assets are still compressed, mate. There's just a whole lot more of them these days! :)

haha thats really cool!

Bit of a gimmick? I'm guessing XBOX One Kinect will be more advanced seeing as though they already have a tried and tested product out there?
Kinect is way more advanced, but it's been in development for so much longer and is a key part of Xbox's roadmap. It will be interesting to see if Sony think that a Kinect-like add-on would be an important part of their offerings going forward (although I think their current plans are focused elsewhere).

AK

M240i
So once they release a Kinect-like item which costs £50+ then the price difference between the two consoles reduces significantly.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yep would really look forward to Dead Rising if for some mad reason I bought a 720.... Would look stunning in 720p & 30fps but unfortunately it doesn't seem capable of holding 30fps so chugs along around the 20fps mark:cool: Could be forgiven for thinking its running on a 360.... poor machine, the future looks rosy:dapprove:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-dead-rising-3
A good example of what happens when an 'old' engine is used so that a game can be rushed to market for that lucrative console launch window... which is a real shame. :( The XBOne should comfortably be able to handle this game at 30fps at 720p! It's not a good advert for the console at all. A re-factored engine and more time and this would run a whole lot better. But at the expense of significantly increasing the development time. I was looking forward to playing this alongside Forza as well.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
A good example of what happens when an 'old' engine is used so that a game can be rushed to market for that lucrative console launch window... which is a real shame. :( The XBOne should comfortably be able to handle this game at 30fps at 720p! It's not a good advert for the console at all. A re-factored engine and more time and this would run a whole lot better. But at the expense of significantly increasing the development time. I was looking forward to playing this alongside Forza as well.

Will you be getting both the PS4 and XBO Sharky?

Any thoughts on which would be the better buy or which you're most excited about?

Revels Mum & Sister

Agreed it is nothing to do with the hardware in this case but is the developer.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Al_G
I cancelled my PS4 pre-order a couple days back mate. Not because I don't want one, but because there are zero games I'm interested in playing at launch. As a result, it's now just Xbox One for me. Mind you, if I had to pick a side I guess I'm more Xbox fanboi than PlayStation fanboi! LOL! :)

Which is the better buy / offers most potential excitement? I think the Xbox One is the better buy at the moment as, in my opinion, it offers the best of the launch titles (even though - arguably - both line-ups are relatively weak). I also believe it offers the best online networking and social experience, which is a definite plus as console gaming is about as much engaging with mates as it is just playing solo. As said, this is personal preference and the PS4 will be bought as soon as there are a handful of titles I'm keen to play. :)

Also, the massive PS4 performance benefits that are demonstrably superior to Xbox One... I'm yet to be convinced. This 50% more powerful is pure bull-pooh. In my experience I am aware of projects on both platforms that run like s**t and some that run beautifully; at a range of resolutions from 720p to 1080p and a variety of upscaled hybrids in-between, on both consoles. It's early days yet and the sheer grunt of the PS4 is definitely a boon to PS4 (and the fact it's more PC-like than the Xbox One, making - as reported - for easier porting and cross-platform development). Once the next-gen console engines / extensions have matured then I fully expect to see an improvement in performance on both systems with more games targetting 900p and 1080p native resolutions. The thing to remember is that a lot of developers are only receiving their finalised Xbox One and PS4 dev-kits as we speak. Even the big first-party developers didn't receive their updated dev hardware until late-on. And, interestingly, there have been enough changes to the fundamental spec along the way to cause them a few headaches!

All in my opinion. :)
/disclaimer

My mate sent me this link earlier...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
Has anyone linked the 'review' of the PS4 by Polygon?

Andy I'm sure the PS4 is using a similar OGL based API to the PS3 with some new extensions, looks like developers are struggling to get to grips with it though either way.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
@Al_G
I cancelled my PS4 pre-order a couple days back mate. Not because I don't want one, but because there are zero games I'm interested in playing at launch. As a result, it's now just Xbox One for me. Mind you, if I had to pick a side I guess I'm more Xbox fanboi than PlayStation fanboi! LOL! :)

Which is the better buy / offers most potential excitement? I think the Xbox One is the better buy at the moment as, in my opinion, it offers the best of the launch titles (even though - arguably - both line-ups are relatively weak). I also believe it offers the best online networking and social experience, which is a definite plus as console gaming is about as much engaging with mates as it is just playing solo. As said, this is personal preference and the PS4 will be bought as soon as there are a handful of titles I'm keen to play. :)

Also, the massive PS4 performance benefits that are demonstrably superior to Xbox One... I'm yet to be convinced. This 50% more powerful is pure bull-pooh. In my experience I am aware of projects on both platforms that run like s**t and some that run beautifully; at a range of resolutions from 720p to 1080p and a variety of upscaled hybrids in-between, on both consoles. It's early days yet and the sheer grunt of the PS4 is definitely a boon to PS4 (and the fact it's more PC-like than the Xbox One, making - as reported - for easier porting and cross-platform development). Once the next-gen console engines / extensions have matured then I fully expect to see an improvement in performance on both systems with more games targetting 900p and 1080p native resolutions. The thing to remember is that a lot of developers are only receiving their finalised Xbox One and PS4 dev-kits as we speak. Even the big first-party developers didn't receive their updated dev hardware until late-on. And, interestingly, there have been enough changes to the fundamental spec along the way to cause them a few headaches!

I completely agree mate.

I think for most their purchase will depend on what their mates are getting.

The South Park vid sums up the situation well.

I can't wait to see the quality of games that developers are churning out in 2-3 years time.

Exciting times ahead.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Is it me or is there a distinct shortage of in-depth Xbox One reviews? Considering it's out first i thought there'd be a few now.

The embargo doesn't lift until next week so there'll be nothing until then.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I thought that! Think the XBO has more jaggies though but what do I know???

It doesn't help that the PS4's black don't look as dark - they should have set them both up the same because the Xbox looks better straight away.

Not much in it mind - Still more than happy the Xbox is one I went for.

Loving my 3DS at the moment though!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
In the first 20secs I watched, XBO looks clearer by a mile.
I think it's largely due to the higher contrast between the light and darker ends of the colour spectrum and the hardware upscaling (which may or may not do something clever), as opposed to the upscaling utilised by the PS4. The PS4 does look a little fuzzed (but not at all bad) but the higher res results in less shimmering and better realisation of thin primitives/objects and distant alpha'd objects.

It doesn't help that the PS4's black don't look as dark - they should have set them both up the same because the Xbox looks better straight away.
I *think* I recall hearing that the Xbox One version is darker due to the fact that they hadn't implemented a GI stage of their lighting; hence the dark areas are overly dark whereas the PS4 version simulates 'bounced' light in the scene, hence appears brighter. I don't recall whether or not the dev's said they'd add this stage to the Xbox One version or leave as is, though. If they add it I would expect the results to be closer to the PS4 version in terms of contrast and overall less dark areas. I hope that makes sense. Typed in a hurry! LOL!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
It does :)

I was trying to avoid adding that to my overall impression - to my eyes, and especially when you're playing the game properly and looking for your next victim - there feck all in it really.

AK

M240i
PS4 guys:

just a quick summary on the deals GAME are offering on launch day from midnight onwards if you have a PS4 to collect..

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes half price at £24.99

PlayStation Plus 1 year subscription for £29.99 (£10 off.. means 3 extra launch games)

Gameware PS4 Vertical Stand half price at £7.50

Gameware PS4 Starter Pack half price at £24.99:
(Gaming Headset, Vertical Stand, Dual Charging Station)

The Official PS4 stereo headset for £69.99 (£30 off RRP)

Call of Duty: Ghosts for free if you trade in the current-gen version from GAME.

£10 off Killzone: Shadow Fall, FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, Knack, Need For Speed: Rivals, NBA 2K14, Madden NFL, Putty Squad. (expected to be £39.99-£44.99 or there abouts)

New Blu-rays for £12.99 each: The Wolverine, Man Of Steel, Despicable Me 2, Kick-Ass 2, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, Pacific Rim.

20% extra on Trade-ins towards your PS4 from Now until 28th November.

These deals can all be arranged in a one-to-one over the next fortnight to create your own launch day bundle and also can be Pre-Paid on the 27th/28th so that you just walk in store with your ticket and take your goody bag home on midnight/day launch.. otherwise you can pay for them on the day while stocks last.

Some of these rumors have been circulating the net the last few days and i have now received photographic evidence confirming it along with a phone call from my local store.

GREATNESS AWAITS!

PSN: Chelseapaul

Evo 5 RS
Uncharted 4 you say? Interesting. I've yet to complete 3 personally. Didn't grab me like 2 did. The Last of Us on the other hand...one of the greatest games ever made, basically.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Uncharted 4 you say? Interesting. I've yet to complete 3 personally. Didn't grab me like 2 did. The Last of Us on the other hand...one of the greatest games ever made, basically.

I enjoyed The Last Of Us, but IMO it wasn't as good as critics made out. More of a cinematic movie rather than pushing you to do anything. It never got any harder and there were times when you were just wandering around doing nothing, actually hoping for a bit of change or there to be enemies in certain rooms. Atmospherically it was great and the story telling was sensational. But I felt a little let down overall.

Uncharted 2, on the other hand... best single player game I've played.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Any idea about headsets yet?

Am I going to need to fork out for a new Turtle Beach? :(
Hopefully not, mine was around £200. The game deals sound good, although surely it's too late to pre order now and get it at midnight on release.

Mito Sportiva 135
I'm going to wait and buy a new headset I think, currently only have the 360 bluetooth set after selling my Turtlebeach set (MUG!!!)